Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Backline Story...

You"d think they would occasionally tailor the rider to the venue, but I suppose some artists would never deign to do that.

Nice one, sir. Nice one!

:like: Dont think she charted over here, was one of her US hits a Barry White cover?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a BL co promise a Motif XF7. Called twice to confirm. We fly in , get to the venue for soundcheck and its an XS7. BL dude is 'what, thats the same, isn"t it?'. I said uh no, i can"t put my flash board with custom sounds into it. And my library file won"t load even for preset waveforms (samples). I ponder how long it would take me to try to program an XS to get close to what I need for that set (it was a Bon Jovi tribute, so fairly credible sounds are kinda important to justify why anyone would bother to fly us in for a show to begin with). The splits and layers are trivial and quick, but the underlying Voices (in Yamaha speak) took me tens and tens of hours to develop over time. I"m panicked now, i don"t have that much time.

Dude calls around and says he"s got it - leaves and comes back 30 min before downbeat with an XF8. Ok, i can load my programs. Up loaded and running in under 5 min. Had to play a weighted 88 which was slow and sluggish compared to semi-weighted for a mostly synth set, but made it thru.

I muddled around with Mainstage and creating a laptop rig, i never got as far as Song 2 w.r.t. sculpting exact tones. Just didn"t take to it, didnt" spend time to learn it, and just gave up. Still wish I could but no time for that tech study project. Too busy learning the notes I need to play.

Next Fly-in show I bought a MOXF6 that could load all of my programs, and i havent flown into a gig without my own board since. I have severe BL Trust Issues now. Now 2019 - I upgraded to a MODX7, back to 76 semi keys which is lovely for me.

Point - Depending on what the artist does, the exact model can be necessary, unfortunately.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.