Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tech 21 Paul Landers Fly Rig Cool or Uncool? #3002961 08/12/19 08:35 PM
GuardiansGuitar Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all...

I did a four-month torture test of Tech 21's Paul Landers Fly Rig PL1—which would seem to be a "not-for-everyone" kind of tone tool. What do you think?

https://guardiansofguitar.com/2019/08/12/if-loving-you-is-wrong-i-dont-wanna-be-right/

Re: Tech 21 Paul Landers Fly Rig Cool or Uncool? [Re: GuardiansGuitar] #3003050 08/13/19 03:40 PM
J. Dead Online Content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
Online Content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
Haven't tried the Fly rig, but I have the old Tri-OD (no longer made) that has served me well, as long as the programmable Bass Driver DI for my bass, that I really like. Always been a fan of their products.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: Tech 21 Paul Landers Fly Rig Cool or Uncool? [Re: GuardiansGuitar] #3003079 08/13/19 05:37 PM
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I liked your review of the drive channels and what they can and can't do - or how what you THINK they can and can't do can be altered. I do wish you had gone a bit more in-depth on the other features (delays, reverb, vibrato) and how they compare to other versions of the Fly Rig. I'll admit, while I prefer a board of individual pedals, I've considered a multi effects, and the Fly Rigs are near the top of the list when that time comes. The real-life experience you added to the review was great.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)
NEW band Old band
Re: Tech 21 Paul Landers Fly Rig Cool or Uncool? [Re: Danzilla] #3003129 08/13/19 11:48 PM
OP Offline
Hi Danzilla...

My bad on the effects. I don't use effects a lot, and to my ears, all three effects sounded fine—clean, stout, and vibey. Definitely not cheap effects that are one-dimensional or too bright.

I sooooooo dig my pedalboards of individual analog and digital stompboxes, but for those times when lugging a somewhat larger 'board to a gig is maybe too much, I would absolutely use the PL1 without any concerns about my tones taking a nap.

I hope this helps flesh things out a bit more.

Cheers,
Mike

Re: Tech 21 Paul Landers Fly Rig Cool or Uncool? [Re: J. Dead] #3003130 08/13/19 11:50 PM
OP Offline
Hi J.Dan --

No argument there. I haven't disliked ANY Tech 21 product that I've reviewed or used since my first original SansAmp. Sure, there have been a few items that didn't work for me, but nothing has ever sucked, imploded, sounded daft, or otherwise taken a dump. Great track record for that company.

Best,
Mike

Moderated by  GuardiansGuitar