Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you know KB players in your town?

As I peruse Facebook and do my networking, it has dawned on me that I don't know a lot of local KB players. I really only know the ones I comoetemwith for gigs. It makes sense...I meet a lot of musicians and singers, drummers, etc playing around, but if im the KB player, why would I meet any of them? Is that your experience? Should I be networking differently?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same for me. I know truckloads of drummers, bass players, guitarists, singers, but when somebody asks me if I can recommend a good keyboardist for some band, I'm at a total loss.

The very few (2-3) I know are personal friends who happen to also play piano-keyboards, I didn't meet them for musical reasons.

I guess it's different for the musos who come out of music schools and/or teach, they will always have a bunch of former students-colleagues and probably know more keyboardists than musicians playing other instruments

I'm a trumpeter by trade and over the years found out that my enthusiasm and drive to play attracted other trumpeters without me networking that hard. Having a lot of gigs with different musicians and combinations help.
Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

I know Tucktronix, Sam, Mark Zegler (spelling). The Real MC and Wes Garland from the forum here. We are all within 3 hours of each other. Wes is north of me in Kingston ON. As for people right in my home town, I know a good majority of them but we travel in certain circles. Most guys here in Rochester , NY are really Hammond guys or play a lot of electric piano type sounds.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Most of the ones I know at all are jazz players, so they're more pianists than keyboard players. I've always wished there were more KCers around here. I know more KCers in NOLA and Dallas than Houston.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I know a few here in sleepy southeast PA, but they mostly play piano or electronic keyboards of the Yamaha PSR or YPG type.

I sold my Alesis Ion to a guitar player. Does that count? :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Al Quinn and Bobby Simmons I know personally and have been to their places ...I am grateful for that.. Both have helped me out at various times and have shared some time with each of them.

I actually have filled in for Bobby a number of times in his 'Clapton Chronicles' project ...

Al I have session-ed with at his amazing home studio on the Great South Bay of LI for some one on one Jazz piano discussion on Modal Jazz playing that I wanted some insight on. Al is a very knowledgeable and accomplished player and we jammed on a few Jazz standards...him on his A100/Leslie and me on his Yamaha C2 GP. Great stuff! He is pretty far from me being further out East on the Island than I.

Rich Forman is a local working LI player but we have never meet but have talked here about LI and the scene a bit...

And Joe Mascura and I have had discussions because I live in his old home town that he grew up in - Huntington, LI NY and share some acquaintances..I grew up in the City (North Shore of Queens by the East River) about 32 miles away.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

"Piano players rarely ever play together." - Allen Toussaint

But we should. To me, there is nothing better than a band with two keyboardists. Piano / B3 is a classic combo. You need two hands on each of those to make it sound right.

I know some of the keys players around NE Ohio because we fill in for each other, recommend each other if someone calls and we can't do the gig, hang out at jam nights, etc.

I have myself and another keyboard player who posts here sometimes. We work well together and although flute is her primary instrument she has good insight on her theory and chord voicing. She sings also which helps our lead singers. Two keyboard players is the way to go. No one is really doing that other than churches here. I remember Nils Lofgren saying before he joined the the E Street band that he was so found of that part of the band when he would see them. It works well if you can do it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

If my "town" is the SF Bay Area, then yes, I know several KB players. A few of them are top-tier pros who have played with name acts, toured, recorded, etc. A couple of them play in situations where they are the bass player on LH bass. I'm always incredibly impressed by that â a thing of beauty of which I am in awe.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I always look forward to meeting fellow musicians.

I'm in a pretty small town Elmira-Corning-Ithaca NY and I can count on two hands the number of keyboardists around here. Met half of them. A few of them are on KC, one day I will meet Sam from Ithaca. I know another local player who browses KC but isn't a member. I used to live in Binghamton and that town has really dried up, only a few keyboard players still around there.

I'm 90 miles from Rochester and got to meet Tuck and Outkaster, we're all Hammond players. Much better music scene up there. Met WesG through Jason when I needed a Hammond tech. Jason's job brings him in my area on occasion and we meet for lunch.

