Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

Also for the clean tone vintage Fender Rhodes, I assign the knobs to Chorus/Reverb. Then I reduce the Reverb to almost none and save it as a Registration.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I posted this in a separate thread dealing with my comparisons of mostly Yamaha DPs, but I thought it would be relevant here as it documents my first experience with the new Casio PXS (specifically, the PXS1000):

So, I had some time between gigs today and went down to the Sams on 34th St to try out a couple of DPs to get a better sense of comparing portable models that have been on my radar for a long time.

I wanted to narrow the field between various yamahas (P125, P145, CP88 and just for sh*ts and giggles, I took a turn on the Montage 8), the newest Casio PXS-1000 and the Kawai ES110.

So, I will state two thing up front:

1) I am impressed (with caveats) with what Casio has done with the new PXS series and they deserve many kudos.....but, more to follow

2) I was blown away by what Yamaha gives the pianist in the P125 at that price point! Damn!

First, the Casio:

Its THE BEST SOUNDING PIANO SAMPLE CASIO HAS EVER DONE! BRAVO!!

I was truly shocked (after having owned a PX5s for a short time) at how far Casio has come. (First off, I played the first GP sound ONLY on all instruments except the CP88 and Montage.) This was full and rich, and a joy to hear and play.

The design and aesthetic is head and shoulders above anything Casio has done up to this point and I only have high hopes for where they will go in the future!

Really, really GREAT work, guys!

Now the not-so-good stuff:

1) the key fulcrum.....

This (imo) knocks this instrument out of consideration for me! Yes, my technique is good enough that I COULD work around it, but, why would I WANT to when there are two other instruments (P125, ES110) at almost the same price point where I wouldn't have this in the back of my mind. I had toyed with getting this as a busking instrument in the subways, but, nah......

Its a very Apple-ish design decision that trades aesthetic for functionality. (And I am a die-hard Apple user.) That extra slimness DOES have a wow factor, but its just not good in the long run..... I KNOW I might be in the minority, but thats ok....and I know Casio will sell boatloads of both models.

2)The disappearing front panel.....

It looks awesome, but, nah, I dont dig it, nor is it practical for my purposes. Again, very slick, futuristic and snazzy, but not for me.

Now the P125:

I was absolutely BOWLED OVER by the quality of sound and action Yamaha offers at this price point!!

And, what an amazing playing experience..... I could definitely use just this for a restaurant gig, solo or with a bass player.

Or as a travel or practice instrument!

Great sound from the onboard speakers, and Yamaha has some kind of optimization technology in the headphone output where it sounds like you are playing in a big room and the piano is perfectly graded! Wow!

Especially after coming from the Casio, I felt what it means to play a completely optimized action! And the sound! I still like Yamahas the best out of all DPs and they don't disappoint here!

I even liked this better, feel and sound wise than the P155! Which I NEVER expected! (Sorry, DF!)

And at 26 lbs, its super portable! Only 2 lbs more than the Casios! And the all plastic construction seemed surprisingly durable!

The ES110 was excellent, but I had the misfortune of playing it after the P125, so, I dont have much to say except, its excellent!

The CP88 was just a joy to play also. Those who criticize it for not having a million sounds or falling short of it being an all-in-one like Nord really miss the point! Its a stage PIANO!!! The sub section is SUBSERVIENT (as Blake Angelos says.

You don't need 15 pianos or electric Pianos if you have 3 or 4 good ones and you know how to use an EQ!

I think Yamaha have done a great job here, and its the right instrument FOR ME, so I will get one!

Lastly, the Montage:

If I needed something that would just stay at home (with rare exceptions) and would be a production centerpiece, Id get one.

I enjoyed playing it, I like the Pianos, EPs (especially the Chick Mark Vs), the synths and I like the interface. But Id never move it unless I got a second person to help or had a road crew.....

Last edited by jimkost2002; 06/26/19 09:15 PM

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Nice review Jim! Your experience comparing the PX-S1000 and P-125 closely matches mine at the GC in Commack.

The only difference is that I thought the P-125 had about the same fulcrum issue as did the PX-S1000. I went back and forth between the two but they were in different rooms so it was a less than optimal comparison. I was expecting to like the P-125 more and then buy a P-121 (which has the same action) but ultimately favored the PX-S1000 because I felt a slightly better connection with it. I ended up buying a PX-S3000 (same action as PX-S1000) which I'm very happy with. Also for me, Casio has the edge as a midi controller, which I understand may not be your need. My experience using the CP4 as a midi controller has been frustrating (i.e., for me, the Yamaha architecture and user interface is very non-intuitive). I should add that I'm keeping my CP4 which I'm able to play with out any fulcrum related distractions.

Interesting perspective, Al!

I A/Bd the casio and p125 in regards to the key fulcrum two different ways:

First, I just played a couple of white keys in different registers from front to back of the key, and there was a point on the casio at the last 1/3 inch that had no travel. Then I found the exact point where the travel stopped. After that, I played various passagesscales, arpeggios, chords, patterns as well as pieces from classical rep that required negotiation towards the fall board on the casio and yamahas.

I could execute these on both instruments, but I found that my mid brain kept saying ok, get ready for this on the Casio and I had no such encumbrance on the Yamaha!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Hi All - great info on this thread. I've been through all 30 pages and I didn't see this specific question asked, so my apologies if I missed it.

I am looking at using the S3000 as a backup to my Nord Stage 3, either stand-alone or with Mainstage. However, there may be an occasion where I would want to MIDI the two boards together.

