Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio : PX-360M vs CDP-S350 vs PX-S3000 vs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you"re happy with the 350 I"d be inclined to look at 360M. Having played the 1000 recently I found that while the key texture is nice and the path of the keys has less wobble, there"s an area in front of the fall board about 3/4' to an inch in size where it"s difficult to get a note to trigger. The weighting seems a bit lighter than the previous models. But this really depends on your expectations and if you play in all key signatures (#/b in particular) and need to go deep on the keys to grab thicker chord voicings or not so much. If your technique is to play on the fronts of the keys this is not an issue. Please try the new 3000 or 1000 out to see if it works for you. By now most Guitar Centers have at least one of them on the floor.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hello,

Already have a PX-350. For a second home use, which one is best ?

No sure the 3000 whithout any screen is confortable.

The PX-S3000 has a screen, same size as the one on your PX-350. I think you'd find everything on the PX-S3000 a step up from your PX-350 including the action, piano sound and more. What differentiates the PX-S3000 from all of the others is that you can edit tones and effects and there is a lot of depth here to customize it for yourself.

The PX-360 actually has the same piano sound as your PX-350 and the same keyboard action. The piano sound does have adjustable damper resonance and string resonance not found on the PX-350. The major benefits fo the PX-360 include the large graphic LCD and other direct access buttons that make it so incredible nice and fast to navigate. There are many new other sounds over your PX-350 including new stereo strings, guitars, drums and more.

The CDP-S350 is new this year and is only found at Guitar Center stores (and their online equivalents). It has a similar keyboard action to the PX-S3000 and many of the extra hundreds of sounds are similar to the PX-S3000 too. The piano sound is unique to this model, it is similar to the piano in the CT-X series that came out last year - which are really nice. This model is 64 note polyphony compared to the others which are 128.

I hope this helps.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I just replaced my 360 with a S3000, no regrets at all. I feel it"s quite a substantial improvement. It sounds much nicer, and responds better.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Damn, I wish the PX-560 was in your list so Mike Martin would have included that in the comparison with the PX-S3000 and PX-360. The PX-560 is $300 more than the PX-360, but it has a lot of great features.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Damn, I wish the PX-560 was in your list so Mike Martin would have included that in the comparison with the PX-S3000 and PX-360. The PX-560 is $300 more than the PX-360, but it has a lot of great features.

Easy enough.

The PX-560 shares the large color touchscreen interface of the PX-360. The core of its front panel buttons and user interface are the same making it very fast and easy to use. One big difference is that the PX-360 is a "preset" piano. You can make your own splits and layers and store them but you can't edit the tones themselves. Here is a partial list of things the PX-560 has over the PX-360:

• Pitch and Modulations Wheels
  • Expression Pedal Input
  • Full editable tones including Casio's unique Hex Layer synth engine with downloadable sounds on Casiomusicforums.com
  • Editable effects
  • 3 Assignable real-time control knobs
  • 256 note polyphony

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thank you for all your comments.

Unfortunately, I'm quite far from any store to have a trial.

In this kind of technological products, we are often tempted to choose the last generation leaves sometimes to go down a little range.

Is the CDP-S350 inferior to any 350 or 360M ? Keyboard touch/sound

PX-360M : 670

PX-560M: 915

CDP-S350 : 530

PX-S3000: 890 (almost twice than the CDP)

Regards

In this kind of technological products, we are often tempted to choose the last generation leaves sometimes to go down a little range.

PX-360M : 670

PX-560M: 915

CDP-S350 : 530

PX-S3000: 890 (almost twice than the CDP)

Regards

Lower polyphony (you may not notice) and the piano sound isn"t from Casio"s flagship AiR sound engine which you find on your 350 and 360. No damper resonance (you also may or may not notice) and a few other things are stripped from this price point. But might not be that relevant to your needs. You already have a PX-350. Maybe the CDP is fine as a second board for convenience. The PX-S1000 or CGP-700 are also worth a look for your budget.

Here"s the manual.

https://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/Web_PX360-ES-1A_EN.pdf

I know on the 560 you can raise and decrease brightness.

Also, as you mull this decision over consider chatting specifically with Casio owners and reps at the excellent Casio forums.