Out of curiosity I looked up local musicians through bandmix.com and found way more guitar players and hardly any keyboard players. Almost all the musicians on bandmix were into guitar dominant genres that had worn me out and I didn't want to play (southern rock, metal, modern rock, etc) so I didn't bother to sign up. Sad. I was in a local band and they lamented about how hard it was to find a keyboard player.

The networking around here is pretty much word of mouth. When I moved to a new job 13 years ago I found musician friends I knew from my old stomping grounds. I landed my current band through a mutual keyboard player who knew me from long ago.

There are many more I met through NAMM, synth gatherings, etc not local

I know just three in my area. One who has come to hear my band and is a KC member (Keymoe), and another who subbed for me once when I was giving birth to a kidney stone a couple years ago. Then there's Jim (I forget his username here). He's a cool dude who plays in the P!nk tribute here

The next closest is Joe (Forum breaker) Muscara ;) about 3 hours south.

Despite our constantly failed attempts for impromptu north Texas hangs, there's you, Dan :)

Back to local: Outside of the three I mentioned above, I have personally found most keys players around here to be very insular...not very social. I've made attempts.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Lancaster County.

90097-004-F5155BF8.jpg

OK I was just wondering as I am going to DC for my daughter or to see Tom Petro for Hammond stuff in NJ.

noblevibes.com

Yes I know many, just through being part of the whole local cover band scene for many years, and especially in the social media age it has become much more easy/common to know who a lot of people are and what they're doing. I have a circle of keyboard player friends where we sub for each other or recommend each other for dates or bands or come out and see/support each other (or compete with each other for spots sometimes). People who've replaced me or I've replaced them in bands (sometimes back and forth!), people who play in other bands with friends or bandmates of mine who I go to see, etc. Back in the old, old, pre-internet days, I didn't really know who the other keyboard players around were or even much about bands other than the ones I was in, except maybe the few biggest most successful ones.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Tight little community here, so it's always a surprise when I come across a name I don't know on keys. I am always fishing for names of potential new subs. There are a few of us who are sort of "hot-swappable" depending on the gig, so even if we don't know each other directly, we usually play with people who know each of us and can cross-pollinate when needed.

As for forumites, here in town we have Bobedohshe, U. Honey, MotiDave, and IMRT. Maybe one or two more who I know in person but not by name here. Of the above, I know the first three in person, in descending order of closeness/intersection. I only know IMRT by virtue of mutual sidemen. I probably know another 5 or 6 in town, maybe a couple more.

I have said it before, but one of the amazing things to me about the scene here is how tight it is--meaning, my friends all tend to be people I know through music (plus school parents, or in the case of U. Honey, both). I didn't have that back east, where "music" was just sort of another job and if you didn't play softball together or go to school together, you didn't see each other until the next gig.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I think my knowledge of keyboard players in my region doubled when I joined this forum! Well, that's a slight exaggeration. But one of the things that's kept me so busy since I started gigging out in Ithaca is that while there are (as someone else observed above) a lot of piano players and jazz guys, and a fair amount of strictly synth-based electronic/experimental music, my stylistic and sonic palette that includes Hammond and electromechanical keyboard instruments has made me stand out. There aren't a lot of other guys in my area covering all those bases, and the ones who are tend to be operating at a higher level than I am (full time touring/gigging artists for the most part, who have been in the scene a lot longer than me).

But it does mean that sometimes it's hard to find a sub, or someone to talk shop with. I've made a few more connections in the local scene in the past few years, but one of the reasons I've gravitated to this forum is that I can fully nerd out with other dudes who do the kind of playing that I do (and variations on the theme).

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I know most. I think most know me. Social media and playing a lot is game changer. I took Dad to a Dr. appointment and when I checked him in the lady I have never seen before said ..... "I know you. You play piano. ". People recognize me at K-Mart and Target and shit. I don't really like it that much and I am far from famous.

But yes most the players around here seem to know who each other is.

I have like 4 friends in this world and I'm married to one. But Facebook says I have thousands. ð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I guess I know 4-5 personally and could name a few more. But by contrast, I probably know dozens of guitar players and drummers.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.