Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Herbie in Toronto last night

Was really pleased to catch Herbie Hancock in Toronto last night. He has not lost a step at age 79 and looks 30 years younger than his years and still sounds new and fresh.

He seems to be having as much fun with this band as he was with Headhunters.

Band had Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, James Genus on bass, Lionel Louke doing some amazing guitar/guitar synth/vocal/vocoder techniques, and Terrance Martin playing sax, a stack of synths and vocoder.

Highly recommended to catch them on this tour with Kamasi Washington.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He fired up the AX Edge keytar a couple of times. I should post some pics. Was right up in the front row by the encore of Chameleon when he came out wearing it.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I saw Herbie twice last weekend at the Newport Jazz Festival. On Friday, he headlined with his band on the main stage. On Saturday, in probably the most awaited set of the festival, he played on the mid-sized stage in a trio with Christian McBride (now the festival artistic director) and Vinnie Colaiuta. I was in the 4th row left center aisle. It was a 4 song, 1 hour set with Footprints, Finger Painting, Maiden Voyage, and Dolphin Dance. I have a little video of Dolphin Dance on FB. Herbie said he couldn"t remember the last time he played in a trio. Though he had his Kronos along with the Fazioli, he used it only to add washes of strings under his piano solo on Maiden Voyage.

To give some perspective of Newport festival greatness, Thundercat preceded Herbie on the main stage. On Saturday, I walked a few steps from Herbie"s trio set to hear Ron Carter"s trio on the small stage, then to the main stage for Kamasi Washington as the headliner.

As an aside, my wife couldn"t believe Herbie is 79.