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/

And remember to purchase your Casio from a dealer that offers a trial period to decide if you are happy with your purchase.

Wow, your prices are very different. At current exchange rates (Euros go for 1.12 dollars) here's the difference (which doesn't account for sales tax, which in the USA is applied according to the state you live in. For me in California, it's 7.25%, in some states there is no sales tax).

[font:Times New Roman]PX-360M : 670 x 1.12= $750 ////// Cost in US is $899

PX-560M: 915 x 1.12 = $1,024 ////// Cost in US is $1,199

CDP-S350 : 530 x 1.12 = $530 ////// Cost in US is $399

PX-S3000: 890 x 1.12 = $996 ////// Cost in US is $799[/font]

Regards

It's curious that all the prices in the US end in 99, whereas none of the European prices do, which leads to various speculations, one being that the US is a larger market and other markets are set accordingly. Another is that Americans are used to the $99.99 way of pricing.

I wonder too how much cheaper products become over time in the US compared to Europe. AFAIK, the $899 price for the PX-360 is always what it's been, price drops do happen in the US, but I suspect not as often as they do in the European market.

I have always heard prices were cheaper in the US compared to Europe and South America. According to your prices that''s not always the case, and from my recent attempts to buy keyboards from Europe that had lower prices than the US.

How much is your sales tax?

As far as getting the more recent versions of technology, there's several different scenarios.

One is that oftentimes they start out with a premium package, like the Montage, and down the road it becomes the MODX, which is mostly a subset of the more expensive board.

Another is that products are created for specific markets. The PX-560 is an outlier for Casio, it has more features than any of their other 88 note boards and is more expensive (other than possibly the PX-5s and console pianos).

The 560 may be 4 years older, but if I was to buy a board new, at this time, I'd probably go with the 560, even though in the US it's 50% more expensive. While the new S3000 gets high marks for a somewhat better keybed and upgraded sound for the pianos, I don't like that last 1/2" to 3/4" non-playable area just before the fall board, and I don't like small displays. Also the 560 has MIDI jacks, a very user friendly touch display, hex layers and in many ways is actually an upgrade from the S3000.

But if I wasn't in a hurry, I'd stick with the PX-350 you have, and wait until NAMM of next year (which typically mean April to June of the next year by the time they're available). They're overdue for an upgrade to the PX-5s and the 560. I imagine then you'd have the upgraded piano action, BT, piano sounds/engine, but with a larger display and other capabilities that are more advanced.

You do have the Chordana Play app that can be used with your 350, I wonder how good a substitute that is for the smallish display.

• 3 weeks later...

I played the S350 at GC. Impressive for the money. The pianos sound good. Some had a lot of punch. I know it"s a cheaper board but is there a way to arrange you favorite sounds in a convenient way for gigs. I didn"t see if there a user bank, quick access function or the equivalent a favorites function.

I like the narrow depth. I may get one anyway for my home desk.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I played the S350 at GC. Impressive for the money. The pianos sound good. Some had a lot of punch. I know it"s a cheaper board but is there a way to arrange you favorite sounds in a convenient way for gigs. I didn"t see if there a user bank, quick access function or the equivalent a favorites function.

It has 8 banks of 4 registrations, total of 32 locations for storing your favorites.

-Mike Martin

Casio

What does "smooth transition" refer too?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

What does "smooth transition" refer too?

Hold keys down (or have sustain pedal depressed on one sound), switch to another sound for subsequent notes, and not hear the first sound's notes cut off until you let go of the keys (or release the pedal).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It has 8 banks of 4 registrations, total of 32 locations for storing your favorites.

Thanks Sir.

I had just sat with it at the store Monday and used the rotary knob. All I would need would be my favorite piano or two and a Rhodes and a Wurlitzer or two. I was impressed with this board. I could gig with it if I was playing the music I should be playing.

Piano bank and EP bank and I would be good. .... I forgot about claves. Never played any clavs. I assume it has those too.

Thanks again.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

For a Rhodes on the S3000 simply take Electric Piano 1 and turn off the steely dan effects(phaser and tremolo) and you have a good clean tone work horse Rhodes.