Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WoodStock 50 Officially Off

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good riddance.

Melanie (who played at the original Woodstock) is my neighbor, and she was supposed to go...but I bet her quality of life will be better with it canceled. And she probably wouldn't have gotten paid :)

Oh well.

But Progstock is still happening over Columbus Day weekend in Rahway, NJ. Saga, Nektar, IO Earth, Robert Berry's 3.2, Rocket Scientists, Discipline, randy McStine, The Cyberiam, Salem Hill, Rachel Flowers and more. And for less than what you would have paid for Woodstock! Stick around for the Saturday night late late show, and you might even see me playing a few tunes.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I had no intention of going, so it makes no difference to me.

I don't think the organizers were up for the job, although it was a good idea, and I couldn't even do it as well as they did.

I feel badly for the cancelled acts though. It's always tough to lose a gig, even if you are famous. A chance to play for a large, appreciative audience is what most of us live for.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I'm not sure it would have gone over. People are spoiled. I know I am. Given the choice between standing in a field, rain or shine, using portable toilets and trying to see over the heads of the people in front of me, or sitting in an arena with padded chairs with arm rests and cup holders, full plumbing facilities, and loads of hot food choices, ⦠I know my choice. Not to mention that the arena has better parking and roads. Remember the traffic nightmare of the original Woodstock?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Merriweather Post is in the neighborhood, but I still had no intention of going. Last show I saw there, I think, was The Lovin' Spoonful. I even stopped going to outdoor bluegrass shows years ago (there was one every Sunday from Spring to Fall within about 30 miles of home) when instead of 3 bands on a Sunday afternoon for five or six bucks admission, including parking, they started calling them festivals, booked 25 bands for the weekend, and charged $150. I outgrew festivals before they even got to be a thing.

I was one of the first to see Woodstock when it hit the theaters in 1969, but I was unaware of the festival at the time it happened. I wouldn't have gone even if I'd known, as I wasn't yet a teenager.

I had no intention of trekking across the country for the 50th anniversary, so I'm not upset about its cancellation. The sixties are long gone anyway.

Nonetheless, I will always remember the event of watching the film as something of a watershed in my music tastes, which grew up a bit after being exposed to the performances of The Who, Sly & The Family Stone, Santana, Richie Havens, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Joan Baez, et al.

Fond memories of peace and love...

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Woodstock was simultaneously the zenith, and the beginning of the end, of the hippie movement. Given what happened to the generation that was supposedly committed to peace and love, it's no great loss...except for the sense of musical adventurism, that I don't think has ever really been re-captured.

I didn't go to the original because I was gigging. Performers dilemma: when the good acts come to town, we are gigging. If we're not gigging we couldn't afford the ticket price anyway so we might as well gig. ;)

I prefer concerts in smaller venues anyway, and don't like big outdoor concerts. I saw a couple back in the day when stadium rock started. The acoustics were terrible-ble-ble-ble-ble-ble the audience unruly, and traffic jam afterwards exceedingly irritating.

But I do enjoy playing for huge audiences.

But then I enjoy playing more than I do listening anywhere. If the band is better than me I want to sit in, experience that and learn something. If the band is worse than me I want to sit in and help it along. If the music is terrible I walk out.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<