Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Energy"

DavidFord

Hi Members.

Since I just posted a 'Im new here' type topic, I guess I'll show my most recent jam Im working on. The first 50 seconds needs to be redone. This I know. That intro guitar I did which I called "Intro Siren" on the track, is a real bugger. With that hand placement and hitting record, just was giving me a hard time. I think I I ended up that track being labled "Intro Siren # 3) before I decided to call F.M.L!! with swear words and all HAHAHAHA. Couldnt get it right, so I copied and pasted for the first time ever. Dont know how to edit music. Im redoing.

Then after the intro siren and play verse 1, I think I overlapped too much, which created a muffled sound. So the first 50 are going to be done over. I really liked the melody at 50 seconds, which is why I ended it with it. I tried to give as much Satriani influence as I could. But anyway, here is my tune "Energy" PS: I also gave a link in the video info area to the original backtrack creator.

[video:youtube]

Instrumental Rock, is the only way to go

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you desertbluesman.

Nice work DavidFord. Interesting arrangement,

I appreciate you noticing that. Satch in one of his lessons on Youtube said, sometimes, you keep a note hanging (or something like that) to have the listeners say "where is he going with that" I really wanted to do that big time. In that last line (verse 2) before ending melody I tried to achieve that (at the 4 minute mark) I also have a bit of "Searching" in that spot. Thank you again! :)

I was/am a big admirer of Satch. His first offerings were as far out as you could get and still sound like he came down from the 60's guys (I was one of those hippies in the crowds at the original Woodstock concert) He was the only one who carried that torch of innovation in his own way, after the 60's/70's musical innovations died off (in popularity)

In my mind he is up there with the best of the innovators of all time, in his early works. The only other one of his era that I admire as much as Satch is Steve Morse when he was with the Dixie Dregs. What a band that was........

I appreciate you noticing that. Satch in one of his lessons on Youtube said, sometimes, you keep a note hanging (or something like that) to have the listeners say "where is he going with that" I really wanted to do that big time. In that last line (verse 2) before ending melody I tried to achieve that (at the 4 minute mark) I also have a bit of "Searching" in that spot. Thank you again! :)

I noticed it because I also produced my own music, and after hundreds and perhaps thousands of hours in my home studio's (both tape based analog, and computer based digital). I am hip to the process by long hours remixing arraigning and re-arraigning.

I was/am a big admirer of Satch. His first offerings were as far out as you could get and still sound like he came down from the 60's guys (I was one of those hippies in the crowds at the original Woodstock concert) He was the only one who carried that torch of innovation in his own way, after the 60's/70's musical innovations died off (in popularity)

In my mind he is up there with the best of the innovators of all time, in his early works. The only other one of his era that I admire as much as Satch is Steve Morse when he was with the Dixie Dregs. What a band that was........

I dont know why, but you just reminded me of Janis Joplin LOL. My son asked me why we thought she was so great in that time. I told him, its because she WAS different. Not everyone HAS to sound like Whitney Houston. Somehow Janis separated herself from the rest, and became unique in her own. He believes singers should always try to 'out do each other' Personally i call them all 'Microphone humpers' and someday there going to give birth :D

I noticed it because I also produced my own music, and after hundreds and perhaps thousands of hours in my home studio's (both tape based analog, and computer based digital). I am hip to the process by long hours remixing arraigning and re-arraigning.

I have a lot of respect for that. We have something in common :)

I dont know why, but you just reminded me of Janis Joplin LOL. My son asked me why we thought she was so great in that time. I told him, its because she WAS different. Not everyone HAS to sound like Whitney Houston. Somehow Janis separated herself from the rest, and became unique in her own. He believes singers should always try to 'out do each other' Personally i call them all 'Microphone humpers' and someday there going to give birth :D

Janis was a real freak (as we called each other back in the hippy days) we were floored by the way she let it all hang out no matter what. I really liked the San Francisco bunch back in the late 60's. We were some of the first of the hippies back then in our little East coast Jersey shore town, and the bunch from San Fransisco were the real freaks of the time. Big Brother Holding Company (Janis first famous band), The Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and that whole bunch. Of course later on we began to like all of the freak bands. I started out singing a-Capella on the street corner and ignored the whole freak scene, until I did some acid one night and my late friend came up behind me and clapped a set of head phone on my ears just as I was peeking, and playing was Crossroads by the Cream on their Wheels of Fire album. Next day I went out and bought my first guitar. Been pickin and grinnin ever since. Never looked back......

Janis was a real freak (as we called each other back in the hippy days) we were floored by the way she let it all hang out no matter what. I really liked the San Francisco bunch back in the late 60's. We were some of the first of the hippies back then in our little East coast Jersey shore town, and the bunch from San Fransisco were the real freaks of the time. Big Brother Holding Company (Janis first famous band), The Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and that whole bunch. Of course later on we began to like all of the freak bands. I started out singing a-Capella on the street corner and ignored the whole freak scene, until I did some acid one night and my late friend came up behind me and clapped a set of head phone on my ears just as I was peeking, and playing was Crossroads by the Cream on their Wheels of Fire album. Next day I went out and bought my first guitar. Been pickin and grinnin ever since. Never looked back......

Thank you for that story. I absolutely love moments like that. Really, and honestly. Its seriously defines us, who we have become today. Id rather be 47, than 17 in the music industry today. The stories were real, and some of the greats have a similar background to what you just told. The way musicians of today's era is, isnt the same. Everything is simplified. Of course, Im not going to deny the use of Internet and home studios of today isnt great. Im happy I have it. But too hear the old ways of musicians have flavor. I can appreciate your story. And also, Im sorry about your late friend. May he Rest In Peace.

The Chantays had named one of their tunes "Liberty's Whip". Then they watched a surfing competition out of Hawaii and renamed the tune Pipeline. It became a surfing tune icon...glad both you and Surfer Girl heard what I did David, as it reminded me of many surfing videos and the music behind them that are on YouTube! :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

@ DBM, For me it's the story that's being similar. Where a tune is written without thinking of it as a surf tune, then someone comes along and mentions it or you see and hear something similar on TV and think yeah, I can see that! The next thing you know they are playing your tune as the backing track for a surfing competition. I could just see in my mind the surfers riding the pipelines and big waves...about 3/4 of the way through the tune slows way down and it's like the camera is under the foam or under the pipe looking up as the sound muffles, then it comes back up and your back on top of the waves again! Anyway, just a thought and I knew your would appreciate it along with Surfer Girl as some of old surfers really appreciate the background music! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

about 3/4 of the way through the tune slows way down and it's like the camera is under the foam or under the pipe looking up as the sound muffles, then it comes back up and your back on top of the waves again!

Ahhh yes!!! I did something there. Im sure your saying "you didnt do anything" When writing to the track, I was playing at that point, also added the "intro siren" as I called it. Then I just decided to leave it alone, and keep it solo-less. Which I thought was a better choice. When I come back as you say "on top of the waves again" I wanted a kind of quirkiness or oddity that almost sounds if it didnt belong. Satriani states many times, how a listener will think they know where you are going with something, and then you change direction. His surfing with the alien lesson on youtube, explains that idea. That 3/4 part was fun too come up with.