Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dark mode

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, hadn't explored the options for our new forum, I like it alot! Hadn't realized that dark mode on other sites for reading purposes was available.

OT, but I'm often blinded by the use of white screens on phones/computers, etc. There are various adjustments that make this better, but i've yet to find one for my wide screen tv. It's dramatic to watch movies in a darkened room, but the brightness is just way too much, I end up turning on lights in the room to deal with it. I've tried adjusting the brightness, but beyond a minor reduction it needs to be close to default settings or the semi-dark scenes become too dark and hard to see. Any thoughts?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

High contrast between the text and background is really important for readability, especially for those of us past that 40-45 age. If we are gonna go dark, please make sure the letters are 100% white (FFFFFF), and the background is 100% black (000000).

If you want to see an extremely bad case of contrast eliminated, go to espn.com, pull up any baseball box score from yesterday, notice where the team names are at the top, and look at the small text just underneath the team's record. It is the lightest possible color of off-gray - it's almost white. The only way I can read the won-lost record is to highlight that text with my mouse, which creates a dark background surrounding this almost-white text, enabling me to read it.

I have attached a screen shot which shows our MPN dark mode on the left, and then on the right shows the same text represented outside of MPN, using pure white text (FFFFFF) against a pure black background (000000).

110.jpg.a44470104342a46cf15b2831edcc0709.jpg

High contrast between the text and background is really important for readability, especially for those of us past that 40-45 age. If we are gonna go dark, please make sure the letters are 100% white (FFFFFF), and the background is 100% black (000000).

If you want to see an extremely bad case of contrast eliminated, go to espn.com, pull up any baseball box score from yesterday, notice where the team names are at the top, and look at the small text just underneath the team's record. It is the lightest possible color of off-gray - it's almost white. The only way I can read the won-lost record is to highlight that text with my mouse, which creates a dark background surrounding this almost-white text, enabling me to read it.

I have attached a screen shot which shows our MPN dark mode on the left, and then on the right shows the same text represented outside of MPN, using pure white text (FFFFFF) against a pure black background (000000).

Such a good point!

I've shook my head many many times seeing 'artistic' font colors that are greyish on white backgrounds, in a really small size. It decreases the readability for me about 50%.

As was pointed out in another thread: if you go with too black a background, some of the emoji will be a bit goofy. Minor point, I know...but still...

Y'all see that you can toggle through several different ones at the bottom, right? You can use that to pick a different one for you only, if you want. I'm going to add a few more, too - I found some really cool ones both light and dark. Lots for everyone to choose from. :2thu:

Have I mentioned that I'm spending way too much time messing around with the forum's controls? :boing::D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Thanks Dave!

I'd be OK with a somewhat white background if i could be less glaring. A mostly full screen of white is not pleasant!

Anybody got a torch???

Yeah, I torched it too (nudgenudgewinkwink) ;)

But seriously, reading reverse type on a black screen gives me too much eye-strain and ultimately a headache. Back to the ol' UBBT77, but thanks for the choice :thu:

Here for the gear.

Guess I'll be "that guy" :)

Not a fan, but I've always preferred dark text on white. All the other developers where I work like dark modes, I just have never used it if I'm given a choice (except with telnet and dos windows, those just feel right being black!)

I do like the darker colors in Logic Pro and when using a DAW and other editing software, but then I'm not reading text so much.

Edit: the best thing about adding this dark mode is that I now know I can switch styles! I prefer "ubbcentral" out of all of the options. Seems to be the cleanest.

Also, I don't think it's my imagination, but dark mode seems very sluggish (I would think it's just css styles, maybe there are additional graphics or javascript that could cause this?) Anyway, I'm using chrome fwiw.

Guess I'll be "that guy" :)

Not a fan, but I've always preferred dark text on white. All the other developers where I work like dark modes, I just have never used it if I'm given a choice (except with telnet and dos windows, those just feel right being black!)

I do like the darker colors in Logic Pro and when using a DAW and other editing software, but then I'm not reading text so much.

Edit: the best thing about adding this dark mode is that I now know I can switch styles! I prefer "ubbcentral" out of all of the options. Seems to be the cleanest.

Also, I don't think it's my imagination, but dark mode seems very sluggish (I would think it's just css styles, maybe there are additional graphics or javascript that could cause this?) Anyway, I'm using chrome fwiw.

Fellow developer here, and I agree completely. Text (as in code) should be on white background, but I can tolerate the occasional ssh-window with green-on-black just for the nostalgia.

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

Fellow white background fan here when it's primarily text. If it's images and/or graphics, I prefer dark backgrounds. Maybe because I grew up reading books with black ink on white paper, I want to read online the same way.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I prefer the dark, probably from years of sitting in a dark office writing code with dark monitor themes. I find dark backgrounds better than light to display colored text, something very common with code editors that colorized certain code elements. In emacs, the default font-lock theme was called "angry fruit salad". It has lots of strong colors. Of course, these were often customized.

I like dark themes so much I even wrote my own (see sig)! All the colors are css variables so it should be reasonably easy to modify it or turn it into a light theme.

I run my iOS browsers in Private mode which now defaults me to 'dark" until I login and disable Private, and I can"t bear to look at it.

Dark themes are just too messy. You see all the edges. Everything is in strips. Pinhole lights. Positive space is now replaced with all this clutter, competing for attention. As I said earlier: eyestrain.

This is the visual equivalent of every member of the band soloing at the same time.

A lifelong career in graphic design has ruined me, I guess.

:idk:

Here for the gear.

There is body of science dedicated to fonts, the legibility of serif and sans serif fonts and the choice of background and text colour. Everything we read in print or on line that is professionally designed reflects these basic principles. I know they exist but not the detail which is why, if a developer asks what backgound colour we want for our text rich sites in my day job I suggest they look at what the New York Times, Google, Apple or similar use it. And I suspect that same best practice guides the choice of background colour and fonts used by those who design forum software packages.

Dark mode has it place, reading ebooks in low light situations, on a plane when every else is trying to sleep, limiting blue light when winding down before bed, but not as the default choice.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

As mentioned above, I found a bunch more that I gave to Jim to add.

One of the things that I love abiout dark mode is that the hyperlinks really pop. Without the (dearly departed) underline, it can be hard to see they're there against the light background...for me, anyway.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I don't like either dark mode.

UBBT70-dark does not place thread titles with new posts in bold type.

Both dark modes on the main page configure the thread titles and OP names in the same font type/color/size. Hard on the eyes as I can't segregate the two at a glance.

Never was a fan of dark backgrounds as it strains the eyes. Fine for mobiles as it reduces battery drain, but not large monitors.

Prefer white background,

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Thanks for all your work. I'm glad there is an option. I put it back to the original as it is much easier for me to read.

Research that I've read says that dark type on a slightly offwhite background is easiest to read. I trust the research more than my eye, since they look at how people read.

I'm glad we get a choice, and thanks for pointing it out!