Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

Boss hasn't offered anything recently that caught my interest until this -

[video:youtube]

It seems to address both the Synth9 and the SuperEgo: Polyphonic, with a S/R loop for adding other FX into the mix, at right around $200US. I have to say, Roland is known for their Synths, and they're the one company that has stuck with Guitar Synth tech long enough to have become an industry standard, to the degree that there is one. That's a lot of history, and institutional knowledge, to draw on. The Sequencer function alone is very cool.

I'll have to reserve judgement until I can try one, but for anyone here in the Forum who's been curious about Guitar Synth, this looks like a real winner, for price point and function.

For some reason the video link doesn't show up for me, but I've seen the product announcement. Downside, as I see it, is a limited collection of presets. I never use factory presets. It's just part of my obsessive/compulsive nature that any sound I use for anything has to be programmed by me, or at very least, extensively edited by me. If they equip the pedal with a USB port for importing our own samples, or maybe programming patches from an iPhone/iPad/laptop I'd probably get real interested, mainly due to not relying on a proprietary hex pickup & all its additional wiring.

Scott Fraser

@ Scott, for some reason the site is not accepting my post of a YouTube video like it always has. it says something about having to use Adobe Flash? Which is probably why Winston's YT clip is not coming up...it looks like the YT clips in the previous posts on this thread have been deleted as well. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@Scott - Having a legion of real hardware Synths, I'm not likely to go for this, either, but I do think it's a step up from the modelers we've seen so far. FWIW, I've been stalking a GR-50 online for $65US, really tempted to grab it.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Boss hasn't offered anything recently that caught my interest until this -

[YouTube video demo of BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer featuring Thomas McRocklin]

It seems to address both the Synth9 and the SuperEgo: Polyphonic, with a S/R loop for adding other FX into the mix, at right around $200US. I have to say, Roland is known for their Synths, and they're the one company that has stuck with Guitar Synth tech long enough to have become an industry standard, to the degree that there is one. That's a lot of history, and institutional knowledge, to draw on. The Sequencer function alone is very cool.

I'll have to reserve judgement until I can try one, but for anyone here in the Forum who's been curious about Guitar Synth, this looks like a real winner, for price point and function.

(I also do not see a displayed video, and had to "Quote" your post to get the URL address for it.)

Looks to be- sounds- rrreeeaallly cool. I think that I could enjoy that, though it wouldn't be a big priority for me to rush out to try 'n' buy. Some such sounds I can approximate with combinations of various pedals that I already have, that are not "synth" pedals. But that demo has plenty of sounds that I probably could not conjure up that way.

And damn, that guy can really play! :rawk:

And...

...a limited collection of presets. I never use factory presets. It's just part of my obsessive/compulsive nature that any sound I use for anything has to be programmed by me, or at very least, extensively edited by me.

...there's that. I'm largely with you on that, Scott; I prefer to sound 'like me', and not too much like a one-size-fits-all cookie-cutter sound. Though, again, I'm sure that I could really enjoy a lot of this pedal's sounds, and also find my own ways to make them more 'mine'.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@Scott and Caevan - I'm with you guys. I didn't teach my self Synthesis, and collect more hardware Synths than Guitars, just so I could play the Factory Presets. Still, this thing gives our fellow Guitarists access to a whole new bank of sounds, for the price of an ugly Synth Pickup. Who knows, it might even inspire some players to investigate Synthesis?

Having recently gone back to using pedals in place of my MFX, I discovered something last night, while sitting on the floor turning knobs. When I'm programming my Synths and MFX, it's all about the numbers, LFO Rates, Frequency Cut-Off's; FM Synthesis is torturous even to explain! Last night, I realized I had re-discovered the simple joy of turning a knob, and just saying, "there" to myself, no number-crunching, no sub-menus, just trusting my ears to find the sound I hear in my head.

That's what I like about the SY-1, even if I never buy one myself; somebody is going to plug it in, and start turning knobs, and just lose a whole evening, maybe a whole weekend, enjoying the sounds, without having to worry about how or why it does that. That's a good start.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

@Scott and Caevan - I'm with you guys. I didn't teach my self Synthesis, and collect more hardware Synths than Guitars, just so I could play the Factory Presets. Still, this thing gives our fellow Guitarists access to a whole new bank of sounds, for the price of an ugly Synth Pickup. Who knows, it might even inspire some players to investigate Synthesis?

