Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The "silent stage" thing

I spend the majority of my time behind a keyboard rig, but I've recently been playing more guitar and bass in one of my current bands. For ease of setup - not to mention relief for my aging back - I've been using an Alairex HALO, a Two Notes Audio Torpedo CAB and an Eventide H9 Max. I just plug into my keyboard sound system, and it actually sounds pretty great; plus, I can configure the rig to bass duty instantly for the few songs I play one of those.

I can't help but feel a bit odd showing up with only three pedals, though...probably similar to the discomfort some drummers I know tell me they feel when it comes to gigging with electrionic drums.

How widely are players adopting the ampless approach? :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pop band does this. If I play any strings it's banjo or my Martin acoustic guitar through a small pedalboard to a Fishman preamp out to my keyboard rack. I monitor through IEMs. Bassist is direct to desk from a SansAmp on his board. The guitarist plays a Kemper toaster direct to the desk. Objectively I thought his amps had nicer tone but it seems that monitors are easier to mix. The Kemper sounds good and his tones will probably improve with it but, he owns some

Killer amps..... USA Bad Cat, Matchless, Morgan PR12, a Tyler JTM45 clone. Etc....

In my 90s Rock band I play my Mesa Boogies. It's more fun this way. :)

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In my 90s Rock band I play my Mesa Boogies. It's more fun this way. :)

I dunno - I've got a pretty kickin' QSC system, and I can change from a single 12" to dual 10" speakers as well as change the model of the mic on the cab and reposition the mic with one click of my foot, and then reconfigure the system for bass (Ampeg fridge cab with an RE20!) with another click. It's not unfun... :idk:

Two Notes also has free software that lets you do IR's of your favorite amp. I've never used that though, so I can't speak to the quality.

dB

So you are playing through QSC monitors? That I would not consider a silent stage set up. In our Pop band the only stage sound is the drums and the sound of the non-amplified vocals. We hear everything through IEMs.

Fair enough.

We tried running my "silent" guitars through the (Line 6 Lt2) PA only, but it didn't feel right. The other acoustic player is running through the PA only already, and I feel like we get better separation keeping my guitar in my QSCs...

...or maybe I'm just too set in my ways to not have the sounds I'm making come out of my sound system. :idk::D

dB

Good acoustic amplification to me has the same specs as good keyboard amplification. My best acoustic rigs are always my KB rigs. I do have an 180 watt Fishman LoudeBox for convenience. But if I'm doing a somewhat decent Country utility man gig I play through a pedalboard with some effects and a ABC switch pedal to choose if it's banjo, guitar or dobro that is live, then preamps small mixer and DIs. If I run to speakers I use a pair of EV ZX1As.

I don't like IEMs on electric guitar gigs but nothing is better for hearing everything it's just not as visceral to me.... Less connected to the instrument.