Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heart Rig Rundown

I can't hold back any longer...

mynameisdanno

1b9nBM.jpg

Bert the geologist

the-big-bang-theory-dependence-7.jpg

I used to just get Brian Posehn comments from stoners working the late night drive through windows, but after they cast him on that show, I get them all the time.

I don't really see it personally...

http://slorg.org/kc/PosehnWalker.jpeg

Late to this thread, so GREAT!! Thank you Dan for the peek behind the curtain. So many things going on, had to break out a spreadsheet to keep track of everything :-)

both Ann & Nancy have encouraged us all to find ways to steer the 80's material away from the 80's, both sonically and parts-wise
That's awesome

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 2 weeks later...

I got to see Dan in action with this rig Thursday night. He is killing it. If you go, enjoy his Moog solo in Magic Man. You will feel it. :D I tried capturing it on my iPhone, but it couldn't handle it. :roll:

I also got to catch up with Dan, we had much fun!

165.thumb.jpg.060eac100ea03fab033fafa66175933f.jpg

166.thumb.jpg.ab27c9b1b0c283fc25b81a29838cb13e.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not to belabor anything but to make a quick point: I've happily used a reliable laptop rig for many years but have zero axes to grind with anyone that prefers hardware. I wonder why the opposite doesn't seem to be true. PS - great rig Dan! Having a powerful rig like that, set up and waiting for you on stage at every show... that would be a dream for me. Enjoy the tour!

Dan - a question I meant to ask previously. How much of the gig could you do with just the Nord+controller part? It strikes me that Nord has a reasonable clonewheel, VA synth and Mellotron samples - which is kind of the rest of your rig. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers, Mike.

Dan - a question I meant to ask previously. How much of the gig could you do with just the Nord+controller part? It strikes me that Nord has a reasonable clonewheel, VA synth and Mellotron samples - which is kind of the rest of your rig. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers, Mike.

When we went into rehearsals, and even in the first couple weeks on the road, there were a couple of things in the setlist that I would have been pressed to execute how I wanted without the OB6 or the Mellotron. But the way the set has settled out, I could do most of it with no problem with the Nord Stage 2, CP300, and Minimoog (it would just bum me out way too much to play Magic Man on a Nord, regardless of how close I might be able to get the patch). It's for that reason that I don't feel the need to tour with spares for the Mellotron or the OB6. A few details would be missing, and a few moments would be sonically inferior or not as expressively performed, but with a half hour or so of reprogramming on the Nord, the show would go on just fine without most of the audience noticing or caring, until a replacement could be brought in.

Having said that, the setlist might change at any time, and at short notice. For that reason, I still love having the flexibility of having all those tools there.

I spent quite a bit of time examining my conscience on this matter, since the extra boards directly translate to extra labor in the midday heat over the course of the summer for Lindz and the local hands. Those guys put in more work in a day than I will all summer, and I try to always remain aware of that fact. Are the sonic and musical (and yes, visual) improvements from this big five-keyboard rig really helping the show? Or is it mere self indulgence?

I came to the conclusion that it's a little bit of both, and also came to the conclusion that with a band at this level... that's okay. :cool:

As a member of the audience and a keyboard player (though nowhere near Dan's level of playing nor sound design), I can say it is worth the effort Dan and the techs put in. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow Dan! Loved the video and thanks for the amount of detail you went into in explaining everything. I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of it, so I will have to watch it again!

I'm right with you when it comes to using hardware vs. software for your rig. It definitely is more fun to use actual instruments controlling internal sounds than controller keyboards connected to an A/D and computer. I don't have much knowledge of the latter and am trying to catch up as I write this. But I do think that software definitely has advantages in a studio environment where fine details can be heard in the mix. But playing with hardware onstage is definitely more organic and how I've always done it also.

And your playing with HEART???? That really must be an exciting gig. I absolutely love them and have been listening to them ever since I was old enough to go to a record store on my own! I needed to always re-buy the albums then since I wore them out. Two of my prized HEART items are an original 45 on Mushroom records of Magic Man and also the original MAGAZINE album on the Mushroom label. This had the original vocals and mixes done by the band before they revised it. This was subsequently put out Arista Records! I also recently bought an 8-track of that same album issued from the Mushroom label. I found them both on Ebay!

I have to tell you that I absolutely love your ideas and the way you've put together your rig. To be honest, I technically don't understand the effects and the way everything is routed in your rack.... but that's my inexperience since I just used to run things direct into a mixer for simplicity. And not using the Moog for Magic Man would be sacrilegious, and it looks really great on stage! So is having the accordion, which I'd love to learn how to play.

Here's something that will give you and hopefully our other keyboard forum members a laugh: Years ago, when I first starting playing with a band, I was attempting to do a cover of What About Love based on their studio original arrangement. I used what I had, which was very expensive for me at the time. This was an Roland MKS-20 piano module and an Emax II sampler. I have to say that it didn't sound bad and came pretty close to the sounds. That Roland was used by everyone at that time. But regarding the Emax II, it seems outrageous now that anyone would use that unit live as their only sound source besides the MKS-20. Since the Emax II used a floppy disk to reload sounds before use and being a sampler module, had no internal memory. I used it with a controller and didn't realize that if it went down, it could have caused a major problem, not that it ever did. I used to have to load different floppies during the set but remember that I used the factory disk most of all, since this had multiple patches on it. As a matter of fact, I remember replacing it with a D-50 after a couple of years for convenience and safety! This was in the 1980's when I was in my 20's and keyboard equipment was very expensive. It still is today I guess, but one keyboard does a lot more! I did have another keyboard but used it mostly for left hand bass ~ the DX7II FD!

Anyway, I hope to catch you and HEART very soon if your in my area and wish you continued success with the tour! And thank you again Dan for posting the video. I always wanted Keyboard Magazine to show a rundown spotlighting Hearts keyboards an it's keyboardist. I can't wait to see the spaceship land in my area!

~ Anthony

Got to see Dan in action this weekend in Albuquerque. The rig sounded great, it was nice to hear the Hammond (Electro/lesiie) sounds enter the mix! I took a couple videos, but honestly I dont want to share them as they were nice surprises in the show, and I dont want to take that element away from anyone coming to see Heart. Dan is doing us all proud hitting those marks you want to hear in the music, but his accordion playing was one of my favorite parts of the show! And btw, the rest of the band sounds killer, the staging looks great, and Joan Jett (and Elle King) make it a really great package! GO SEE IT! Thanks Dan for a great evening!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.