Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding your "voice"

Playing or recording music, after a while, if we're fortunate, we find our "voice", where when we play, we cannot help but play something infused with our personality. It sounds like us.

And so it is with photography or other forms of art also.

With photography, I typically photographed during trips, doing travel photography. This was exotic looking. I went to India, Peru, Ghana, Himalayas, Morocco, Ecuador, Chile, Burma, Thailand, and on and on. I loved doing travel photography, and still do.

But it wasn't until I got into night photography in which something really woke up in me, that I completely resonated with everything - the aesthetic, the process, the experience of being out in the desert at night exploring, the quiet, the deliberate nature of setting up the camera on a tripod and framing the photo in the dark, illuminating the subject with a flashlight while the camera's shutter remained open, the capturing of long passages of time with a single image...EVERYTHING. I thought, "Yes. This is ME. This is what I do." And I just...got it. And it was easy for me to infuse my personality into it.

Have you find this with your photography? What is your "voice"?

9277kenlee_2015-12-28_0139_28mintotal-2minf63iso200-4000k_40mm_borregosprings-rattledragon_star_trails-1000px.jpg

5347_kenlee_2017-02-12_2130_joshuatree_12mintotal-3mf8iso200_cloudtrails-1000px.jpg

7093_kenlee_2017-06-22_0051_owens-valley_manzanar-guard-tower_milkyway_20sf24iso4000-1000px.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully this is NOT a photography contest...

... that said, well, I was NEVER able to take a good picture with a "point and shoot" camera, and I had several different ones... zero.

It was until I got an iPhone 4 with its "HDR" capability of double exposition and that HUGE screen, that I was able to take decent pictures. At least, pictures I actually liked. And with built-in editing, I could enhance ((saturate)) the colors, so they looked "better" to my partially colorblinded eyes.

These pictures are from a trip to Colombia, Puerto Rico and Venezuela when I just got the iPhone 4, in 2010.

http://guslozada.com/totem.png

http://guslozada.com/ForumPics/gus03-new.jpg

http://guslozada.com/ForumPics/IMG_1938.JPG.jpg

http://guslozada.com/ForumPics/IMG_1857.JPG.jpg

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

It just so happens that I stumbled across this. This is sort of like when you consider purchasing another car, and then suddenly you see then everywhere. :D

How to Find Your Photographic Style - Petapixel article

Would you say that you have found your photographic "voice"?

YES

HDR. Saturated color. It's my visual AutoTune. But I finally started enjoying photography ever since.

* I am NOT buying a PRO camera like, never. I travel with so much audio stuff I can't afford to also carry a camera with accessories.

iPhone photographer. That's me.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

That is a hard one.

As far as genre's go, there isn't too much I don't shoot - except night photography. ;)

I do a lot of portrait work, but I love chasing sunsets and doing landscapes. I love taking photos of birds and other wildlife too. In the end, I don't have one voice in photography.

45672899282_dd5504e1e1_b.jpgJockey Hollow Drive by Mike Martin, on Flickr

25649246816_566f65792e_b.jpgGolden Gate Sunrise by Mike Martin, on Flickr

44501323472_588278cf1e_b.jpgGreat Horned Owl by Mike Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Cool!! That's what it's all about.

One of the things I love about photography is how much more appreciative it makes me feel about the world around me. I notice a lot more interesting, beautiful, and cool things around me than I ever did before.

I notice a lot more interesting, beautiful, and cool things around me than I ever did before.

Me too. One hazard Id this is Im always looking for hawks, owls and other large birds. Ive become a distracted driver as a result.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

That is a hard one.

As far as genre's go, there isn't too much I don't shoot - except night photography. ;)

I do a lot of portrait work, but I love chasing sunsets and doing landscapes. I love taking photos of birds and other wildlife too. In the end, I don't have one voice in photography.

When I think of a Mike Martin image, I think of a portrait (human or animal) or a landscape. Also, at least from my point of view, you have a very consistent editing style, it has a certain warmth to it.

For me, I found my voice a couple years ago. When I started out in 2012 after getting my first DSLR, I was shooting all sorts of things, but over the years I gradually became more and more drawn to photographing industrial buildings and ruins.

33922726874_6f40e6e356_b.jpg

Nemacolin #14 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

41164470500_95d0c1b85f_b.jpg

Weirton Steel #16H by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

29700350948_5df09a2f1c_b.jpg

Carrie Furnaces #21 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

One hazard Id this is Im always looking for hawks, owls and other large birds. Ive become a distracted driver as a result.

We're seeing more bald eagles here in SE Pennsylvania but I haven't had the opportunity of a decent photo yet.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• 4 weeks later...
That's the best thing to do when trying something out. I may do that at some point with macro lens.

• 2 weeks later...