Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2019 Thread

Mood: HOPEFUL!

http://a64.tinypic.com/2ldcefd.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The Cardinals come to Atlanta for their first series this year against the Braves. Seems like the Cards always have the Braves number. I think its been years since Atlanta has won the seasons series against them. But things are starting to click, with Acuna, Jr. in the leadoff spot and Nick Markakis proving me correct that hes still got a lot of gas left in his tank. To whit:

http://a63.tinypic.com/nmmdjs.jpg

Edit: The pic got cropped. Markakis has only 18 strikeouts in the same 144 at bats.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Seems like the Cards always have the Braves number.

And...the Cardinals beat the Braves 14-3 in game one. :mad:

• 1 month later...

My Braves are en fuego! 9-1 in their past 10 games. Should be 10-0 except for a blown save by Luke Jackson.

http://a63.tinypic.com/2r4k20w.jpg

http://a66.tinypic.com/iwok7r.jpg

Alex Anthopolous :cheers:

Ill drink to him! :cheers:

He got all kinds of grief over not making any big deals in the offseason but hes looking like a genius lately. The Dallas Keuchel signing is going to be huge. But Ive always been partial to sinkerball, ground ball pitchers.

• 2 weeks later...
The Mets have found their best home run hitter in franchise history in Pete Alonso,.

Alonso is the real deal, but keep in mind that statistically home runs are up all over the game. The best guys are hitting them at better than 1/10 AB's, which is crazy as it puts them in Ruth/Bonds territory. I'm sure there's theories as to why. Strikeouts are up, so it may be that hitters are changing their approach and aiming for the fences more, missing the ball more too. Point is, you have to take "best ever" with a grain of salt.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Great game in London today. 17-7 in the 7th. :idk :facepalm:

It just smells like $ to me. Ok, I guess for this time of year. I just see a bunch of young executives coming up with ideas to grow their brand. Barnstorming in foreign countries wasnt popular with old time owners as they were left out of the $ way back when.

17-10 now. At least I have this on a really hot humid day in NY.

I am glad that they called the Astros's Jake Marisnick out for his collision with Angels catcher Jonathan Lucroy. There is a video you can watch on ESPN's web site Angels catcher Lucroy was positioned way inside the foul line, and baserunner , Marisnick headed for the catcher instead of the plate. On the replay you can see Marisnick's left foot is about 2-3 feet inside the foul line, as he lowers his shoulder to make impact into Lucroy's head. In can NFL game, this type of impact would result in at least an ejection.

Anyone else see Charlie Culbersons throw to the plate? That guy is so clutch. Didnt even have time to square his shoulders - he was running away from the best angle. The throw was clocked at 91 mph. See it here:

And another angle here:

• 4 weeks later...
So the Mets held on to all their starting pitchers, even Zack Wheeler who can become a free agent at the end of the season. Presumably they did this to make a playoff run, even though they are using a closer whose ERA is over 5, the rest of their bullpen is bad, and they would need to vault over 5 teams to reach the second wild card spot.

Astros now favored to win the World Series, Superbowl, and Nobel Prize for economics. I can't recall a stronger rotation than Verlander, Cole, Greinke, and Miley. The only weakness may be an average-ish bullpen, which should hardly matter with those starters.

But it's an interesting time in the Bay Area, with both the A's and Giants somehow in borderline contention. I feel some optimism about the Giants' future now that they are claiming to have abandoned their strategy of overpaying free agents on the downhill side of their careers.

Astros now favored to win the World Series, Superbowl, and Nobel Prize for economics. I can't recall a stronger rotation than Verlander, Cole, Greinke, and Miley. The only weakness may be an average-ish bullpen, which should hardly matter with those starters.

But it's an interesting time in the Bay Area, with both the A's and Giants somehow in borderline contention. I feel some optimism about the Giants' future now that they are claiming to have abandoned their strategy of overpaying free agents on the downhill side of their careers.

While the Yankees currently have the best record in the AL, and they have a really good bullpen, their starting pitching stinks. Their highest ranked pitcher who has enough innings to qualify (Tanaka) is 27th in the AL in ERA. If you reduce the number of minimum innings to 80, to allow for the possibility that maybe they have some good starters who have missed some time for injuries, then the rankings show the Yankees' Domingo German at #24, and then three more Yankees starters at #38, #39, and #40.

I think their best plan for the playoffs will be to start their bullpen in games 1 and 3 of the playoffs, and cede game 2 by using two of their starters to cover it.

The worst possible thing for the Giants long term is them pseudo 'contending' right now. This prevented them from selling at the deadline as well as hurting their draft position next year.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

The Astros also picked up Aaron Sánchez, a starter who would be very good in the bullpen in a playoff series.

Greinke is also insurance if Gerrit Cole bolts after this season. We"ll see how much is left in the tank for Greinke. He"s 35, with 2,800 MLB innings on that arm.

As for rotations, the Nationals and the hated Dodgers have awfully good ones, as do the Mets. And I really like the Braves starters: Keuchel, Max Freid, Siroka, and Teheran. Siroka could actually win Cy Young AND Rookie of the Year. Who was the last to do that? Fernando Valenzuela. Of the hated Dodgers.

Yea! Go Tigers. While not as long as the Cubs drought was, it's still been most of my adult life...

The Braves thank you for trading to us Shane Greene! :)

Sox swept in 5 straight by Yanks.

David Price, Rick Porcello, Nathan Eovaldi, and Chris Sale are a combined 21-23. Those four are making $84M this year. Chris Sale a relative bargain in this group at $15M, but he's 5-11 and he'll make $30M next season. With the Red Sox lineup you'd expect any triple A pitcher could equal Sale's record.

A little more fun math: David Price has been paid about $2.4M for each win earned as a Red Sock.

Sox swept in 5 straight by Yanks.

David Price, Rick Porcello, Nathan Eovaldi, and Chris Sale are a combined 21-23. Those four are making $84M this year. Chris Sale a relative bargain in this group at $15M, but he's 5-11 and he'll make $30M next season. With the Red Sox lineup you'd expect any triple A pitcher could equal Sale's record.

A little more fun math: David Price has been paid about $2.4M for each win earned as a Red Sock.

I caught some of that Chris Sale game. He got lit up, but he was also consistently robbed by a terrible home plate umpire. I"m so ready for robot umpires.

Yea! Go Tigers. While not as long as the Cubs drought was, it's still been most of my adult life...

The Braves thank you for trading to us Shane Greene! :)

I may have spoken too soon. What"s the Tiger"s return policy?

• 1 month later...