I saw the posts regarding external, powered boxes that convert the 5-pin DIN to USB, but wanted to know if anyone tried using a USB-B male to USB-B male cable like this one:

USB-B Male to USB-B Male Cable

For those of you that understand how USB/MIDI works on these two boards, is trying this cable: a) worth a shot, b) likely a waste of time, or c) potentially damaging to one or both boards? Thanks.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Waste of time at best. You need to use one of the external powered boxes (or connect both boards to a common host, e.g. your computer running Mainstage).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks AnotherScott, I appreciate the quick reply! I thought I was GAS-proof for awhile, but this thread was dangerous. Had a PX330 and sold it because I didn't like the short decay time of the pianos. The S3000 with battery power and built-in speakers is difficult to resist, especially if I sell my Juno-DS61 (I've realized that I need more than 61 keys for a backup board).

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I'm late to this party, and not ready to read 36 pages.

Played the 3000 today at Summer NAMM, and I guess I am only confirming what must already be in the previous pages. Compared to my PX5S, the action is dramatically better, and the (for lack of a better word) playability is dramatically improved as well. I especially though the upper end sounded and responded much better, apparently from improvements to the curves. I also dug how you can hook it up to your iPhone or iPad for editing.

Compact, lightweight and under 800 bucks. Impressive.

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/news/2019/0719_px-s1000rd/

Wow they listened to me (?). I sent this as a request to Mike Martin to be passed along. I also messaged them on instagram requesting this. I'm guessing there are other people who requested this as well.

Looks stunning.

But how will I do wedding ceremonies?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/news/2019/0719_px-s1000rd/

Wow they listened to me (?). I sent this as a request to Mike Martin to be passed along. I also messaged them on instagram requesting this. I'm guessing there are other people who requested this as well.

Looks stunning.

But how will I do wedding ceremonies?

:lolol:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hi All - great info on this thread. I've been through all 30 pages and I didn't see this specific question asked, so my apologies if I missed it.

I am looking at using the S3000 as a backup to my Nord Stage 3, either stand-alone or with Mainstage. However, there may be an occasion where I would want to MIDI the two boards together.

I saw the posts regarding external, powered boxes that convert the 5-pin DIN to USB, but wanted to know if anyone tried using a USB-B male to USB-B male cable like this one:

For those of you that understand how USB/MIDI works on these two boards, is trying this cable: a) worth a shot, b) likely a waste of time, or c) potentially damaging to one or both boards? Thanks.

Try this https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Try this https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Thanks for the link @miden. That unit seems to get good reviews.

I found this device to work with the wireless USB MIDI dongle for my Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, and would give it a try if I pick up the S3000: midiplus USB Host

So it may be covered somewhere in these 37 pages, but........

I'm thrilled to have figured out how to fix the initial weirdness with all of the expression pedals I tried, and thx to Mike for putting a calibration feature in the menu. What I can't find is a way to switch the internal speakers off. Apparently I can stick a mini-plug in the headphone jack. Does it have to be an actual pair of headphones, or a specifically wired dummy jack (with say a resistor across the posts), or can I just stick any old 1/8th inch plug in there?

Thx as always.

Steve

I love this action BTW! Played Ravenscroft and Hammersmith with it all afternoon :cool:

When I DL the APP and hook my iPhone in, any chance I'll find something like a "Category Search" for the 500 "OTHER" sounds?

I love this action BTW! Played Ravenscroft and Hammersmith with it all afternoon :cool:

When I DL the APP and hook my iPhone in, any chance I'll find something like a "Category Search" for the 500 "OTHER" sounds?

Yes.

Also from the front panel, pressing any category button again will jump you to the next section.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Any suggestions for getting my iPad to see the PX when I plug it in?

That is odd. It is class compliant. Never see it not just work with any Privia for the last 5+ except when a "Camera connection kit" was faulty.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

That is odd. It is class compliant. Never see it not just work with any Privia for the last 5+ except when a "Camera connection kit" was faulty.

I hooked it up via USB. Should I be using the DIN plug midi ports instead?

Moe

---

I hooked it up via USB. Should I be using the DIN plug midi ports instead?

What product are we talking about because the PX-S series doesn't have DIN MIDI ports? You are using an Apple Camera connection kit?

-Mike Martin

Casio

• 3 weeks later...

Casio advertised that the S3000 knobs were programmable and I guess they are sort of are - NOT. 14 pre-set configurations they we have to fit into our programming. Someone please explain these to me if you could. For example, I wanted to change the blending of a layered sound, which is in the config but who decided the second knob should be fine tuning. What the heck would I use this combo? I think the contributors here could of come up with 14 much better configs that we can actually use. Before I bought the keyboard I was thinking using the knobs for (1) control volume of two layers and set (2) to alter a Stereo Pan for electric piano.

Don't get me wrong for the price and its many positives I'm really enjoying this keyboard.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: If I mess around with the knobs pre-sets while setting up a patch is there anyway to abort and start again without turning off board. Having that fail safe would really allow for exploration while programming. I understand a piano at this price point can't be everything to everyone but my opinions seem to me to be logical programming ideals.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Casio advertised that the S3000 knobs were programmable and I guess they are sort of are - NOT. 14 pre-set configurations they we have to fit into our programming.

Casio's main webpage about the S3000 and several reviewers stated that the knobs are ASSIGNABLE. That's not the same as programmable. It does suck though.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

• 3 weeks later...