Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pelican cases?

Has anyone bought a Pelican rifle case and converted it for keyboards? I"m looking at this one which seems every bit as heavy-duty as the best SKB or Gator case which sell for $350-$400. This Pelican is $269. From the side photos it looks like it comes with full foam that you cut yourself.

pelican-1750-long-case-rifle-hardcase.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a discussion of alternative cases here. Wondering how it"s turned out for those of you who tried them.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I've posted here a few times before that the Pelican 1750 is the perfect case for all the 73-key Nords that I'm aware of (at least the Electro 2/3 and Stage 2 and 2EX Compact, but likely more). Put it in the official Nord gig bag, then inside this case. Perfect fit vertically and depth-wise. A little extra room side-to-side, which can be used for a sustain pedal and/or FC7, or put in a couple small pieces of foam to take up the space. This basic setup has safely seen my Nords through probably 100+ cycles of US domestic airline TSA and checked baggage handling.

I am usually asked if it's a firearm when approaching the bag check counter. Sometimes it's held at bag claim and a representative requests to see my ID to claim it, though it's clearly not locked or tagged as a firearm case.

I've posted here a few times before that the Pelican 1750 is the perfect case for all the 73-key Nords that I'm aware of (at least the Electro 2/3 and Stage 2 and 2EX Compact, but likely more). Put it in the official Nord gig bag, then inside this case. Perfect fit vertically and depth-wise. A little extra room side-to-side, which can be used for a sustain pedal and/or FC7, or put in a couple small pieces of foam to take up the space. This basic setup has safely seen my Nords through probably 100+ cycles of US domestic airline TSA and checked baggage handling.

I am usually asked if it's a firearm when approaching the bag check counter. Sometimes it's held at bag claim and a representative requests to see my ID to claim it, though it's clearly not locked or tagged as a firearm case.

Was it a full sheet of foam? How did you cut it? I"ve heard that freezing it first makes it easy to cut but my chest freezer isn"t that big. ;)

Ok, I"m not looking to put a gig bag inside of it. Just a keyboard, surrounded by foam.

Same M.O. as mynameisdanno. I've had my case since I had my first Electro, maybe 2004? I still have it, unused since I sold my NS2 two years ago. Could be tempted to sell but the ol' cross border thing could bite me.

Here for the gear.

The Harbor Freight Apache gun case is doing a good job for my AX-Edge keytar. They allowed me to bring the instrument in to test the fit before I bought it. It even has an extra handle and wheels if you want to drag it lengthwise. I've been happily using one for eight months. On the downside, the price has increased since I bought mine, but you can still get a 20% coupon pretty easily in a flyer or via e-mail.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

One of my customers who purchased a Casio Privia PX-S3000 informed me that he purchased a Pelican case and it fit perfectly! It was the Pelican Storm Case iM3410.

He purchased it because there was no other hard case that would fit the PX-S3000 (described by Casio as the slimmest 88-key hammer-action keyboard in the world), and it was relatively light.

His main intention was to have a flight case for the PX-S3000. The PX-S3000 fits perfectly, but the AC adapter, pedals, cords, and any other accessories will need to be carried separately.

For anyone interested:

Pelican Storm Case iM3410

BTW: He stated he had to cut the foam to make a perfect fit.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

I have this one ( V800 Vault ) on the way, seems like it would be perfect for a Stage 3 88; found it on sale for less than $200 with shipping and tax.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

I have this one ( V800 Vault ) on the way, seems like it would be perfect for a Stage 3 88; found it on sale for less than $200 with shipping and tax.
Although I am quit happy with my Harbor Freight case, that's a fantastic price for a real Pelican. Like Mr. Bryce, I have never met a Pelican case I didn't love.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I bought the APACHE 9800 case at Harbor Freight for $109.00 using THIS COUPON on my phone. I have no reason to believe it wouldn"t work for any of you.

Heavy duty case, for sure, and a little heavier perhaps than it"s $350+ alternatives from SKB, and around the same weight (23lbs) as the wooden case I"ve used for the past 20 years(!). I like that it also has a handle on the wheels end - easier to pull it out of my backseat when I need to (it sits backward in order to open the lid against the back of my front seats). I bought this for my QS7.1 that I use for a controller and there"s plenty of space for it. Unfortunately, when fitted into the pick and pull foam insert there"s only about 2 rows of that foam left, so it"s not substantial enough to stay put, wanting to come out along with the keyboard. So I"ll just pack that away in case I need it in the future.

Another problem is I can"t use the thick foam on the bottom along with the egg crate foam that lines the lid - the lid won"t close. I can"t even use the thick foam with no egg crate foam in the lid. So I took out the thick foam and put the thinner foam on the bottom. Still plenty of protection, and I"ll look for some other thin foam for the lid. No biggie for me - I usually just take the keyboard out and leave the case in the car. I mainly bought it because my wooden one is finally falling apart and is larger than I need, and also to keep all moisture out; it has a thick gasket. I have a few regular gigs where I need to use the case, so I"m glad I"ll have this to sit on the bottom of my Rock N Roller cart. I have no worries about putting my Spacestation and rack on top of it.

(Oh, another thing: the pick and pull insert foam is not exactly straight. I followed the cut line and it was one division thicker on one end than the other.)

