TOWN HALL: Forum Offerings - opinions needed #3001741 08/04/19 02:49 PM
Dave Bryce Offline OP
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
OP Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
So, we've been doing some housecleaning. puff

A few of the dead forums are gone, and the archives have been cleaned up. For those of you who may not visit the forum summary page a lot, please do take a look.

As we know, MPN founder Craig Anderton and original MPN alumni dr walker and Gus Lozada have all lit their forums back up. We love this, of course. Some of the well-established forumites have taken over existing forums (like Composition and Songwriting ). Others have started new ones (like the Photography forum ). We love this as well...

We're honored to be joined by several new members taking over existing forums (my good friend Brian McConnon resurrecting Drum Talk ) or starting new ones like Matt McGlynn's RecordingHacks (intentionally one word! grin ) mic forum, Steph Marsh and Justin Perkins doing their Mastering/Vinyl Cutting and More forum, Mike Molenda's Guardians of Guitar forum...and this just in: Mike Metlay (ex-Recording mag) just agreed to co-mod the Virtual Music - Online Collaboration forum. How ridiculously cool to have all these fine folk join our community!!! cool

So, what else do we need, forum-wise? idk

I'd kinda like to see a forum for live performance, a forum for general recording, and one for a podcasting. I believe it would be a good idea to have a video production forum right next to the photography forum as well - a lot of the musicians I know are into the video thing. I'm also playing with the idea of having a New Products forum, which would be a dedicated place for manufacturers to submit post about new product releases (that forum would have to be curated) and maybe another one for MI/Pro Audio industry news so that there aren't three different threads in three different forums about Etsy buying Reverb.com, etc.

We’re not in any hurry though...and I do think we should be wary of having too many forums. Sites can lose focus if they get too fragmented. In other words, the Keyboard Corner's sports threads will stay in KC. They’re a part of our community. smile

PLEASE NOTE: this thread is not locked. We do want to know what you guys think! If you've got some time, please take a minute (or more!) to browse the forum summary and let us hear your suggestions.

Thanks so much for all your support! wave

dB

Re: TOWN HALL: Forum Offerings - opinions needed [Re: Dave Bryce] #3001828 08/05/19 11:33 AM
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
I think the title of our forum which is known as "RecordingHacks" does not encourage as much traffic as we could get.
I participated in the "Studiotrax" forum for several years, until it closed down about 2-3 years ago, so I have seen the incredible expertise such a forum can attract.
After looking at our "RecordingHacks" forum I *think* its intent is to cover all topics on audio recording: capturing, mixing and mastering.
But its short description does not make this clear.

The short description for this forum is:
"Microphones: RecordingHacks"

The longer description for this forum is:
"The official discussion forum for recordinghacks.com, an online magazine about recording gear and techniques...and home to the world's best microphone database and search engine!"

The short description starts with "Microphones:" which might lose some people not interested in this specific topic.
The word "RecordingHacks" is a cool term, but by itself does not convey that this a place to discuss all aspects of audio recording, capturing, mixing, and mastering.

A different short description might convey an intent to cover all aspects of audio recording, capturing, mixing, and mastering (if this is what we want this forum to be about), and thus encourage wider participation.
Here is my suggestion:
"RecordingHacks, Audio Capture, Mixing, and Mastering"

Re: TOWN HALL: Forum Offerings - opinions needed [Re: Dave Bryce] #3001834 08/05/19 01:02 PM
Dave Bryce Offline OP
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
OP Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
The forum is called RecordingHacks because that’s the name of Matt’s site (www.recordinghacks.com). Same deal with Mike Molenda’s Guardians of Guitar - both of their new forums are meant to let their online communities have a place to chat, which neither one had until we did this.

The idea is to try and make an actual Music Player Network by connecting some of these online communities.

A different short description might convey an intent to cover all aspects of audio recording, capturing, mixing, and mastering (if this is what we want this forum to be about), and thus encourage wider participation.
Here is my suggestion:
"RecordingHacks, Audio Capture, Mixing, and Mastering"

But that’s not what that forum is about. idk

Here’s the forum description, from the forum summary page:
Microphones: RecordingHacks
The official discussion forum for recordinghacks.com, an online magazine about recording gear and techniques...and home to the world's best microphone database and search engine

Make more sense? This one’s really more about mics than anything else.

I actually want a different forum for audio capture and mixing with a mod who’’s more into that aspect...and we have a brand new Mastering forum.

I do appreciate the input. It is valuable, and i’m not telling you you’re wrong - just letting you know what I was thinking.

dB

Re: TOWN HALL: Forum Offerings - opinions needed [Re: Dave Bryce] #3001932 08/05/19 10:26 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
I do think we should be wary of having too many forums. Sites can lose focus if they get too fragmented.

Agreed. Forum members (finger pointed at me) can lose focus also. So many forums now, so little time. wink

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: TOWN HALL: Forum Offerings - opinions needed [Re: Dave Bryce] #3002195 08/07/19 08:34 PM
B
Bradley B Offline
B
I wanted to post a question about live recording using digital mixers, perhaps getting some user experiences with some commercial gear, e.g. Behringer, Allen&Heath, Soundcraft. However, it didn't seem like it fit with the Microphones: Recordinghacks subforum, so I held off. I ended up buying one anyway but I think a Recording Gear and Equipment subforum (or the like) would have been a logical place to post it.

How about a question on drum mics and their mounting for live recording? Microphones: recordinghacks?

An alternate dark theme? Music Player Network - Clean Dark
1. Install the Stylus browser extension.
2. Click on the Stylus icon in the toolbar, select "Find styles".
Re: TOWN HALL: Forum Offerings - opinions needed [Re: Dave Bryce] #3003262 08/14/19 08:46 PM
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
With regards to live performance, while different questions could fit in other forums, I think it would be interesting to have one place for all things Live Production - lighting, video, sound reinforcement, monitoring, even stuff like staging, working with production companies, etc.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: TOWN HALL: Forum Offerings - opinions needed [Re: Dave Bryce] #3003814 08/18/19 02:06 PM
Dave Bryce Offline OP
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
OP Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
I would like to do someting more in the Live area...just not sure what, nor who who mod yet.

dB

Moderated by  Jim Quinn