Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paid Album Listening Events - the Next Big Thing?

I find this fascinating: people are paying to sit in the dark and listen to complete albums over gorgeous sound systems...sort of like going to the movies, but an auditory experience. Here's an article about the trend, which is happening in the UK.

Does this signify a possible return to the days when people listened to music intently, instead of just having it play in the background with data-compressed files? Or is this just another fad blip in a country that's known for them?

And what does this say about the album? Those who've visited myYouTube channel re probably aware that I prefer releasing my music in an "album" format, but I also post the individual songs as "singles." Interestingly, the albums get a lot more clicks than the individual cuts.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If all you have ever had is an iPhone and a little blu-tooth speaker I can see that this would be an assume experience. Is it for me? No. I get the same experience listening to music through my HD650's, and if I want speakers, like most people here I have a really nice set of speakers. What a lot of young people don't see, if you spend $1000 on the latest iPhone you are ready to buy again in 3 years. If you spend $1500 on a nice set of speakers, 20 years later they are still going strong.

5 years ago or more Amazon put a line of outdated Infinity speakers on Black Friday sale for a fraction of the price. I bought the full set and it is the best sound investment I have made. We are talking towers, surrounds, big center channel and a 15 inch sub. The only available sub was a different color than the only available towers but I did not care. The color of the speakers does not affect the color of the sound.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The color of the speakers does not affect the color of the sound.

And I bet you don't even use gold plated cables, either. Sheesh. :poke:

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If all you have ever had is an iPhone and a little blu-tooth speaker I can see that this would be an assume experience. Is it for me? No. I get the same experience listening to music through my HD650's, and if I want speakers, like most people here I have a really nice set of speakers.

Well, not everyone has HD650s. Those are sweet suckers!

But I can't help but wonder if there isn't a social component as well. I can see movies at home, but I like going to a movie theater and being with other humanoid bipeds. I wonder if the listening parties have discussions afterwards...

That is where we differ. I love movie night at home. Good surround system, 60" curve, 4K Blu-ray, premium food and clean bathrooms. Plus, 2 years later I can watch the movie again for free. At my age, after two years it is new again. :)

Another reason may be that my local theater suffered a bed bug infestation a few years ago. Plus, their popcorn is awful and the bathrooms are horrible. I'm in a small town, so there is only one theater.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page