Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hendrix - Sha na na - Aerosmith???

Here's an interesting story about Woodstock. Jimi Hendrix referred the promoters to give Sha Na Na a slot, which turned out to be right before Jimi played.

Sha Na Na at Woodstock

On a personal note, in 1973, I saw Sha Na Na at Suffolk Downs raceway near Boston. Opening act for Sha Na Na was this new band from Boston,

wait for it .... Aerosmith. They killed it and the crowd during Sha Na Na started throwing beer cans at stage and up in the air and the concert would end early.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here'Woodstock[/url]

On a personal note, in 1973, I saw Sha Na Na at Suffolk Downs raceway near Boston. Opening act for Sha Na Na was this new band from Boston,

wait for it .... Aerosmith. They killed it and the crowd during Sha Na Na started throwing beer cans at stage and up in the air and the concert would end early.

That was clever booking.

If I did the booking, It would be Barry White and Barry Manilow

Would have saved lots of ad space by stating " See Barry Tonight ! "

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Sha Na Na gets a lot of shit but they are/were really some talented guys. John Bauman (Bowzer) is a classically trained pianist at Julliard. He went to school with my family lawyer. Santini is an orthopedic surgeon. Donny died recently and he was a law professor. A few others passed on but those guys could really sing. I think Jocko and Screamng Scott are the only original members of the touring group that have gone on with replacement members. Johnny still sings with Bowzer sometimes.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I dated Henry Gross's (guitar/vocals) sister for a short while...my 1st official older woman... Henry had the hit 'Shannon' for the older folks who remember in the 70's, Henry did 2 tours I believe opening for Fleetwood Mac .... the song 'Shannon' was actually about Brian Wilson's dog who passed!

Henry loved Brian.... Good Brooklyn folks.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Sha Na Na gets a lot of shit but they are/were really some talented guys. John Bauman (Bowzer) is a classically trained pianist at Julliard. He went to school with my family lawyer. Santini is an orthopedic surgeon. Donny died recently and he was a law professor. A few others passed on but those guys could really sing. I think Jocko and Screamng Scott are the only original members of the touring group that have gone on with replacement members. Johnny still sings with Bowzer sometimes.

:like:

They were a lot of fun. Not trying to be anything than what they were. They found a niche and a formula that worked and made people happy.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

:like:

They were a lot of fun. Not trying to be anything than what they were. They found a niche and a formula that worked and made people happy.

Yes, they were ... a lot of older 50's R & R folks were in the newer 60's R & R crowd and they were accepted ... they were the great novelty act of that era and a nice change of pace for those heady musical times!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I dated Henry Gross's (guitar/vocals) sister for a short while...my 1st official older woman... Henry had the hit 'Shannon' for the older folks who remember in the 70's, Henry did 2 tours I believe opening for Fleetwood Mac .... the song 'Shannon' was actually about Brian Wilson's dog who passed!

Henry loved Brian.... Good Brooklyn folks.

He had quit years and didn't tour or was on the tv show earlier but they all did a reunion at Columbia University a few years back.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

When you go to Sha Na Na's current website, look at the history/biography.

It reads like a Who's Who of the medical, legal, and academia professions. As Outkaster said, you have Orthopedic surgeon (Santini), Lawyer, Columbia movie exec, and college professor (Denny Green..., Yale, Harvard, etc..) an couple more Doctors, a few more college profs....

One thing they had in common is they could all sing very well.....

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage