Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Many Use the "Hardware Insert" Plug-Ins in Various DAWs?

I dunno, I find less and less compelling hardware that I want to put into a DAW. Reverbs have gotten to the point where the software is better than the hardware. The only piece of hardware I have that's unique is the AdrenaLinn, because the plug-in went away...but even then, I can do most of its effects with plug-ins.

And then there's my vintage Clyde McCoy wah wah pedal, whose sound I was able to nail with an ancient Sonitus plug-in from 2004.

Am I missing something? Anyone using hardware inserts and digging it? Or do DAW manufacturers just put it in because a vocal minority wants it and complains on forums?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never. The closest I get is using my UAD interface. Since I invested in UAD plugs and the hardware accelerator I see no need for much of anything else. I'm sure a $9000 hardware version is probably a bit better than the plug, but I don't own any expensive hardware effects. I'm happy with my plugs.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Or do DAW manufacturers just put it in because a vocal minority wants it and complains on forums?

That

Just like the tons and tons of guys asking for the "Digigrid" option for the StudioLive Series III (AVB) Mixers of PreSonus.

I am *sure* not even the 1% will actually end-up buying a digigrid system and the plug-ins -which as a total would end-up costing more than the mixer itself-

... but if it is possible to do it, like the "hardware insert" thing -"Pipeline" which actually works wonderfully with my preamps/reamps/compressors!-, why not to add it?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Or do DAW manufacturers just put it in because a vocal minority wants it and complains on forums?

That

Just like the tons and tons of guys asking for the "Digigrid" option for the StudioLive Series III (AVB) Mixers of PreSonus.

I am *sure* not even the 1% will actually end-up buying a digigrid system and the plug-ins -which as a total would end-up costing more than the mixer itself-

... but if it is possible to do it, like the "hardware insert" thing -"Pipeline" which actually works wonderfully with my preamps/reamps/compressors!-, why not to add it?

Speaking of which...I just cannot seem to get pipeline working properly with my Studio 192. Do you bypass the mixer when using it? How do you avoid getting feedback?

Back when I was trying to learn to use a DAW, they didn't have a "button" for hardware insert, so I did the same thing manually. At the time, plug-ins weren't as good as they are today, and I have plenty of hardware. Besides, a plug-in would be just one more GUI to befuddle me. And, most important, I use very little in the way of signal processing in my work, so I just continued to do what I'm used to and be amazed that it works.

So, IF I were using a DAW today, I'd probably make use of the hardware insert feature.

Speaking of which...I just cannot seem to get pipeline working properly with my Studio 192. Do you bypass the mixer when using it? How do you avoid getting feedback?

... OMG Craig Anderton asking me one technical question... OMG... :pop:

Have you tried bypassing the mixer? The mixer adds a tiny latency that may cause your problems.

117.thumb.png.12ba6de90ce91eb3500dbed9cda5b867.png

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

... OMG Craig Anderton asking me one technical question... OMG... :pop:

Have you tried bypassing the mixer? The mixer adds a tiny latency that may cause your problems.

It's not latency, and I've tried bypassing the mixer. The problem with bypassing the mixer is then I can't assign the headphone outs in an intelligent way...hopefully I'll figure something out.

Hey Gus, support came through...they suggested loading the factory default setup, and THEN bypassing the mixer. That worked :) The only tradeoff of bypassing the mixer is that the output can go to either set of headphones or the main, you can't send to multiple places.

So my beloved AdrenaLinn III is now a productive member of Studio One society :)