Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Grandstage.....Anyone tried it?

I just got word the church in Simi I sub at frequently has acquired a Grandstage. I'll be giving it a go this Sunday. Not a real demanding context -- worship pop/rock/all triads :bor::bor: -- but nonetheless it will save me from schlepping the CP4 into the church at 7:30 AM. And I'll get an idea of how it fares in mono and just generally works in an ensemble.

I came across this. The pianist, Petrica Andrei, is obviously at a very high level, technically wise. A good representation in a more Jazz- fusiony type context. It sort of reminds of Chick with Dave Weckl. Very well done. I enjoyed hearing him and his Trio.

[video:youtube]

Man there are so many great players out there. Damn

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Hi Folks. Very nice Grandstage thread. I wanted to provide some input as I just purchased a new Grandstage about a month ago. Here is my situation. I play in a 9-piece band who does mostly covers from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. My top board is a Viscount Legend Solo and my bottom board was a Kawai MP7se which I sold to get the Grandstage. My stage monitors are the Yamaha DXR10's.

I sold the MP7se for 2 main reasons; it was just too damn heavy at 48 pounds and although the AP's and EP's were absolutely stunning, they didn't cut through in my band mix. Enter the Grandstage. This is what Iove about the Grandstage:

1. 73-key board weighs 37 pounds which is just perfect for me.

2. I am not a tweaker. When playing live, I layer, split, adjust layers volumes and sometimes EQ. The Grandstage lack of deep editing capabilities does not bother me at all.

3. It is so easy to change things on the fly. No flipping through menus or anything. All buttons and knobs. This is a big positive for me.

4. The AP's and EP's are excellent and cut through my band mix very clearly. The guitar players are not keeping me down. The other sounds are good and for layering and splitting they work fine.

5. As we cover 60's music, their Vox Continental sounds are dead on. Think the Doors music and this is the exact sound I have coming out of this board. The Farfisa is excellent also.

Are there better boards per se.......... absolutely. But when you combine the excellent sounds, playability in a live setting, weight and price ................ I am thrilled with this board.

Now I just need the wife to give me permission to sell my Legend Solo and buy a 2-manual Legend.

Cheers and the above is just my opinion. Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

I played the Grandstage for the first time at Gearfest yesterday. I focused almost exclusively on the acoustic piano programs and liked what I heard. I thought they sounded clear and punchy which would seem to work well in a live mix. Wish a couple of them were in my Kronos.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hi Folks. Very nice Grandstage thread. I wanted to provide some input as I just purchased a new Grandstage about a month ago. Here is my situation. I play in a 9-piece band who does mostly covers from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. My top board is a Viscount Legend Solo and my bottom board was a Kawai MP7se which I sold to get the Grandstage. My stage monitors are the Yamaha DXR10's.

I sold the MP7se for 2 main reasons; it was just too damn heavy at 48 pounds and although the AP's and EP's were absolutely stunning, they didn't cut through in my band mix. Enter the Grandstage. This is what Iove about the Grandstage:

1. 73-key board weighs 37 pounds which is just perfect for me.

2. I am not a tweaker. When playing live, I layer, split, adjust layers volumes and sometimes EQ. The Grandstage lack of deep editing capabilities does not bother me at all.

3. It is so easy to change things on the fly. No flipping through menus or anything. All buttons and knobs. This is a big positive for me.

4. The AP's and EP's are excellent and cut through my band mix very clearly. The guitar players are not keeping me down. The other sounds are good and for layering and splitting they work fine.

5. As we cover 60's music, their Vox Continental sounds are dead on. Think the Doors music and this is the exact sound I have coming out of this board. The Farfisa is excellent also.

Are there better boards per se.......... absolutely. But when you combine the excellent sounds, playability in a live setting, weight and price ................ I am thrilled with this board.

Now I just need the wife to give me permission to sell my Legend Solo and buy a 2-manual Legend.

Cheers and the above is just my opinion. Mike

I use my mp7 in rehearsal but take the grand stage with me due to weight. I second all that you say about the board.

I just got word the church in Simi I sub at frequently has acquired a Grandstage. I'll be giving it a go this Sunday. Not a real demanding context -- worship pop/rock/all triads :bor::bor: -- but nonetheless it will save me from schlepping the CP4 into the church at 7:30 AM. And I'll get an idea of how it fares in mono and just generally works in an ensemble.

I came across this. The pianist, Petrica Andrei, is obviously at a very high level, technically wise. A good representation in a more Jazz- fusiony type context. It sort of reminds of Chick with Dave Weckl. Very well done. I enjoyed hearing him and his Trio.

[video:youtube]

Man there are so many great players out there. Damn

Jason you got that right this guy is amazing. Dave Ferris is also pretty impressive in his own right.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/grandstage/specifications.php

I assume so it is the same SGX-2 engine that is in the Kronos but I have heard people say it sounds different or better but have never played one myself just heard demo's.

I know you have more choices of different pianos Austrian, Fazoli, Italian, and the Grandstage that are not in the Kronos but you can purchase them at the Korg website for the Kronos. Also an Upright Grand is included in the Grandstage.

From my understanding most people prefer the German Grand which is in the Kronos.

Downside for me is if I want a stage piano I want it to be a modeled piano with alot of tweaking capabilities. I think the Grandstage is a sampled piano but the SGX-2 piano engine has it's advantages.

Yeah, I've been feeling this way about the RH3 for a long time. Not sure I would even thumb up the $700 D1 with it against a Casio PX or Yamaha P w/ GHS - or maybe I'd say it's alright in that class. But not compared to CP4 or MP7/ES8.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Did you try adjusting velocity curves at all? I haven't tried the Grandstage, but I know at least in the Kronos (which has the same action) some folks found improvement after going into global and changing the velocity curve.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I haven't been able to locate it which is frustrating as I have always been a Korg fan (have Krome, had SG Piano Rack, had SP280 until yesterday).

