Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good piano action board for gigging?

Looking for something light-ish, great action, $600 or less but could be flexible, would like it to have great Wurli, good Rhodes, and an AP that sounds good in rock band setting (Doobies, Southern Rock, Dead, Phish, etc...)

I have a Casio cgp700 which is good enough for home but I'm not a fan of the action. And the sounds are just ok

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read reviews of Roland FP-30 and Yamaha P125 yesterday -- the consensus seems to be the actions are similar but the Roland has better keys (not as slippery) and the Yamaha's tone is brighter, and it's 5 # lighter; making the Yamaha possibly better for gigging.

I already have a FP-30 but tried the Yamaha yesterday, and I came away with thoughts the keys were "too slick" for me (could be a concern especially under lights at a hot gig) and I like the Roland's Rhodes sound better.

There are many R vs Y comparisons out there, and these are in your price range, both with weighted key actions.

The Roland's output is via headphones jack, while the Yamaha does have line out too.

Old No7

Edited to add: Here's one comparison (click for link)

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Add the Kawai ES-110 to your must tries.

And the Roland DS-88.

The sub $600 area isn"t great for sounds + action. But pretty good for light weight and maybe good enough AP or EP is possible. You can always add the ones you really want with a laptop, iPad or even iPhone or a module like a second hand Roland XV or Yamaha Motif ES or XS rack.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well your price point is way too low to begin with for what you want.

Fair enough. I mentioned "flexible" so if you have any suggestions, throw them out there. My price point was what would be ideal but I have wiggle room

look for second hand or B-Stock to get close to your budget

Casio PX-5S or 560

Yamaha CP4, CP40, P-255

Roland RD-800

Kawai ES7 8, or MP6 or 7

Which of those has the best EPs? Obviously, an opinion, but that's what I'm asking for, since no place near me actually stocks good keys

Looking for something light-ish, great action, $600 or less but could be flexible, would like it to have great Wurli, good Rhodes, and an AP that sounds good in rock band setting...I have a Casio cgp700 which is good enough for home but I'm not a fan of the action. And the sounds are just ok

Your CGP700 already has one of the better low-priced actions, so you may be disappointed in your options. Forget the aforementioned Casio PX-5S or 560, that's the same action you already don't care for. Casio has new boards with a different action, and people have different opinions about whether it is better, but I think it at least feels "close enough" that, either way, if you don't like one, you probably won't be thrilled with the other.

Boards to consider, under $700

Korg D1 - This is a low cost board but still has Korg's best action. It's a bit tubby at over 35 lbs, though. I have not heard the sounds.

Kawai ES110 - I wasn't so happy with the action, but some people like it a lot. I think the EP sounds are pretty good.

Roland FP-10 - unlike the ones above, it lacks the typical 1/4 output jacks and 5-pin MIDI jacks, which to me makes it less desirable than the others for a gigging board, though those won't be deal-breakers for everyone. FP-30 is similar, it has more sounds, but it's also heavier. Of particular interest to you might be that the 30 has 7 EP sounds rather than 2. I have not heard the EP sounds on either of these, but I have not been a big fan of Roland's SuperNatural EP sounds on other boards. Some people like them, though. I saw the DS88 mentioned, but I think it's a step down in action, and it's pricier and heavier to lug around, and it has their older (pre-Supernatural) EPs... though some people like them better than the newer ones. At least it restores the 1/4" outs and MIDI jacks.

If you can stretch upwards a bit:

Kurzweil SP6 - I haven't played this one, but I have generally found Kurz EPs above average. Action probably lags some of the others, though.

Korg SV1 - pricier, but it's been around so long that they will probably be easy to find used. Also a bit tubby to carry around. But I think it answers your later question, "which of these has the best EPs?"

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Looking for something light-ish, great action, $600 or less but could be flexible, would like it to have great Wurli, good Rhodes, and an AP that sounds good in rock band setting...I have a Casio cgp700 which is good enough for home but I'm not a fan of the action. And the sounds are just ok

Your CGP700 already has one of the better low-priced actions, so you may be disappointed in your options. Forget the aforementioned Casio PX-5S or 560, that's the same action you already don't care for. Casio has new boards with a different action, and people have different opinions about whether it is better, but I think it at least feels "close enough" that, either way, if you don't like one, you probably won't be thrilled with the other.

