Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stand for a QSC K8.2?

I usually play background jazz in restaurants and similar venues. I use a single K8. I've been putting the amp on a chair just to get it off the ground, but one venue now doesn't want us to use any of their chairs. Seems like I need a speaker stand of some kind. I'd like something really simple and lightweight, just enough to get it a bit off the ground.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I use. Might not be high enough for you:

footstool.jpg

They're inexpensive, light, and fold flat. I can tilt my K8s upward a little so they project pretty well into a room, yet the horns aren't beaming at my ear level. Obviously you won't project like pole mounts but IMO you don't want that for what you're doing. I know I've done plenty of solo gigs with these and they work fine.

Google "folding footstool" and you'll see a ton of them. Here they are in action:

my_rig.jpg

Dave Ferris suggested to me this Yorkville 27" speaker stand.

It's perfect for getting a small 8" powered speaker off the ground and firing like it was designed to do (I have two, and use them for my pair of DXR8s).

Caveat - while they say they extend up to 45", their feet don't extend far enough to provide stability if you try to raise the speaker up past the 27" mark, and the clutch doesn't like to not slip with a heavy powered speaker. I ONLY use them at the shortest 27" height, which is perfect. You also can't beat the price - $21 or so.

Dave Ferris suggested to me this Yorkville 27" speaker stand.

It's perfect for getting a small 8" powered speaker off the ground and firing like it was designed to do (I have two, and use them for my pair of DXR8s).

Caveat - while they say they extend up to 45", their feet don't extend far enough to provide stability if you try to raise the speaker up past the 27" mark, and the clutch doesn't like to not slip with a heavy powered speaker. I ONLY use them at the shortest 27" height, which is perfect. You also can't beat the price - $21 or so.

I have the same for my K8.2s, and they work perfectly. Couldn't be happier.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I use 2 small tilt-back amp/speaker stands that unfortunately aren't made anymore. Looking for replacements, I found "Fender amp stand small". Search on those words and you'll see what I found. About $32 for one.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Thanks to all for the help.

The Yorkvilles proved hard to get. Only a few companies still carry them. I found one that did, but they informed me that upon boxing it up to ship to me, they saw the whole batch was defective.

I found this On Stage model, which seems to be pretty much the same: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TPHICA/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We'll see how it works on Saturday.

Since 1990, a black milk crate.

Ditto to that. Hang around the back of your local grocery store and you can come up with a variety of colors. :) Just kidding. They're cheap, buy one.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Dave, how did you know where I got mine from?

here's another hint, back in the day the longer ones (oblong) were exactly 19" and you could actually screw a rackmountable device into it......

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band