For $109.00 it"s a no-brainer.

http://a67.tinypic.com/2qtaf87.jpg

I bought the APACHE 9800 case at Harbor Freight for $109.00 using THIS COUPON on my phone. I have no reason to believe it wouldn"t work for any of you.

. . .

For $109.00 it"s a no-brainer.

Agreed, as long as the keyboard's dimensions work with the 9800's interior dimensions (50-3/8 in. x 13-5/8 in. x 5-1/8 in). That knocks out a bunch of 88's.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

I use one for my Hammond SK-1 73. Fits perfectly.....although don"t remember which model number it was.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Ive got Pelican (owned by SKB by the way) gun cases for my NordStage 3 Compact, my SKi 73, my FA 07, and my Yamaha CP73. I also use smaller Pelican cases for my pedalboards, and my Nord A1. Great stuff. And cheaper than instrument cases.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I use nothing but MilSpec Cases.

Even my HX-3 gets a Magnum case.

Just make sure you get the models that have the shaped foam.

Cutting it yourself is sloppy, just a couple more bucks for the square cut foam.

When I load in and there"s people around I make sure to grab the Standtastic Keyboard stand case and HX-3 first.

Looks like a 50 cal. and a large pistol.

Then the 88 Controller Plano Case.

119 bucks new.

Folks start thinking your carry weapons so it"s safe to assume you have a carry and conceal.

By the time you grab the cabinets and racks they realize it"s gear.

Keeps them from looking in your ride while you huff the gear.

Try Plano which are the same material and much cheaper than the awesome Pelican Cases.

Use to get the Deep racks used after return from Overseas deployments.

Hardigg Cases are even better build quality than Pelican Cases but heavy ATA.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Another bummer: the Apache doesn"t fit across the bottom of my Rock 'n Roller R8 cart. Just misses. The small plastic on either side of the two end handles are the culprits. Glad it has wheels. I don"t want to go back to my gigantic, over-the-top Magliner Gemini Hand Truck.

I wanted to be able to lay a Kurzweil PC3X (88 key) in case down flat on my R&R cart - got a local welder to extend the size of it by about 18". Of course, it doesn't fold up as small, but it definitely works better for my purposes. Was not all that expensive, the bottom rails are made from standard size stock.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I wanted to be able to lay a Kurzweil PC3X (88 key) in case down flat on my R&R cart - got a local welder to extend the size of it by about 18". Of course, it doesn't fold up as small, but it definitely works better for my purposes. Was not all that expensive, the bottom rails are made from standard size stock.

Thanks for the tip. I"ll look into that. What should I be looking at paying? I"m not up on welding rates. Did he just splice railing into the existing? I don"t see how to separate the two sections.

I also think I"m going to spray paint my case silver. Just spending 15 minutes under the Florida sun made that black plastic very hot.

The welder was a guy from my church, and only charged me $25, but I have a feeling that was a very low price. There are three 1x1 steel square tubes that slide into the slightly larger tubes, and are stopped from expanding more or coming apart completely by something inside. He cut the three smaller tubes at the same point, then welded in about 18" of the same type of tubing and ground off the edges of the bead so that things still slide freely (locked on position by the original method. Painted black like the rest of the stand, although regular paint instead of the original powdered coating. It has been that way for about 10 years, still looks as good and works as good as when it was done.

I typically lay whichever size keyboard I'm carrying down flat and horizontal, adjusting the length of the cart so that there is a snug fit. Then put the smaller stuff (even sometimes a second keyboard in hard case) on top and bungee it together. The powered speakers are bungeed to the two vertical handles of the cart.

Only thing - I wish I'd spent the extra and gotten the cart with all big wheels - would travel over dirt, grass, and other uneven surfaces better. I don't use it as much the past 4 years or so since I traded the van for a Volt and my wife gave her GMC pickup to one of her sons. Now typically carry a MIDI controller, iPad, K&M 18880 stand, and a powered speaker unless I need more gear. Sometimes not even the speaker if there is backline available.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks. I"m going to take mine to a metal fabricator on Monday.

• 1 month later...
The welder was a guy from my church, and only charged me $25, but I have a feeling that was a very low price. There are three 1x1 steel square tubes that slide into the slightly larger tubes, and are stopped from expanding more or coming apart completely by something inside. He cut the three smaller tubes at the same point, then welded in about 18" of the same type of tubing and ground off the edges of the bead so that things still slide freely (locked on position by the original method. Painted black like the rest of the stand, although regular paint instead of the original powdered coating. It has been that way for about 10 years, still looks as good and works as good as when it was done. .

I"m having mine done right now. I pick it up tomorrow. $60.00. A little more than I wanted, but oh well. I"m having mine extended 12'. I figure that"ll cover any keyboard case.

For the past few days I"ve had to use my old beast Gemini Magliner instead. Over 50 lbs, but compared to that Rock n Roller cart it"s like going from a Chevy Cruze to a Cadillac, ride-wise.

Thank you, MoodyBluesKeys, for the idea. They even painted it for me so you can"t even tell it"s been altered unless you feel for it. Rock n Roller should really just be doing this from the jump. As sold it won"t accommodate any 88 key cases and most 76 key cases.

• 8 months later...