Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ask Editor Boy

Here's the thread to post any question to former GUITAR PLAYER Editor in Chief Michael Molenda.

What happened at GP? What was your best/worst interview? Why did you do this or that while managing the magazine content?

Post YouTube links and I'll be happy to constructively critique your songwriting, guitar playing, audio production, or video-concept skills, and offer tools for improvement and/or self-examination.

Post YouTube links and I'll consider your track(s) for release via the Guardians of Guitar label distributed by Mi5 Recordings/Universal Music Group.

Pretty much whatever you want to know will be revealed if you ask, and whatever counsel you desire to assist your musical endeavors will be offered.

Please don't be shy...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KevinIanCommon: Ray Davies' confessional interview snippet about his family not digging him as his voice rose up was a surprise. My tape deck was shuddering atop the table in the restaurant where the interview was taking place. I also never got Johnny Winter to say anything of value in three interview attempts. He was going through some "issues" each time, alternately dozing off, or being silent, or giving one word answers. I know that other journalists got really good interviews from him, but my timingâor maybe just meâwas so off that none of the interviews were usable. Way back in the dayâbefore GP when I worked as a stringer for Musician's NewsâI have a hilarious tape of trying to interview Iggy Pop backstage at the Market Street Cinema as he was simultaneously running into the walls of a hallway. "Jabber jabber BAM jabber jabber BAM." Of course, when I interviewed Iggy for GP many years later, he was a delightâso smart and really open to sharing his creative process.

DAVE BRYCE: There were certainly things I couldn't put down and never wanted to return to the manufacturers. Hahaha. The Collings 290 was one of them (I finally up and bought one), as was a fabulous Gretsch anniversary model. The Gibson Johnny A Signature model hung out in my office for months before Gibson finally came looking for it. There were some notable amps by Bad Cat, Mesa/Boogie, Orange, and others that I borrowed to gig with, and was bummed out when they asked for them back.

The goofiest product actually started a staff prank that never seemed to end. The product was Pik Stik. http://stickyourpick.com/picstik.html

It wasn't necessarily an awful product. It was simply an option for keeping your picks at hand. But the GP staff couldn't get over its giggles, and soon enough, the Pik Stik showed up affixed to car windows and license plates, office desks, and, well, just about everywhere. It became a "thing" to "Pik Stik" someone on the staff. Mean? Sure. Funny? Absolutely. Did the pranking go on far too long. Undoubtedly.