Boards to consider, under $700

Korg D1 - This is a low cost board but still has Korg's best action. It's a bit tubby at over 35 lbs, though. I have not heard the sounds.

Kawai ES110 - I wasn't so happy with the action, but some people like it a lot. I think the EP sounds are pretty good.

Roland FP-10 - unlike the ones above, it lacks the typical 1/4 output jacks and 5-pin MIDI jacks, which to me makes it less desirable than the others for a gigging board, though those won't be deal-breakers for everyone. FP-30 is similar, it has more sounds, but it's also heavier. Of particular interest to you might be that the 30 has 7 EP sounds rather than 2. I have not heard the EP sounds on either of these, but I have not been a big fan of Roland's SuperNatural EP sounds on other boards. Some people like them, though. I saw the DS88 mentioned, but I think it's a step down in action, and it's pricier and heavier to lug around, and it has their older (pre-Supernatural) EPs... though some people like them better than the newer ones. At least it restores the 1/4" outs and MIDI jacks.

If you can stretch upwards a bit:

Kurzweil SP6 - I haven't played this one, but I have generally found Kurz EPs above average. Action probably lags some of the others, though.

Korg SV1 - pricier, but it's been around so long that they will probably be easy to find used. Also a bit tubby to carry around. But I think it answers your later question, "which of these has the best EPs?"

Thanks! Good stuff!

I have both the SP6 and CP4. SP6"s nonAP sounds are superior to CP4, but action and sound for APs are much better on CP4. If you might layer a B3 on other instruments, SP4 is very good, and CP4 is laughable. All in my opinion, of course. I keep both for different kinds of gigs.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

For what it's worth by way of reference, a used SP6 recently sold at the Garage Sale for 800ish and Full Compass recently had a B-stock model listed for about the same.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I use Casio PX S-3000. It gas a good action; and a good Rhodes once you turn OFF all the effects on Electric Piano 1 and then save it. 25 lbs. good dynamics, onboard monitors. Very Good APs , decent Wurly, and organ.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

So which of the ones mentioned has the "best" Wurli sounds?

Those were all some great suggestions.

To describe the action im looking for: I like my Electro's sounds and i even like the action on it for organ, but for piano, it's really difficult for me to play "ghost notes." I either play them too loud on it, or not at all, even after changing the velocity response. This is the case with EPs and APs.

I can play everything the way I want on the casio and it's APs are good enough for me but I'm not a fan of the Wurli on it. I don't really want to carry 3 boards. Right now I gig with a Legend and the Nord 5d. I like the Wurli on my reface CP, and can use it as a module I guess but I was hoping for a 2 board, no module solution.

Actually, I don't think I can use the casio midi'd to the reface because the casio doesn't have midi ports. The reface takes a midi in cable

If you like Yamaha"s version of a Wurlitzer, would you consider a Yamaha P125 as mentioned above? Seems to hit most of your criteria. If you prefer to stay with 73 keys there"s the P121.

Here for the gear.

I can play everything the way I want on the casio and it's APs are good enough for me but I'm not a fan of the Wurli on it. I don't really want to carry 3 boards. Right now I gig with a Legend and the Nord 5d. I like the Wurli on my reface CP, and can use it as a module I guess but I was hoping for a 2 board, no module solution.

So it sounds like you're looking to replace the Nord in this 2-board rig?

And the biggest issue is not the sounds of the Nord, but its action? You could consider selling the Nord 5D and picking up a used Nord 5HP, the difference would probably be less than your $600 budget and you'd still have an Electro 5 in your 2-board rig, just with a more suitable piano action. Caveat: Most would say it's not a great action. But still a lot better for piano/EP than what's on the 5D, and maybe good enough. It could be the least expensive and lightest weight way to solve your problem.

Also, now that you say that your current Casio action is good enough, that does open up some other Casio possibilities, like the PX5S (same action as your current Casio, but better EPs, including good ones you can download from the casiomusicfroums site). And I'm not sure, but I think I read that the new PXS3000 has an improved wurli... though I suspect the PX5S will still be better at least for Rhodes.

