Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B3 Drawbar settings for a New Mastersounds song?

Hey fellow B3-heads,

I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out the B3 drawbar settings for an amazing New Mastersounds song called "San Frantico." Anyone want to help give me a hand figuring it out?

My guess is he's using a preset, as 888800000 in the video certainly isn't it. Watching the video, it looks like the keys don't match the notes, but are a 5th higher....so I'm wondering if it's like 280080000 - but that doesn't sound quite right. Also wondering if percussion is 2nd, or even there at all. Definitely a slight bit of distortion as well, which gives it a great edge.

The song's chorus is on the lower manual, and I'm guessing that is a straightforward 888888888.

Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like 3rd percussion, normal, slow (towards the end, you can hear the percussion fade away into what sounds like a pretty generic 888800000 as he plays legato at one point).

Cranked into distortion, though.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Actually, to me it sounds like the 2nd percussion, normal, slow, with the first two drawbars pushed in, fast Leslie. 0 0 8 8 8 3 0 0 0 sounds reasonably close on my iPad Galileo

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Sounds like 3rd Perc Normal Slow with few if any drawbars pulled out more than a tiny bit. Depending on the organ you can get this sound by setting DBs to something like 121000000/ or 232000000 or even as little as 020000000 or 030000000 and the perc as described. Look closer at the vid you provided and I think you'll see I'm in the ballpark. Keep training your ears to figure this stuff out and you'll gain more usable skill.

Or am I missing something... ? Percussion aside, AFAIK the 2 left-hand sets of dBars are for the top manual, and in the video one set is pushed right in and the other is 8888. :confused:
"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Yes - was thinking the same thing about the settings. In no way are we hearing 8888. Interesting though, percussion sounds like 2nd in the early part of the song, then 3rd later on. Could be my ears playing tricks.

Or am I missing something... ? Percussion aside, AFAIK the 2 left-hand sets of dBars are for the top manual, and in the video one set is pushed right in and the other is 8888. :confused:

My best guess is that we are not seeing a true "live" session and the audio was recorded separately, or from a different take.

Folks. Look again. On my screen it appears that he has the 888800000 most of us hear, on his lower manual, and something like I described on the upper. I believe this is a live take.

48532288737_34774f7051_n.jpg

Folks. Look again. On my screen it appears that he has the 888800000 most of us hear, on his lower manual, and something like I described on the upper. I believe this is a live take.

48532288737_34774f7051_n.jpg

Don't the left hand (player's perspective) drawbars control the upper manual? The video shows him playing the melody on the upper manual, which is on the b natural preset at 88880000 in the video.

Don't the left hand (player's perspective) drawbars control the upper manual? The video shows him playing the melody on the upper manual, which is on the b natural preset at 88880000 in the video.

Yes, that's normally true, but either the pic is whack or his instrument is wired differently. All I know is that when he plays the lower manual in the vid, it sounds like the 888800000 setting to the left, and when he plays the upper manual it sounds like 000020200 w/3rd perc. to the right. :hitt: Looks wrong, but those are the sounds I hear.

Yes, that's normally true, but either the pic is whack or his instrument is wired differently. All I know is that when he plays the lower manual in the vid, it sounds like the 888800000 setting to the left, and when he plays the upper manual it sounds like 000020200 w/3rd perc. to the right. :hitt: Looks wrong, but those are the sounds I hear.

I definitely trust your ears, Steve! I guess I just don't trust my own eyes :freak::D

• 1 month later...

So it turns out my ears were working though not my eyes. I reached out to Joe Tatton and here's his reply.

Hi Steve

Apologies for taking forever to get back to you - I had completely forgotten to reply, and the reason I initially delayed is I wasn"t sure what the original settings were so was going to check

but i think you were pretty much right in that the solo sound I was deliberately going for loud percussion with 3rd / no soft and minimal drawbars - probably higher up

and 88880000 sounds about right as I often have that for padding on the lower manual

now the reason the video might not look the same is possibly because I know there is one video where I"m doing a clever mime - can you share the video with me and ill confirm that? We made a live video of the studio session that I learnt the solo for to play back so that possibly why it looks strange?

Anyway hope this helps in some way

Kind Regards

Joe