Do those of you find that the keyboard is worth the price and how do you like the RH3 action on it? (I currently have an ES8).

Yeah, I've been feeling this way about the RH3 for a long time. Not sure I would even thumb up the $700 D1 with it against a Casio PX or Yamaha P w/ GHS - or maybe I'd say it's alright in that class.

I enjoy the RH3 in the SV1, not in the Kronos. Haven't tried a Grandstage,

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, I've been feeling this way about the RH3 for a long time. Not sure I would even thumb up the $700 D1 with it against a Casio PX or Yamaha P w/ GHS - or maybe I'd say it's alright in that class. But not compared to CP4 or MP7/ES8.

I would go with the Yamaha P255 in a heartbeat over it. The P255 I don't think would sit, or cut through in a loud rock mix as well though. But as far as my context, no comparison as to my preference.

I've always liked the action- recently was on a cruise ship (vaca) and played a piano in a shell and found out it was the P255. I like it as much as my Kawai.

- I am wondering if they might be upgrading it soon- otherwise I would consider it

Yeah, I've been feeling this way about the RH3 for a long time. Not sure I would even thumb up the $700 D1 with it against a Casio PX or Yamaha P w/ GHS - or maybe I'd say it's alright in that class.

I agree on this. The SV1 action works great with the onboard EP sounds. Not so much the included acoustic pianos.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I liked the interaction of the RH3 with the APs better in the Grandstage than the Kronos. The proverbial finger to ear connection seemed better.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Agree 100%.

I'm fortunate to have both the SV1 and a KronosX 73. The SV1 keybed just feels MUCH better to me for EP's and AP's compared to the X. It's a joy to play.

Does aftertouch in the Kronos change the feel of the keybed that much?

Maybe it has to do with a different chassis and how it fits.

I liked the interaction of the RH3 with the APs better in the Grandstage than the Kronos. The proverbial finger to ear connection seemed better.

Greg must have thought so also. BTW, you should hear this cat play clavinet on weighted keys. Amazing.

brvyCB.jpg

:nopity:

Greg must have thought so also. BTW, you should hear this cat play clavinet on weighted keys. Amazing.

I also found the SV1 action pretty decent for clav. Not that I'm a big clav player, and I'm sure I'm less demanding than many. But the SV1 release point is lower than average, and that helps the clavs sound snappy.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

No one has mentioned the stand that is bundled with it increasing the price point. Has any other company besides Korg ever done this? Having said that, It is a great stand and I do like having it but never would have bought it separately.

I just demo'd a Grandstage side-by-side with a Dexibell Vivo S7, on headphones. For piano work, the Vivo simply runs circles around the Grandstage.

The GS is undeniably prettier, but like dating some young Instagram model, the attraction evaporates as soon as you put your fingers on it (that came out way creepier than I intended).

The Vivo has a more nuanced, detail, rich and alive piano tone, and there is a much faster, dynamic and expressive finger-to-ear connection than on the GS, which always felt like...sort of like playing piano with your fingers in thick yogurt or cottage cheese. And, now that I think about it, with your ears too.

I suppose the GS is a great backline choice if you ain't got nothin' else. But there are a lot of great options out there, and when you A/B them in the same room w headphones the differences are pretty substantial.

I just demo'd a Grandstage side-by-side with a Dexibell Vivo S7, on headphones. For piano work, the Vivo simply runs circles around the Grandstage.

wow! kudos to the dexibell!

The GS is undeniably prettier

that would hold true for pretty much any keyboard vs. the dexibell s7 ;)

The Vivo has a more nuanced, detail, rich and alive piano tone, and there is a much faster, dynamic and expressive finger-to-ear connection than on the GS, which always felt like...sort of like playing piano with your fingers in thick yogurt or cottage cheese. And, now that I think about it, with your ears too.

I suppose the GS is a great backline choice if you ain't got nothin' else. But there are a lot of great options out there, and when you A/B them in the same room w headphones the differences are pretty substantial.

nice to hear newcomer dexibell is making strides.

little bit surprised to see the s7 preferred to the grandstage.

thanks for the reviews tim and dave!

.... Jeff /// Yamaha P515 /// Roll Tide

• 4 months later...
Just tried out a Grandstage at Guitar Center. Pianos are pretty good, by favorites are the Japanese and Berlin grands. Strings are pretty good. Didn't see much for pad sounds, but I didn't have a lot of time to play around with the settings. Synth seems to be pretty good quality-wise. I like the simple "turn on each section and there is a dedicated volume knob just for it" feel of the board too. Sounded more than good enough for gigs. The RH3 felt great, interestingly enough. Not as nice as, for example, the Kawai ES8, but very nice nonetheless. I thought it was about as light as I would like. I wouldn't want it too much lighter.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed that! I had an SV1 73 and really liked it a lot. In fact I had a serious case of sellers remorse after I sold it to someone who really needed a good stage piano but couldn't afford a new one. Felt good to help out a fellow musician, but man did I miss it! The Grandstage has everything that I would have wanted in an SV2!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

• 8 months later...

Have a Grandstage for over 1-year now and really like it. I gig in a 9-piece band with 3 horn players. The AP's and EP's are outstanding but ................ you need to play them through quality speakers to appreciate the quality of the samples. Strings, Pads and Synth sounds are all there for what I use the board for and it is super easy to layer and split sounds.

The one thing I can't get on with is their CX-3 organ emulation. I just dont like the CX-3 sound. In any event I am using a Hammond SKx for organ sounds anyway.

I summary, for the price this is a GREAT 73-key stage piano. I highly recommend it.

Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

• 11 months later...