Having recently gone back to using pedals in place of my MFX, I discovered something last night, while sitting on the floor turning knobs. When I'm programming my Synths and MFX, it's all about the numbers, LFO Rates, Frequency Cut-Off's; FM Synthesis is torturous even to explain! Last night, I realized I had re-discovered the simple joy of turning a knob, and just saying, "there" to myself, no number-crunching, no sub-menus, just trusting my ears to find the sound I hear in my head.

That's what I like about the SY-1, even if I never buy one myself; somebody is going to plug it in, and start turning knobs, and just lose a whole evening, maybe a whole weekend, enjoying the sounds, without having to worry about how or why it does that. That's a good start.

Much and strongly agreed.

Here's a Boss Compressor CP 1x pedal that caught my eye a month ago for $149 bucks. I really like it and it's a great clean volume boost pedal for lead work...I use the settings at 2:29:

:cool:

ps. It works great on acoustic/electric guitars too!

Take care, Larryz

Here's a Boss Compressor CP 1x pedal that caught my eye a month ago for $149 bucks. I really like it and it's a great clean volume boost pedal for lead work...

:cool:

ps. It works great on acoustic/electric guitars too!

You might find this Dynacomp/Ross-style compressor/EQ to be interesting, as well- might make a pretty cool 'Lead-Boost', among other things:

> J. Rockett Pedals I.Q. COMPRESSOR

The I.Q. Compressor is an EQ/Compressor with a pre-compression EQ. The EQ let"s you choose which frequencies you want compressed harder based on their respective gain setting. Each frequency slider has 18db of gain or cut. The compressor has a volume and mix control. The volume adjusts the output level and the mix control blends the compressed and dry signal.

Very cool pedals...I really liked the dobro sound in the demos using the slide. Back in my rock days I would combine the comp with an OD or Dist and really make them come alive and I would have liked to have these pedals. Most demos on clean boost pedals do the same combos and craft their rock and blues sounds...these days I keep it on clean so I'm not as interested in the combo and just want a clean boost demo (which makes it hard to find as everyone wants to demo the combo LOL!). What I'm getting at is that I like the separate demos like the ones above so you can get to know each pedal and then watch and listen to a combo demo. Anyway both of these guys are super talented and do a great job both playing and explaining! I'm very happy with the Boss pedal as a stand alone boost for some very clean natural sound. I just add a little reverb via the amp and I'm set up and ready to go! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Very cool pedals...I really liked the dobro sound in the demos using the slide. Back in my rock days I would combine the comp with an OD or Dist and really make them come alive and I would have liked to have these pedals. Most demos on clean boost pedals do the same combos and craft their rock and blues sounds...these days I keep it on clean so I'm not as interested in the combo and just want a clean boost demo (which makes it hard to find as everyone wants to demo the combo LOL!). What I'm getting at is that I like the separate demos like the ones above so you can get to know each pedal and then watch and listen to a combo demo. Anyway both of these guys are super talented and do a great job both playing and explaining! I'm very happy with the Boss pedal as a stand alone boost for some very clean natural sound. I just add a little reverb via the amp and I'm set up and ready to go! :cool:

Yeah, I dig that faux "Dobro"-trick setting, myself.

I have some great compressor pedals- a couple of Ross-style HBE CPR's- fantastic with a Tele or Strat!- and a VFE White Horse optical-circuit type compressor, that's beautiful with humbuckers.

For a 'clean-boost', I rrreeeaallly love my Fulltone 2B- but, this Rocket I.Q.Compressor is something different...

I like the idea of combining a Compressor and an EQ...it looks like the IQ runs about $229 new. You can get all sorts of cool vibe out of the IQ and can get by without the overdrive till you save up a few more bucks as the IQ does a pretty good job on the OD too. The Rocket pedals appear to be well made and sound great in the videos... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I've known a lot of players who combine a Comp with an OD, to add boost & sustain while dialing back a bit on the Drive. I've also seen players using EQ pedals for boost, leaving the EQ sliders nearly flat, but punching up the Output on the pedal.

