Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound Pro 145 - Worth anything?

Cleaning out some jun..., uh excess gear. I bought this about 5 years ago, didn't like it, upgraded the woofer as per recommendations, better but still didn't like it. Tweaked the heck out of it, still didn't like it. Came with the remote and a very nice custom padded cover. Since I've owned it I have put, at most, 5-6 hrs. on it. Haven't turned it on in several years but it's stored in a heated/air conditioned environment so I assume it's still in the like-new condition I bought it. My question is, is it worth anything or should I just give it away (if I were in the market for anything, I'd try to use it for a trade-in). What do you think it might be worth? It really is in like-new condition cosmetically and also mechanically/electronically (AFAIK). Would probably be costly to ship.
Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What was about the sound you didn't like? At one time that was a very popular rotary speaker.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

What was about the sound you didn't like? At one time that was a very popular rotary speaker.

Mike T.

At the time, the description sounded like a dream come true, so I bought it without ever even listening to it. Sounded way less like a leslie than the onboard sim played through good powered monitors (even after upgrading the woofer). Also, didn't like the footpedal controller. I immediately got a 3300 (for gigging) and used the powered monitors at home. Never turned it on again. Too bad too, as I still love the concept. Thanks to Delaware Dave for that suggested starting bid; that's sort of what I was looking for.

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

I love mine - my Vent isn't in the same league, so clearly we have different ears.
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

And I'm hoping a potential buyer will feel the same as you. Given it's great design and portability, I figure if the sound were there it would have been a runaway best-seller. JMO.

It must be a tricky product to market, because it's for a small niche of keyboard players, many of whom are Leslie purists. The weight and price are certainly more accessible than a 3300 and even competitive with the Studio 12 (which weighs 40 more pounds than the Pro-145!). Still, I wound up compromising with a used KBR-3D so I could get the real rotating horn but not have to bring so many amps (or tell the sound guy at the junky clubs I often play that I needed five lines).

Outside of jazz organists, I feel like most folks playing organ have at least one piano board/sound they need on the gig, and people who can bring multiple amps generally have at least a small road crew, which makes the weight of a Leslie less of an issue. Or, they're using it in the studio, which again makes the weight/fragility of a Leslie less important. I know Adam Wakeman was using the Pro-145 with Ozzy and his original band, at least a few years ago, but I also don't see them out and about very often.

All that said... have you put yours up on eBay yet? :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

It never really caught on and saw very few people gigging with them...almost never actually.

I think part of it is the cost, a new one is close to $1500. Kind of hard to justify. I have a LowPro/Pro3T. The only difference in sound (in my view) is that the Pro145 has a 70 watt horn amp where the Pro3T's is 45 watt. The Pro145 sounds a little brighter than the LowPro/Pro3T due to this difference. Also, I bought the two separately, purchasing them 2 years apart and paid $350 for each piece, $700 in total, half the cost of a Pro145. This didn't break the bank for me; also what I did like about the combination was that for smaller gigs I just brought the Pro3T and used the simulator through my K/B amp and used both on larger gigs. What i never warmed up to was the solid state amp, it gives a harsh sound at higher volumes that I didn't like. Once the vent came along with its 2 pounds of weight and a 30 second hookup (plus my aging body) it became a no brainer. 15 years ago the sims were all pretty bad; not so much in today's world, which is why you probably don't see many of them being used.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Mine cost me £500 - around $700 at the time.

Right now it would cost £1850 so it has actually appreciated if you can realise the value!

I would suggest go with a higher number and if you can do international shipping on EBay, thats how I got mine.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Thanks all. No, I haven't put it up on ebay yet because I can't find the darn controller/switch. I know it's packed up in a box somewhere in my storeroom but just the thought of unpacking all those boxes (the result of a move three years ago :) ) has brought out one of my worst characteristics, laziness. I peck away at it a little each day but keep getting distracted by the discovery of all sorts of interesting things from yesteryear :).