Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself #3001909 08/05/19 08:08 PM
matthew mcglynn Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I'm the moderator for this new microphone forum. For those who don't know me, here is a bit of background on what can only be described as my addiction to microphones.

It started with a drum overhead mic test in my bedroom studio. I recorded myself for a minute with each of two different pairs of overhead mics. The difference was remarkable. The second set of mics sounded so much better -- bigger sound stage, deeper, brighter, glossier... What blew me away was the ease of the upgrade. That is, the drums hadn't changed. The room hadn't changed. I certainly hadn't suddenly become a better player. All I'd done was swap from one pair of microphones to another -- and that made a visceral improvement to my recorded tracks. I was instantly hooked.

I had to know more. I wanted to know about every microphone on the market, so I could make informed purchase decisions. I wanted to know how all those other microphones sounded. I wanted to know how they worked. And I wanted to write all this down in a way I'd be able to access.

So, I built a website called RecordingHacks.com. That gave me an excuse to spend most of the next 5 years analysing and writing about microphones. I wrote mic reviews, "shootouts," (never loved that term, but never found a better one) and even some lab testing on mics from every company you can name. The canonical example of that insanity was the "The $60,000 Ribbon Mic Shootout," during which three engineers and five artists spent a week testing 30 different models of ribbon mic from 17 different companies. All the audio is online for everyone to hear. There were many smaller-scale reviews as well. I tried to test mics on multiple sources, recognizing that any single source won't paint a complete picture of any microphone's real-world performance.

After spending years figuring out what made other people's mics sound good (or, too often, not so good!), I channeled my energy into making DIY upgrades for inexpensive condensers. The result of that effort was a company called MicParts, which evolved from making upgrade kits to making full microphone kits and even custom-built microphones. Some of those DIY products were really successful; I started receiving more requests for completed microphones than we could handle. This demonstrated a need within the admittedly saturated microphone industry for the sorts of microphones I'd been imagining. That led me to create Roswell Pro Audio, which draws on the R&D work we've done for MicParts, but expands and upgrades those designs, adds great accessories, warranty, marketing, etc.

So, anyway, I know a bit about microphones. smile And I love talking about them. That's what this forum is for -- Q&A, advice and recommendations, how to mic certain sources, how NOT to, studio stories, and so on.

Please use this Introductions thread to introduce yourselves and say hello. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and learning from you all too!

Last edited by matthew mcglynn; 08/21/19 09:47 PM.

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com
Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3001969 08/06/19 05:10 AM
Dave Bryce Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club
Welcome to MPN, brother Matt! It's great to have you here! Pull up a chair and let the server know what you're drinking... coffee
As far as introductions: Hi, I'm Dave Bryce. I work here. I enjoy playing the piano (and a few other instruments) and trying to make decent sounding records. wave

dB

Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3002013 08/06/19 03:54 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Big welcome from me also. David Doerfler aka davedoerfler. Dave or david, I have no preference. Do you prefer Matt or Matthew?
I try to be helpfull, doubt if that applies to this forum. I migrated over to Keyboard Corner earlier this decade after many, many years on the various Yahoo keyboard groups.
I played live music for 25 years, now a home hobbyist. I have only a few microphones, slowly aquiring more. I work in Washington DC for a news agency in the technical operations dep't.
We use Shure SM7B's in all of our studios, there are a couple hundred of them placed over four floors of an office building. AKG headphones also.
I worked music retail for a decade, and had a very short stint as a Kurzweil rep 20 years ago. Looking forward to meeting you in person, really liked the video dB posted in another thread.
Will you be at AES in NYC this fall? I was there last year, hoping to make it back this year, even if only for a day.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.

Moderated by  matthew mcglynn