Which brings up a point . . . 18db's of Boost/Cut seems extreme? IME, +/- 3 to 5db's, maybe 7, should be more than enough to contour your signal, unless you're using a Parametric EQ as a Notch Filter. Would love to have Scott Fraser or someone else with more detailed knowledge & experience chime in here.

Which brings up a point . . . 18db's of Boost/Cut seems extreme? IME, +/- 3 to 5db's, maybe 7, should be more than enough to contour your signal, unless you're using a Parametric EQ as a Notch Filter. Would love to have Scott Fraser or someone else with more detailed knowledge & experience chime in here.

I'm frequently dealing with EQ boosts or cuts of as little as ½ dB. To my ear 5 or 6 dB of boost is massive, but it's a very different thing on an electric guitar than with an acoustic source or a mixed session of audio. With an acoustic instrument there is an actual true sound that the instrument puts out, & any deviation from that is a form of distortion, i.e. a different version which diverges from the actual reality. Now the truth is, no microphone can ever capture the absolute truth about any acoustic instrument, but within reasonable bounds, you either got it, or you've done some modification to it. Often, a recording requires that modification, but nevertheless, the point I'm leading up to is that with an electric guitar, just about any variation you come up with using an EQ is a legitimate version of that instrument. Bassier, middlier, treblier; it's all good in the right circumstances. Just check the faux dobro setting in the above video. So big EQ swings are much more acceptable on electric guitar than elsewhere in audio practice. However, you need to realize that +18 dB of boost in an EQ pedal running on a 9v supply is going to use up not only the headroom of the EQ pedal electronics pretty quickly, but also give you 18dB less headroom further along in your signal chain. With studio hardware we generally have circuits running + and - 15 to 18 volt bipolar power supplies, so the headroom is much greater. Still, with boosts of as little as 4 to 6dB in some of my Neve-designed EQs I've seen signal clipping later in the chain. Boost with caution. In studio work I'd say cutting frequencies to get the desired result is as common as boosting to get there.

Also, studio EQ is being heard on full range speakers, whereas guitar EQ is heard through an amp/speaker combination, which is in fact a fairly severe form of EQ in itself.

And learn what effect various frequencies have. A ½ dB boost in the range of 150 to 250Hz can add a little beef, but much more than that can bury you in mud. A ½ dB boost around 2k to 3k can add sparkle or chime, but more than that can tear peoples' heads off & tire the ear out very quickly.

Ultimately, though, much as I like to have complete control over all parts of the audio spectrum (we use 30 band graphic EQ for tuning PA systems) I generally find that the amp tone controls, particularly as implemented on Marshalls - bass, mid, treble, presence - give me all the electric guitar tone shaping I find I really need to get what I want out of all my guitars, whether humbucking, single coil, solid body or archtops.

Scott Fraser

Bear in mind that with the Rocket IQ Compressor, beside having an EQ for general tonal shaping, much of the reason for the pre-compressor EQ is to allow some frequencies to either hit the compressor harder, and thus be more compressed, or more lightly, to be more softly compressed...

I'm looking to replace my cs3, it has a hiss in it. Probably no-one can hear it but me, but it annoys me. I really like my JHS Tremolo, so I'm thinking their Orange Peal. The have the newest version for about $150. used. I think they're $229. new. The cs3 was a pawn shop purchase, so not much tied up in it.
Jenny S.

I'm looking to replace my cs3, it has a hiss in it. Probably no-one can hear it but me, but it annoys me. I really like my JHS Tremolo, so I'm thinking their Orange Peal. The have the newest version for about $150. used. I think they're $229. new. The cs3 was a pawn shop purchase, so not much tied up in it.

surfergirl, try your CS3 with a different Guitar (one with HB'S) or a different pickup setting, just to be sure the hiss is in the pedal. Also, make sure your CS3 is the first thing in your signal chain, except maybe your Micro Amp. Compressors tend to boost anything they perceive as a low-level signal, which can include noise. IIRC, you're playing a Strat, with SC's? Try one of the middle switch settings, see if the hiss lessens or drops out altogether. You might also try turning the Micro Amp on and off.

