Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New MPN home page!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No keys?

Couldn't find any. :idk::wall:

Nice, but there's no "Go to the forums" button once you scroll down. Another big fat one of these on the bottom of the page might help directing people to the action :thu:

Agreed...and done!

Thanks, guys - really glad you like it!!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

No keys?
They have 'em halfway down as of 10:27 PM EDT.

The picture looks suspiciously like the site of last summer's Mid-Atlantic Hang. Regardless of its origin, it would be nice to make that picture double as a link to KC.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

That pic was there before. I believe brother Jake was being a touch sarcastic because of the number of boards in the photo..

The picture looks suspiciously like the site of last summer's Mid-Atlantic Hang.

It's one of the corners of my studio. :)

Regardless of its origin, it would be nice to make that picture double as a link to KC.

Interesting idea. Not sure if it's possible though. I built that whole page on GoDaddy using their tool sets, and not every aspect is available.

That pic was there before. I believe brother Jake was being a touch sarcastic because of the number of boards in the photo..

The picture looks suspiciously like the site of last summer's Mid-Atlantic Hang.

It's one of the corners of my studio. :)

Regardless of its origin, it would be nice to make that picture double as a link to KC.

Interesting idea. Not sure if it's possible though. I built that whole page on GoDaddy using their tool sets, and not every aspect is available.

Actually Dave I was kind of surprised that (on my iPad) the opening pic is all guitars and vinyl ( and for some reason all the bass guitars are facing backwards....)

I was hoping for a Hammond of some sort to make me feel at home, but the studio pic is most acceptable.

Congratulations to yourself and all concerned for keeping the flame alive. Your efforts are most appreciated.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Before all constructive criticism disappears to the man with the flash light, the page is I would say half-cool.

Demi-god but medium self control. The music, the seemingly random guitars, the "staff" picture, it reminds me a bit of early collage techniques in art school for digital photography.

I'm used to viewing things on a rather neutrally set up Asus 278 screen, and I have to say: the colors are a bit off, and the constrast is sub-optimal, at least if you take it those flashy web site logos and pictures as a standard by which all other things are to be judged.

So maybe it's a good experiment, to try something new, so to speak!

TV

[Actually Dave I was kind of surprised that (on my iPad) the opening pic is all guitars and vinyl ( and for some reason all the bass guitars are facing backwards....)

I was hoping for a Hammond of some sort to make me feel at home, but the studio pic is most acceptable.

My apologies for the misread, my brother!

Actually, my current concept is to have a rotating slide show in the top slot. What I'm going for is a bunch of really cool images with our logo in it, even if some of them aren't directly music related - just nice images. You may have seen some of these I've been playing with that I've posted on FB. I've attached one of Ken Lee's pics that should illustrate.

As for the rest of the pics, I went with the selection I know are safe copyright-wise - ones either I've taken or someone I know has taken. I had a shot of a Hammond in that third slot, but I eventually went with the one with all the flashy lights instead.

One can experiment until the end of time; however, at one point, a decision must be made with the knowledge that it's simply not possible to please everyone. :idk:

dB

96.thumb.jpg.8b4d92cb6c5e3c470143ffeb2afca0d2.jpg

[Actually Dave I was kind of surprised that (on my iPad) the opening pic is all guitars and vinyl ( and for some reason all the bass guitars are facing backwards....)

My apologies for the misread, my brother!

Actually, my current concept is to have a rotating slide show in the top slot. What I'm going for is a bunch of really cool images with our logo in it, even if some of them aren't directly music related - just nice images. You may have seen some of these I've been playing with that I've posted on FB. I've attached one of Ken Lee's pics that should illustrate.

As for the rest of the pics, I went with the selection I know are safe copyright-wise - ones either I've taken or someone I know has taken. I had a shot of a Hammond in that third slot, but I eventually went with the one with all the flashy lights instead.

One can experiment until the end of time; however, at one point, a decision must be made with the knowledge that it's simply not possible to please everyone. :idk:

dB

Dave,

No apology ever needed from you. The rotating pic theme can send a musical message to folks who just happen to stop by, and who knows, they might even turn into regulars, or, like me, irregulars.... :facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Okay, I'll be the curmudgeon. It looks to me like nobody looked at these things on a small laptop, a tablet, or a phone. Because nothing on the home page as presented takes you to the forums (or lets you do anything other than Contact, really... Home and the triangle in the logo just re-load the same page you're already on, and that's the extent of what you can do). The user needs to scroll to get to the "go to the forums" button... but since the page can kinda looks "complete" just as it is (depending on your screen/browser/window size), it's not even immediately clear that it is a page you CAN scroll, much less NEED to. The hamburger menu on a phone similarly only gives you the Contact and draw-the-same-page Home options.

There are different things you could do, but I'd probably get rid of Home and Contact, and instead make those two choices Forums and About, where About scrolls you down to the next section down on the home page (i.e essentially the About section), which also addresses the issue that people may not even know there is content to be found further down. You could keep Contact there as a third option, or you could have a separate Contact link at the bottom of the page, which is what you have for the rest of the site anyway. As for the Home link, it seems to have no purpose unless you're on the Contact page, so maybe a separate navigation option on the Contact page itself would make more sense. A site-wide navigation bar with a Home option makes sense when you have lots of pages, maybe not so much when you only have two, one of which is the home page itself anyway.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That's not curmudgeonly, brother Scott - that's your opinion, which I wanted to hear or I wouldn't have asked. :idea::cool:

I did look at the page on iPhone and iPad, and I designed it on a laptop. In the process, I've had it reinforced that Firefox is better than Safari. I actually want an app, dammit. :D

There are some of your observations that I agree with and some I don't - no surprise there. There's also no doubt that I'm limited by my lack of skills in this arena combined with my (lack of) knowledge of the tools that GoDaddy gives you. Would also love to be to afford a pro web dsigner, but that's not in the cards for the moment.

Rew: Nav - there are some other pages we hope to add over time. Next one up is a PARTNERS page.

'

Config-wise, GoDaddy offers an okay variety of those. I didn't love any of them, but this one came closest to my...vision...? ;)

Luckily, no one really goes to the front page...but that may change soon, so I'm trying to begin dealing with it now. It may take a minute to get it dialed in, but we'll get there.

Thanks!

dB

Clicked on the link for the first time just now. Scrolls and formats just fine in Firefox on Android. I think its at the point where further changes would involve 90% sweat for 10% improvement.

Not sure you need an MPN app. Lots of effort to create an IOS, Android and Windows version to present users with a dumbed down website.

But if having exposure to 10 billion more musicians by being in the App Store, Google Play and Microsoft Store will drive more clicks to advertsiers here it might be worth it.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P