But if you're going to ask me simply which board would I buy for EPs, I keep going back to the SV1. I have not played every board mentioned though (like I haven't played the SP6, or the EPs on the CP4).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It"s subjective, and we"re talking about a particular timbre and how you like it to sound.

If shops near you don"t carry any of these you"ll have to go by sound demos and/or order online with a 30-45 day return policy.

For example:

Casio PX-5S

https://m.soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/sets/privia-pro-px-5s

Yamaha P-125

Kurzweil SP6

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

So it sounds like you're looking to replace the Nord in this 2-board rig?

And the biggest issue is not the sounds of the Nord, but its action? You could consider selling the Nord 5D and picking up a used Nord 5HP, the difference would probably be less than your $600 budget and you'd still have an Electro 5 in your 2-board rig, just with a more suitable piano action. Caveat: Most would say it's not a great action. But still a lot better for piano/EP than what's on the 5D, and maybe good enough. It could be the least expensive and lightest weight way to solve your problem.

Also, now that you say that your current Casio action is good enough, that does open up some other Casio possibilities, like the PX5S (same action as your current Casio, but better EPs, including good ones you can download from the casiomusicfroums site). And I'm not sure, but I think I read that the new PXS3000 has an improved wurli... though I suspect the PX5S will still be better at least for Rhodes.

But if you're going to ask me simply which board would I buy for EPs, I keep going back to the SV1. I have not played every board mentioned though (like I haven't played the SP6, or the EPs on the CP4).

I was thinking the same thing about swapping the N5D for a N5HP if the OP is satisfied with the sounds (I sure would be). And the quality is top notch. The SV1 has always been one of my favourites for EPs, but I"m not a fan of its AP, and I think they"re overpriced on the used market - at least in my area. clonk

I still would consider the P125 / 121.

Here for the gear.

The SV1 has always been one of my favourites for EPs, but I"m not a fan of its AP

True that it's AP is not first-rate, but it can work fine in a band context... there's some discussion of this in the unlikely location of the CP73/CP88 thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2969072 - check the posts from #2984832 (April 12) through #2984958 (April 13). In this case, the OP finds the Casio CGP-700 piano sound good enough, so I think the SV1 pianos may be fine.

Since I can't get my hands on an Electro HP. How would that action compare with my CGP700?

It's a Fatar TP100, so while not even all TP100 seem to feel the same, if you can try any other TP100, it might get you at least in the ballpark. Besides Nord, you can find it in some models from Studiologic/Numa, Dexibell, Kurzweil, and Korg (Havian30).

It"s subjective, and we"re talking about a particular timbre and how you like it to sound.

If shops near you don"t carry any of these you"ll have to go by sound demos and/or order online with a 30-45 day return policy.

For example:

Casio PX-5S

https://m.soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/sets/privia-pro-px-5s

Yamaha P-125

Kurzweil SP6

I've owned all 3 of those keyboards and when it comes to Wurlie I rank them:

1. PX5S. Very playable and easy to add effects and amp simulations right out of the box.

2. SP6. A very close 2nd. After tweaking it really becomes a toss up with the Casio. I just feel a better finger to sound connection with the Casio.

3. A distant 3rd. Barely passable but in a pinch, OK.

Like others have said, your Casio has a better-than-average action in this price range. You may well need to raise your budget (although do try the Kurz SP6). How do you feel about selling the Nord to fund (say) a Kurzweil PC3/88, Forte or Artis? Heavy, but nice (imho) Fatar TP40 action? Great EPs in those, although the PC3 doesn't have the greatest AP.

s/h Nord Piano is another alternative, as is the Korg SV1, but I think its action is inferior to Casio.

Cheers, Mike.

The Rhodes in my S3000 (edited EP1 effects off) is as good sounding as the ones in the PX5S.

I know some folks don't like the fulcrum on the new S3000 shorter action; but I'm able to play pianissimo in the last 1/2" of the key. I don't play back there so often so it's a problem I can live with. The front 85% of the keys feel very nice. The AP sound is a step up so that is worth it.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."