Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hey, I'm in a Pink Floyd Band! #3001951 08/06/19 01:21 AM
MathOfInsects Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
A couple of months ago I picked up the keyboard chair in a longstanding Pink Floyd tribute show called PFX (The Pink Floyd Experience). This is them here: https://thepinkfloydexperience.net/ They also book as Pink Froyd. https://www.facebook.com/PinkFroydSanDiego/

This past Winter they toured as the opening act for (the actual) Foreigner in Canada.

A couple of weeks ago I played my first full show with them, headlining a music festival in Mammoth, CA. We did Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety, which started at sundown, sandwiched between 10 or 12 other songs.

Apparently the festival is essentially built around this group, so to say it was crowded is an understatement. The crowd was shoulder to shoulder extending as far back into the village as you could see.

They posted a couple of videos from the performance on that FB page. Here is one they posted that includes my synth solo on Run Like Hell: https://www.facebook.com/PinkFroydSanDiego/videos/2429444163941068/

The next two on that page are Great Gig and Wish You Were Here.

A couple of members here (DanL and CowboyNQ) helped me with samples and advice, and for that I am most grateful. If they or any other members are curious to see the whole DSOTM from that night, or anything else we did, PM me and I'll send a private link.

Enjoy!

"
KC Island
Re: Hey, I'm in a Pink Floyd Band! [Re: MathOfInsects] #3002090 08/07/19 12:06 AM
CowboyNQ Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Congrats on the show Josh, sounds like it was a roaring success. Nice job on the Run Like Hell solo too!

I know how hard you worked to get yourself up to speed with a tight deadline looming, not that there was any doubt in my mind that you'd get the job done.

A heads up - in addition to myself and DanL, our brother MorayM is also in a Pink Floyd tribute. He's been a little quiet on here lately, but I'm sure he'd be a useful resource for ideas, plus he's a friendly chap to boot.

Re: Hey, I'm in a Pink Floyd Band! [Re: MathOfInsects] #3002096 08/07/19 02:05 AM
samuelblupowitz Offline
The number of players in Floyd tributes in this forum hasn’t been lost on me; it’s a lot of fun. Looking forward to checking out more of this.

Also, it’s good to know who to call the next time I’m frustrated with how my synth patch sounds on Have a Cigar. wink

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Re: Hey, I'm in a Pink Floyd Band! [Re: MathOfInsects] #3002206 08/07/19 10:08 PM
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'll join the party as well. In 2015, then briefly as a sub last summer, I covered the chair for Echoes of Pompeii - a regional PF Tribute. Had lots of help from a few members here - as my notice for the first show was very short. DanL, Markay, Redkey, Greg McGuirk (McGoo), and Tony Orant (TonySounds) were invaluable in providing charts and advice. And for those of you who also use a Kronos live, Bill Busch's Famous Synth Sounds banks were invaluable to me in setting up Combis and Programs.

"Someday, we will look back on these days and laugh. It may be a maniacal laugh from within the confines of our padded cells, but it will be a laugh nonetheless" - Mr. Boffo.

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara