Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself #3001909 08/05/19 08:08 PM
matthew mcglynn Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I'm the moderator for this new microphone forum. For those who don't know me, here is a bit of background on what can only be described as my addiction to microphones.

It started with a drum overhead mic test in my bedroom studio. I recorded myself for a minute with each of two different pairs of overhead mics. The difference was remarkable. The second set of mics sounded so much better -- bigger sound stage, deeper, brighter, glossier... What blew me away was the ease of the upgrade. That is, the drums hadn't changed. The room hadn't changed. I certainly hadn't suddenly become a better player. All I'd done was swap from one pair of microphones to another -- and that made a visceral improvement to my recorded tracks. I was instantly hooked.

I had to know more. I wanted to know about every microphone on the market, so I could make informed purchase decisions. I wanted to know how all those other microphones sounded. I wanted to know how they worked. And I wanted to write all this down in a way I'd be able to access.

So, I built a website called RecordingHacks.com. That gave me an excuse to spend most of the next 5 years analysing and writing about microphones. I wrote mic reviews, "shootouts," (never loved that term, but never found a better one) and even some lab testing on mics from every company you can name. The canonical example of that insanity was the "The $60,000 Ribbon Mic Shootout," during which three engineers and five artists spent a week testing 30 different models of ribbon mic from 17 different companies. All the audio is online for everyone to hear. There were many smaller-scale reviews as well. I tried to test mics on multiple sources, recognizing that any single source won't paint a complete picture of any microphone's real-world performance.

After spending years figuring out what made other people's mics sound good (or, too often, not so good!), I channeled my energy into making DIY upgrades for inexpensive condensers. The result of that effort was a company called MicParts, which evolved from making upgrade kits to making full microphone kits and even custom-built microphones. Some of those DIY products were really successful; I started receiving more requests for completed microphones than we could handle. This demonstrated a need within the admittedly saturated microphone industry for the sorts of microphones I'd been imagining. That led me to create Roswell Pro Audio, which draws on the R&D work we've done for MicParts, but expands and upgrades those designs, adds great accessories, warranty, marketing, etc.

So, anyway, I know a bit about microphones. smile And I love talking about them. That's what this forum is for -- Q&A, advice and recommendations, how to mic certain sources, how NOT to, studio stories, and so on.

Please use this Introductions thread to introduce yourselves and say hello. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and learning from you all too!

Last edited by matthew mcglynn; 08/21/19 09:47 PM.

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com
Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3001969 08/06/19 05:10 AM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Welcome to MPN, brother Matt! It's great to have you here! Pull up a chair and let the server know what you're drinking... coffee
As far as introductions: Hi, I'm Dave Bryce. I work here. I enjoy playing the piano (and a few other instruments) and trying to make decent sounding records. wave

dB

Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3002013 08/06/19 03:54 PM
davedoerfler Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Big welcome from me also. David Doerfler aka davedoerfler. Dave or david, I have no preference. Do you prefer Matt or Matthew?
I try to be helpfull, doubt if that applies to this forum. I migrated over to Keyboard Corner earlier this decade after many, many years on the various Yahoo keyboard groups.
I played live music for 25 years, now a home hobbyist. I have only a few microphones, slowly aquiring more. I work in Washington DC for a news agency in the technical operations dep't.
We use Shure SM7B's in all of our studios, there are a couple hundred of them placed over four floors of an office building. AKG headphones also.
I worked music retail for a decade, and had a very short stint as a Kurzweil rep 20 years ago. Looking forward to meeting you in person, really liked the video dB posted in another thread.
Will you be at AES in NYC this fall? I was there last year, hoping to make it back this year, even if only for a day.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3009212 09/23/19 04:21 PM
shaund Offline
Hi all - I'm Shaun - I live in the Pacific NW, have a project studio in my backyard. Enjoy DIY'ing mics, acoustic treatment, etc. I play bass, record a couple bands I'm in, and also do engineering for friends on occasion. I have a day job in tech - I help run a software consulting firm.

If anybody is in the Portland area and is a mic nerd (or a bass nerd, or a recording nerd), would love to meet up for a beer or tea and talk shop. I recently finished my first mic build (a Mic Parts mic) and am contemplating my next move...

Excited that this very specific forum exists smile

Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3009361 09/24/19 04:03 AM
KuruPrionz Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Hi, Michael here, aka Opossum Apocalypse on Metapop and Kuru Prionz in various places.
I went down the guitar rabbit hole but I love mics. Have read TapeOp magazine off and on for decades.

It's fair to say that I am an "anti-guitar nerd" guitar nerd. Not a cork sniffer but probably as picky as one. I am certain that many of my choices are not favored at all by genuine cork-sniffers.
There is something completely fabulous about doing a black-out treatment on a Peavey Transtube Studio Pro (Red Stripe) and having another guitarist ask me what amp I am using and how I get my tones.
It only gets worse when they find out I use EMG pickups!!!!

Anyway, having owned and used a Shure KSM44 and KSM27 and a Rode NTK, I've realized that I need to select microphones that work in my humble home studio space.
Living in a 33 unit condo near I-5, I can't have a super sensitive mic picking up everything and remain happy.

Using cardiod dynamic mics now, my favorite is a Shure KSM8. I also love my ElectroVoice PL95 and my Peavey 520i. I use a Cloudlifter CL-1 on them and I've got distracting external noise well under control for the most part.
The Canadian truckers throwing their air brakes on to avoid crushing a Whatcom County driver attempting to merge at 35mph (it's faster than a cow!!!!) will cut through just about anything but that is pretty rare.

I'll be reading, and learning.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: KuruPrionz] #3009366 09/24/19 04:27 AM
davedoerfler Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
I use a Cloudlifter CL-1 on them

thu

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3009454 09/24/19 07:03 PM
matthew mcglynn Offline OP
OP Offline
Welcome, Michael and Shaun!

My pals at Shure are rightfully proud of the KSM8. They shared some early renderings and data about that mic with me during R&D. I'm always psyched to see a company doing real science in the moving-coil space ( as opposed to buying cheap cartridges from Alibaba, stuffing them into gimmicky housings and claiming "it sounds better than an SM58!" ).

RecordingHacks.com | MicParts.com | RoswellProAudio.com
Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3009600 09/25/19 03:21 PM
Dr Mike Metlay Offline
I'm Mike Metlay (aka "Dr. Mike"). Until recently I was the Editor of RECORDING Magazine, and I spent 23 years trying to teach people how to choose and use microphones effectively. I consider it a great honor to be on friendly terms with many of the best mic designers and builders in the world, and I owe what I know to them and acknowledge that fact as often as I can.

These days I'm a freelancer, doing everything from audio writing and editing to content creation and recording. My mic locker is small but effective, with a couple of good quality large-diaphragm condensers (full disclosure - including one of Matt's mics), a matched pair of tube small-diaphragm condensers, one or two dynamic mics, and a couple of USB and special-purpose mics. Most of what I do is radio and video voiceover work, field recording, and sound design for sample creation, and it doesn't take a huge locker to do that effectively.

I use a Cloudlifter CL-1Z when appropriate. I don't know if Cloud Microphones will ever post the video they took of me talking (well, okay, screaming) about it at a trade show.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, whoop de doo)
Wordsmith - Musician - Tech Freak - Amiable Zany
Everyone on this forum is a friend I haven't met yet
-- except for Bryce, who's, well, YOU know.
Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: matthew mcglynn] #3010050 09/27/19 08:09 PM
KuruPrionz Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Hi Matthew,
Have you tried a KSM8 yet? It is truly a NEW microphone, unlike all previous dynamic mics.
I read the reviews and the Shure spec sheets. I bought it used, figured I could get my money back out of it if I didn't like it.
But, I LOVE it!!!
The sweet spot is much larger than traditional single diaphragm cardiod dynamic mics and the cardioid pattern is really clean and accurate.
I know it was intended for live vocal performance but I love it for recording. It is easy to learn how to use it and it responds very well to putting a pop filter in front.

With the Cloudlifter on it, singing from 3-4 inches away is perfect and it doesn't "thin out" at all at that distance, still a full, rich, clear vocal sound.

So I am going to keep it.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Introductions / Please Introduce Yourself [Re: Dr Mike Metlay] #3010096 09/28/19 04:56 AM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Originally Posted by Dr Mike Metlay
I don't know if Cloud Microphones will ever post the video they took of me talking (well, okay, screaming) about it at a trade show.

I believe the issue is that you said you were the editor of Recording when it was edited it and got titles added, but then that changed before we posted the vid. We just need to tweak it.

dB
Cloud Mics

Moderated by  matthew mcglynn