One other possibility is if you're daisy-chaining your pedals off of one Power Supply, like a 1 Spot. Try isolating the CS3 by running by itself (nothing else connected to the 1 Spot) or even run it off of a battery, with your other pedals on the daisy-chain, and listen for any difference. If the pedal is just boosting noise from the Guitar pickups or the daisy-chain, you can feel good about selling or trading it in, and get some value out of it.

FWIW, whenever I'm auditioning a new Multi-FX, and I hit a factory patch that's noisy, the first thing I do is to turn off the Compressor in the Signal Chain, and more often than not, that takes the noise level way down.

Compression, by its very nature, makes noise worse. The more you crank compression, the noisier it gets.

Scott Fraser

I'll give those suggestion a try. To be honest I think I just want a new compressor pedal

Nothing wrong with wanting an upgrade. The JHS Pulp N Peel has a Blend control, for mixing your un-compressed signal with the compressed signal. Very useful feature, and one that Scott recommended to me, when I was looking for a new Compressor recently. FWIW, I'm looking at the Keeley Compressor. New, it's $100 less than the JHS, and it has a switch for HB's and SC's: you can also order it from Sweetwater in a fun blue pattern, instead of the industrial-looking model. I have a couple of Keeley pedals, the V1 Seafoam Chorus (x2) and the Bubbletron, and I'm very impressed with both.

Compression, by its very nature, makes noise worse. The more you crank compression, the noisier it gets.

I'll give those suggestion a try. To be honest I think I just want a new compressor pedal

Nothing wrong with wanting an upgrade. The JHS Pulp N Peel has a Blend control, for mixing your un-compressed signal with the compressed signal. Very useful feature, and one that Scott recommended to me, when I was looking for a new Compressor recently. FWIW, I'm looking at the Keeley Compressor. New, it's $100 less than the JHS, and it has a switch for HB's and SC's: you can also order it from Sweetwater in a fun blue pattern, instead of the industrial-looking model. I have a couple of Keeley pedals, the V1 Seafoam Chorus (x2) and the Bubbletron, and I'm very impressed with both.

I'm going to GC Saturday and will try both the JHS and the Keeley. I'll try to replicate my rig as best I can.

Thanks for the info Scott.

Jenny S.

...a Blend control, for mixing your un-compressed signal with the compressed signal. Very useful feature...

I like that a lot in a compressor, myself! Nice for retaining just the right amount of attack on the front of notes. :rawk::cool:

...I'm looking at the Keeley Compressor. New, it's $100 less than the JHS, and it has a switch for HB's and SC's: you can also order it from Sweetwater in a fun blue pattern, instead of the industrial-looking model.

I think I'd find that pickup-type switch to be very interesting...

lightbulb.gif NOW- I'll add that the Homebrew Electronics ComPressor Retro, also known as the HBE CPR, can be found FOR CHEAP (often less than a hundred dollars), ~AND~ is MAGIC with single-coils, ~AND~ is exceptionally low-noise as compressors go. It's based on the original '70s Ross compressor pedals, but is upgraded in quality, HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended for Tele and Strat players!

@ Surfer Girl, +1 Keeley makes great pedals, they can be a little pricey. I have the Memphis Sun pedal by Keeley and I really like it. Don't forget to check out the Boss CP 1X Compressor while you're at the GC Saturday. I've had the MXR Comp and the MXR Dyna Comp and the Boss pedal beats them both hands down...Very impressive at the price offered. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Several of my local EM friends have this pedal, and recommend it, with great enthusiasm. Much as I love the idea, the prices are impressive, too. I got the used Charlie Foxtrot for less than half what this thing costs, but if you have the $$$, well, give a listen. I always enjoy Knobs' demo videos . . .

Chase Bliss pedals are usually a helluva lot of fun.

And Knobs" vids are simply art.

Some of Knobs' demos are better than the pedals themselves merit. However, that doesn't seem to be the case with this one. I could see plugging the Mood into Hologram's Infinite Jets, and never leaving my Music room again.

