Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songwriting and Composition forum

A bunch of the other MPN forums (yes, Virginia, there are other MPN forums) have either been dead or on life support for a long time. :puff:

One of those that I think would be really valuable to many of us is the Songwriting and Composition forum. They are both passions of mine. One of these days I actually hope to get good at one or the other...

True to his forum name, Dave "Nursers" Holloway has kept that forum on life support for a while, but we felt that it would be beneficial to get him some high-powered help lighting the place up. For that task, MPN turns to one of our most talented musicians: brother Linwood Bell. Any of you who have ever heard his music know exactly why...and any of you who haven't heard his music can do so here. :)

If you share a passion for this sort of stuff, please do stop by the forum and help us redecorate a bit. :cool::wave:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such great news, can't wait to see where that forum goes. Linwood, some of your music remains in my iTunes library to this day from the old KC compilation days :thu:

One of these days I actually hope to get good at one or the other...

I do as well. I've had moments when I wrote but I'm inconsistent. I have been keeping tabs on this forum for a while though. It would be good to see it get going. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah. Younger users can learn really weird stuff, like actual verses, with different note/lyric density than the chorus. Or, heaven forbid, a bridge, which is not only something you drive over. Get off my lawn.

Seriously, this forum, with Nursers and Linwood leading the way, sounds like a great resource to enhance.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Yeah. Younger users can learn really weird stuff, like actual verses, with different note/lyric density than the chorus. Or, heaven forbid, a bridge

Or... a KEY CHANGE

and an Intro. Even a change in tempo or rhythm pattern

I think this was common in 70/80's material [ some 90's] but variation has been washed away.

Always exceptions to this. Jazz recording artists have no problem with variation.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Hey hey, before y'all get all "dang whippersnappers," I'd like to point out that I can point to dozens of brilliant, heartfelt, boundary-pushing songwriters, from famous to unknown, that are under 30.

Conversely, I know some really awful songwriters who are retirement age.

If your beef is with what's on the radio, I'll remind everyone, once again, that what a bunch of suits put into rotation on top 40 radio is not representative of the art form, and has much more to do with the state of the industry at a corporate level than it does with the number of talented, intelligent, hardworking musicians and composers releasing new songs.

This has been your Millennial rant for the day.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Hey hey, before y'all get all "dang whippersnappers," I'd like to point out that I can point to dozens of brilliant, heartfelt, boundary-pushing songwriters, from famous to unknown, that are under 30.

y.

Hi Sam, we tend to speak in general terms based on our decades of experience.

There is never ' 1 size fits all'. Lots of talented variation.

we are going to have our prefs. Music is a huge sky scape.

Feel free to share your top 3 under 30. Several have been mentioned and talked about

on KC.

[70's Songwriter]

we are going to have our prefs. Music is a huge sky scape.

Yes, of course, but I think some of the generalizations that were made here -- that young songwriters don't know how to write a bridge or an intro, or how to delineate their verses from their choruses -- are a little over the top. That was what got under my skin. We went from "ooh a resource for talking about songwriting" to "yeah, we're gonna need that for all the younger people!" Remember, y'all, some of us walk among you. And majored in English, and enjoy modulations and time signature changes. And we're not even jazz musicians, primarily! :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Oh I know folks under 30 who can compose songs. They're just fewer and farther between.

Plenty of older composers whose well has run dry and they lost it. Works both ways.

Haven't listen to radio since 2005 because control of too many stations is in the hands of too few corporations. I don't accept that as a representation of the art form. There is a LOT of good music that is on outlets other than radio, and I get my new song recommendations from friends who share the same frustrations.

I smell old people.

Music changes (thank goodness) and that"s Ok. Each generation"s music is someone else"s sign of the decline of Western Civilization. IMO this is one of the most sonically adventurous and creative periods in modern memory. Songs don"t have bridges because that"s not the prevailing aesthetic anymore, just as the long, languorous, 'set-up' intro of the first part of the last century was dead by the time most of us were born.

Pop music has always been a big pile of crap populated by a few stubborn nuggets of gold. And so it is now, and will ever be, forever and ever amen.

The new forum sounds fantastic and I will be a denizen there.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

^^^^

I actually set up a Facebook page a while back called 'New Music for Old Cynics' where I share good recent music. Some of it is from young artists, and some from older artists still putting out good stuff. If you're on FB click here..

I don't update it super regularly but hopefully people like some of the suggestions :thu:

I smell old people.

yes, we are all over. We are wrinkly , a little over weight, and grouchy.

The print gets smaller and the doctor visits more frequent.

I think we will be around for +20 years. Enjoy the experience :D

[70's Songwriter]

I remember similar remarks from the older generation about rock 'n' roll back in the day. Steve Allen had a bit in which he mocked lyrics by The Beatles, for example.

In my experience, each generation discards something good about the way things were and adds something good of their own. Why should it be any different now?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon