Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Aspen Pittman

Oh no! I just used my V3 last night. The big, wide sound from such a small box always amazes me. And two separate guys in the audience, both musicians, came up during a break and wanted to know where the Leslie was.

So saddened to hear this news. RIP Aspen. You will be missed. I"m hoping someone with your enthusiasm can take over the reins and keep things moving.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a shame. I never had the opportunity to meet Aspen, but from various videos and stories told he sounded like a great guy - very creative and clever too.

And so he was one of those folks on my 'Gotta meet in person' list. Now I wish I'd made the opportunity sooner..

RIP Aspen Pittman, and my deepest condolences to your family and close friends.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I once reached out to Aspen with an issue on a V3. It was late in the evening, yet he responded immediately and helped me troubleshoot. And even though I had purchased it from a retailer, he personally overnighted me a replacement so I'd have it in time for a gig. I remember that kindness whenever I use it.

He was a class act and will indeed be missed.

My sympathies to his loved ones...

I"m still in shock. I was going to call him all last week. It got to Friday and I remembered again but thought 'I don"t want to bother him right before the weekend - I"ll just call him on Monday'. Very sad news. We always had very enjoyable conversations, and I had been trying to get his V3 into some area music stores. I hope the company is able to endure and condolences to his family. :(

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Unexpected family deaths are stunning, shocking and paralyzing. It is as if your progression through life has abruptly taken a different fork in the road. You are now on a new and unwanted path. I have empathy and sympathy for the family.

Very sorry to hear, RIP. I didn't know Aspen personally, but I felt like I knew him and a lot of the folks here at KC through the SpaceStation thread, which ran like a river for years through this community. That thread was emblematic of this community, countless posts of inspired discussion. I have to think that Aspen knew he was loved by many from the KC community and that he must have been proud as heck for all the music and enjoyment his invention inspired.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

This news hit me hard last weekend.

While so many of the posts I'm seeing about Aspen are from guitarists about his Tube Amp book and other guitar-related adventures, my dealings with Aspen (much like Dave's and others here at KC) were in the realm of recording and keyboards.

What a creative genius, what a kind soul - I truly enjoyed working with Aspen, even when the unwavering stamina of his enthusiasm was outlasting my short attention span. Working in Sweetwater as a buyer, we lamented Groove Tubes ownership change as we watched the studio gear and Spacestations disappear. Perhaps Aspen always planned to relaunch some of those products - but I was glad to at least be a part of Spacestation's re-introduction to the market several years later.

Seeing his obvious multi-faceted impact on the industry and so many different individuals who are telling their own Aspen stories, it's obvious that he led a full life, and one filled with more accomplishments than most people could ever hope for. I'd say rest in peace, but I think he'd be happier staying busy, surrounded by the sound of music or car engines - or both. Gonna miss that guy.

Celebration of Life in honor of Aspen Pittman

Saturday 8/24 @ 7PM - 10PM

Burbank Marriott - Burbank Airport

2500 N Hollywood Way

Burbank, CA 91505-1019

Please spread the word for Saturday.

Please make sure to let everyone know, I will not be serving food but there will be a cash bar, coffee/tea and dried fruits and nuts. Also, I believe there is a "nice" parking fee for the hotel. Typical.

Thanks so much,

Autumn Pittman

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Really sad to hear this. I was that rare thing, a UK owner of the Spacestation, and it served me very well. His spirit of invention and enthusiasm as evinced in his YouTube videos were one of the reasons I was happy to buy and support the product.

El Lobo, thank you for posting the info on Apsen's memorial. I'm sure there will be many folks attending. I wish I could be there. I only met Aspen 3 times at NAMM shows but spoke with him over the phone several other times. His enthusiasm for the CPS technology was really infectious. And he was so incredibly helpful to everyone around here and willing to spend as much time as needed. Truly a special person.

I think it would be really cool if the original Spacestation thread could be printed out and given to Autumn at the memorial.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I apologize if the information is somewhere else in this thread, but I am curious as to the nature of this accident. Was another driver at fault or was the car Aspen was travelling in at fault?

In have to say that driving is getting rather scary to me - especially in Southern California. There is always an element of " daredevil" type driving present whenever I drive through L.A.. Particularly lately that we are seeing some highly efficient cars being operated by perhaps less than responsible drivers.

If this question is out of line please disregard it . I am not interested in gory details, probably I am hoping that Aspens vehicle was not the cause of this unfortunate event.

Very sad to hear this. I only interacted directly with Aspen briefly after I purchased a SS, and he went way above and beyond helping me get it set up, and even sent a spare fuse in case I happened to blow one. He obviously loved what he did and wanted anyone who uses his gear to get the most out of it they possibly could. Such a shame. But one of those people who I"m glad I had the opportunity to meet. RIP, Aspen, and thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I apologize if the information is somewhere else in this thread, but I am curious as to the nature of this accident. Was another driver at fault or was the car Aspen was travelling in at fault?

I have not seen information about the crash until I saw this article and then followed the links.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Shocked and sad. He was so generous with his time and knowledge. I"d ask a question, and he"d teach me for 30 minutes. Memorable lessons. Thanks to this forum, I was fortunate to purchase an SSv3 at his man-cave/warehouse of inventions, past & future, buffering a vibey studio, with a great sounding drum room from a lot with classic cars.

Thank you, Aspen. I appreciate it.

And thanks for the little stereo box and ugly brick of tubes.

• 1 month later...
A class act and terrific forward thinking audio designer. I was an early adopter of the V3 and having been using that little workhorse pretty constantly; sounds guys and gals, most of whom have never seen that diminutive CPS box, can't believe how much sound and fidelity it produces. I had a few questions when I first got it, and like other folks on the list, he communicated directly and gave me his cell number. Rock on my man ----- Flash