I have a milestone b'day coming up in January. Maybe I should treat myself? More than enough time to save up for both . . .

• Like 1

So I finally had some time with the Attack Delay from EHX tonight, and read the manual this time. As I only bought it for the swell effect, I didn't spend any time with the other modes, as I can get around to that much later. I have some specific parts on songs that I wrote, where I needed this effect, and as I'm way more of a bassist than a guitarist, I figured this pedal would get me there faster than working more on my raw technique. :-) And it did. :-)

I focused this time on replicating Steve Howe's intro to "Roundabout", and was quite impressed how convincing this pedal is, given that it's digital. But for this sort of swell effect, any AD/DA latency is easily compensated for while playing. And as the most standard playing style for swell tends to be low in harmonic richness and quite focused, that aspect of digital vs. analog doesn't seem critical here either.

This is a keeper for now, unless I find a used Bumble Bee (they're discontinued). But I think the sound quality and ease of use is good enough on this one from EHX. It's the other stuff that's so darned complicated, and I like single-purposed pedals that one can dial in and leave for certain sounds (as a general rule; obviously any pedal needs some amount of tweaking now and then), and combining too many functions means I could get too far from good starting points when going between different purposes. So I may try to find a Bumble Bee -- although I think that pedal might be a bit better-suited for Jeff Beck style than Steve Howe.

I did have to switch to Poly Mode in order to play harmonics on open strings, as otherwise they get muted (as one would expect), so even if I want muting within a given phrase, I'll do that manually and stay in Poly Mode so I can play with harmonics as well as fretted notes.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So I finally had some time with the Attack Delay from EHX tonight, and read the manual this time. As I only bought it for the swell effect, I didn't spend any time with the other modes, as I can get around to that much later. I have some specific parts on songs that I wrote, where I needed this effect, and as I'm way more of a bassist than a guitarist, I figured this pedal would get me there faster than working more on my raw technique. :-) And it did. :-)

I focused this time on replicating Steve Howe's intro to "Roundabout", and was quite impressed how convincing this pedal is, given that it's digital. But for this sort of swell effect, any AD/DA latency is easily compensated for while playing. And as the most standard playing style for swell tends to be low in harmonic richness and quite focused, that aspect of digital vs. analog doesn't seem critical here either.

This is a keeper for now, unless I find a used Bumble Bee (they're discontinued). But I think the sound quality and ease of use is good enough on this one from EHX. It's the other stuff that's so darned complicated, and I like single-purposed pedals that one can dial in and leave for certain sounds (as a general rule; obviously any pedal needs some amount of tweaking now and then), and combining too many functions means I could get too far from good starting points when going between different purposes. So I may try to find a Bumble Bee -- although I think that pedal might be a bit better-suited for Jeff Beck style than Steve Howe.

I did have to switch to Poly Mode in order to play harmonics on open strings, as otherwise they get muted (as one would expect), so even if I want muting within a given phrase, I'll do that manually and stay in Poly Mode so I can play with harmonics as well as fretted notes.

I'm glad that you were able to get a better grip on that Attack Decay pedal!

I'll have to get to test-drive one of those sometime, myself.

I didn't realize that this new one was "all digital"! I guess that I should have, as that was one of the first things that you said about it in your earlier, original post here about getting one... D'oh! :crazy:

=IF= "all digital" means all-digital envelope control over an analog through-signal, then I just might really like it. If "all digital" really means "ALL digital", though, I'll likely pass.

Some of Knobs' demos are better than the pedals themselves merit. However, that doesn't seem to be the case with this one. I could see plugging the Mood into Hologram's Infinite Jets, and never leaving my Music room again.

If you do that, set up a live YouTube feed, so we can join you in sonic nirvana.

I have a milestone b'day coming up in January. Maybe I should treat myself? More than enough time to save up for both . .

Whenever I"m in that kind of position, I take the time to review my (ridiculously long) G.A.S. list to make sure I don"t accidentally prioritize a shiny new thing over something I"ve been wanting for a while. Deliberately prioritizing a shiny new thing over something I"ve been wanting for a while is perfectly acceptable.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/