Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bluetooth MIDI and Bluetooth Audio with iPad at same time

Is it possible to use Bluetooth MIDI on a DP for controlling an iPad piano and at the same time use Bluetooth Audio to play the iPad"s sound through the DP"s speakers?

To put it more clearly, if one has a keyboard that"s Bluetooth MIDI and Bluetooth Audio capable like Roland"s FP-10/30, is it possible to use both at the same time to play the iPad app (Ravenscroft) on the Roland"s keys AND have the audio output of the iPad play through the Roland"s speakers, both without any physical connection?

Thus, are Bluetooth MIDI and Bluetooth Audio capable of functioning both ways at the same time?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's theoretically possible but basically unworkable in practical terms, for reasons having nothing to do with having dual BT data streams happening at once (yes, you can do this)...

Bluetooth MIDI latency is very low, under 20 ms in nearly every case and often under 10 ms, so one can do real controller stuff wirelessly and not feel the lag.

Bluetooth audio latency is execrable, never under 100 ms and often as much as a half second or more. You can NOT do realtime playing with Bluetooth audio output, and this is likely to remain the case for quite some time into the future.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

The latency without a doubt would be abhorrent.

I found this out the hard way. I do a weekly gig with a small PA that does the job very well. When a drummer shows up, I wish I had a monitor, but I was reluctant to drag one to the gig. I bought a bluetooth transmiiter that plugged into my mixer monitor send, then wore some BT phones. Probably close to half a second latency.

All is not lost, I resurrected my turntable and transmit from my old stereo amp/ receiver to my studio.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules