Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name this chord: week 137

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all. I should have provided some context. In the previous bar there's a Gsus2 moving to a G, and following this chord is a straight Em7. (Then an A7sus which is the V chord). So I think torhu's suggestion best captures what's going on: a pair of chords, repeated, but with a different bass note each time (G then E).

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks all. I should have provided some context. In the previous bar there's a Gsus2 moving to a G, and following this chord is a straight Em7. (Then an A7sus which is the V chord). So I think torhu's suggestion best captures what's going on: a pair of chords, repeated, but with a different bass note each time (G then E).

Cheers, Mike.

Given the notes you provided, and that the G chord is the previous context, then Gsus2_4/E is probably the easiest to read. YMMV

What you've described sounds like Gsus2 to G, then E-sus4 to E-, which I assume is the same right hand notes over two bass notes. Is the right hand G/A/D to G/B/D over both the G and the E?

If the intention is to sound like the same pattern over alternate bass notes, then perhaps it should be notated as Gsus2 to G, then Gsus2/E to G/E, but I prefer the other way.

That said, I'm not sure why I waded into this post anyway. I'm so often unsuccessful with these "notation" questions because my work is almost entirely "ear" based. I listen for the writer's intent and play accordingly regardless of what is written on the page. :laugh:

What you've described sounds like Gsus2 to G, then E-sus4 to E-, which I assume is the same right hand notes over two bass notes. Is the right hand G/A/D to G/B/D over both the G and the E?
Yes. Em7sus4 suggests a B, which I want to avoid.

That said, I'm not sure why I waded into this post anyway
I am hono(u)red by your wading Steve - you are always welcome to wade into any of my posts! I've always enjoyed your contributions to the forum.

Cheers, Mike.