Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

From the "They don't make 'em like they used to" department

As some of you know, I have been looking for a half rack fx box to enliven my new mellotron. I ended up with an old Boss VF-1 unit. It arrived today, and I've already found the warm hall verb I wanted for the string sounds.

Tonight while mounting it into the rack shelf where it will live, I dropped it from chest height onto a concrete floor. I looked down in horror expecting to see broken pot shafts and a dented chassis.

Nothing. Nada. I could not find a mark on it, and it still worked when I plugged it back in. Now I remember one of the reasons I used to be such a Roland fanboy.

Moe

---

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You weren't supposed to drop it anyway, especially on a concrete floor.. :poke:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That reminds me of the time I stood my XP-30 against the door that leads out to the garage while I was moving some equipment around. My wife and I ran to the grocery store and decided to come back in through the garage. Naturally, I forgot the XP-30 was there. The keyboard went over, face first, onto the tiled hallway floor. The sound was sickening and I was pretty sure that thing was toast. But there was no discernible damage and it fired right up and behaved itself until I sold it years later.

Somewhere around 89 or 90, I dropped an Akai rackmount sampler from about waist high - had to have it repaired. :blush:

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I was loading gear into my car after a gig... rainy night and my hands were wet. I went to take my Korg Triton off the stand and it slipped onto the stage floor from just under waist height. :freak:

Naturally I expected the worst, but after a few seconds of shock I picked it up for inspection. There was only a small crack in the left end cheek, which is right next to the floppy drive. Fortunately everything still worked and the Triton is still going strong today, although I haven't used the floppy drive in ages.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I I haven't used the floppy drive in ages.

what is a floppy drive ?

Guessing its someone in a car going under the speed limit ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

You weren't supposed to drop it anyway, especially on a concrete floor.. :poke:

anyway, a proper durability test is to drop it down 2 flights of stairs in a dive bar :)

[70's Songwriter]

what is a floppy drive ?

Floppy drives are illegal in 17 states now. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

what is a floppy drive ?

Floppy drives are illegal in 17 states now. :laugh:

Can blue tooth up my iPhone to a floppy drive ?

That way I can save my texts ;)

[70's Songwriter]

When loading out after a gig I leaned my ARP Omni 2, which was in a make-shift soft case (the bag for the legs of my Farfisa VIP 345), against the rear wheel of my car. I totally forgot about it, and in pulling out of the lot I slightly backed up and then drove forward. So yes, I ran over my ARP Omni 2. Fortunately, it was just a glancing blow, and as anyone who"s had an Omni 2 can attest, they were made of solid steel. It sustained a ding to the corner, but kept on working for many gigs thereafter, until I sold it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I once leaned my Roland VK-8 against a wall to load other equipment, and suddenly heard a bang so loud it registered on the local earthquake detection equipment. My board had fallen SMACK on its face against the concrete floor, so hard it would have knocked a person out.

Worked perfectly. Almost confusingly so.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

My female vocalist starts to fall off the edge of a small stage during setup. She instinctively reaches for something to avoid her fall. That would be my Nord Electro 2 on the 2nd tier of a standing position. Now both vocalist and keyboard fall to floor at the edge off the stage.

No damage to the ELECTRO.

Oh, and the vocalist was ok too.

(Yes, I checked her out first, but I must admit my attention was split between the two potential casualties.)

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

My female vocalist starts to fall off the edge of a small stage during setup. She instinctively reaches for something to avoid her fall. That would be my Nord Electro 2 on the 2nd tier of a standing position. Now both vocalist and keyboard fall to floor at the edge off the stage.

No damage to the ELECTRO.

Oh, and the vocalist was ok too.

(Yes, I checked her out first, but I must admit my attention was split between the two potential casualties.)

LOL.

I used to say of my ex that if her violin and our kids were both in the middle of the street and a car was coming, yes, she would save the kids, but she'd have to think about it for a second first.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Late 1980s. Playing a gig at CBGBs with my band BigTown. Record company execs coming. My rig is a Kurz K1000 and original Korg CX3 on a two tier USS A-frame. I assemble the A-frame, put it up on the elevated stage facing front right up against the edge, take my K1000 out of the case and put it on the stand.

Apparently, I hadn't really tightened the wheels that hold the tiers in place enough. :eek::facepalm:

When placed on the stand, the K1000 (which is rear-heavy) rotates away from me, falls backwards off the stand and off the stage, approximately 5-6 feel onto the floor. face down.

Everybody in the room gasps - me the loudest of all. I jump down, flip it over...and nothing looks broken (K1000 had a Hammond Suzuki keybed with steel plates in it). I take it back onto the stage, tighten, the wheels, put the K1000 up and wire it in...and it's completely fine.

Whew.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

When loading out after a gig I leaned my ARP Omni 2, which was in a make-shift soft case (the bag for the legs of my Farfisa VIP 345), against the rear wheel of my car. I totally forgot about it, and in pulling out of the lot I slightly backed up and then drove forward. So yes, I ran over my ARP Omni 2. Fortunately, it was just a glancing blow, and as anyone who"s had an Omni 2 can attest, they were made of solid steel. It sustained a ding to the corner, but kept on working for many gigs thereafter, until I sold it.

I had a similar situation with a Motif XS7. I partially backed over it, but luckily it only hit the case, for some reason this case has like a 1 foot extra bit on one of the ends. The keyboard was fine, the case was pretty busted. I felt like such an idiot!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I'll have Tim Cook get right on that.

Thats what I can count on the forum. Resourceful folks have good friends in high places, like at Apple ;)

[70's Songwriter]

My bass player's strap broke and his headstock slammed into the right side wood panel of my Nord, put a big dent-gouge in it.

The Nord is worth much more now, as it has the distinction of being dinged by a phenomenally great bass player.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Even some of the new Roland, while not seeming like they"re built tough, actually are

A couple years ago I lost grip on my FA-08 and it landed face first on the club floor.

I was sure that was the end of the board and possibly the gig that night.

Despite a scratch on one corner, the board was unscathed and worked perfectly that night and every gig since.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

what is a floppy drive ?
Actually, I have a Generalmusic/GEM S3 and I was able to replace the floppy drive with an emulator. Considering my woeful electronics skills, I was quite proud of myself...