Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboards wish list

Well, Xmas is coming closer (ehm, almost), so i am thinking about my next presents; the problem, i want a number of things that are not yet on the market.

So, as a suggestion to the various producer companies, a few wishes: i suppose you can add yours, and we can send them around :->.

Disclamier: i have no idea if an actual market exists for these things; so, please, do a good market analysis before taking me seriously :->.

1) From all the keyboard producers: please, give me a keyboard with an USB-C connector and a small USB hub, that include power supply on USB-C; there are 400$ screen that have it; it would

allows a dramatic reduction in cables and setup in small gigs. The keyboards already works as audio/midi interface; a small step would trasform them in a complete dock, needed just one cable from the keyboard to the computer

to set everything up.

2) Well, i finally tried the Crumar Seven, and i definitively falled in love, just playing the first, effect less, rhodes sound. But i am an urban gigger, and bring my piano (NE5HP) on my back, in the parisian metro.

While the Seven is relatively light, is not light enough for that; so, my wish is for a Seven Light, with a form factor similar to a NE*HP.

3) Remember the Nord Modular ? Well, i want a keyboard that can run a Reaktor instrument without a computer. Not a trivial thing to do, but not impossible, considering the fact that Reaktor exists, have large libraries, and that it does not include the ability to add modules in a different programming language (NI control very well the runtime environment).

4) Finally, for those that gain the lottery: i want a Waldorf Quantum with a Roli Rise keybed; giving the kind of sounds and power of the synth, it seems to me that it make sense.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Yamaha made a board or sound module with their CFX piano and GOOD Hammond and Leslie sim. They have tons of sampling and modeling experience, but never even came close to encorporating a usable Hammond. That would be a board all my money would go to in an instant.

I had high hopes for the Modx, but alas, the organs are meh.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

please, give me a keyboard with an USB-C connector and a small USB hub...The keyboards already works as audio/midi interface; a small step would trasform them in a complete dock, needed just one cable from the keyboard to the computer to set everything up.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. What cables are eliminated by adding USB-C to a keyboard?

i finally tried the Crumar Seven, and i definitively falled in love, just playing the first, effect less, rhodes sound. But i am an urban gigger, and bring my piano (NE5HP) on my back, in the parisian metro.

While the Seven is relatively light, is not light enough for that; so, my wish is for a Seven Light, with a form factor similar to a NE*HP.

You could put a Gemini module on your NE*HP, I believe that will give you all the Seven sounds, playable from your Nord.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You could put a Gemini module on your NE*HP, I believe that will give you all the Seven sounds, playable from your Nord.

I got to try the Gemini module last summer at Gearfest. Teriffic sounding unit and wouldn't add much to your commute. This indeed could be your solution.

:nopity:

Without going through the whole saga, but short versioning it to 2 warranty returns before giving up, I bought a Gemini in a DMC122 as a second rig to my SW Nord Electro 5d. I did have a couple of months of playing with it before it went back for the last time. I know it contrasts what many people here say, but I found it difficult to connect with the modelled Rhodes in the Gemini. I prefer the sound and feel of (some of) the sampled Rhodes in my Nord. I liked the Gemini's Wurly better than what I can get out of the Nord, and I'd be interested to see if playing those EPs on the Seven is a different experience.

I bought a Gemini in a DMC122 as a second rig to my SW Nord Electro 5d. I did have a couple of months of playing with it before it went back for the last time. I know it contrasts what many people here say, but I found it difficult to connect with the modelled Rhodes in the Gemini. I prefer the sound and feel of (some of) the sampled Rhodes in my Nord. I liked the Gemini's Wurly better than what I can get out of the Nord, and I'd be interested to see if playing those EPs on the Seven is a different experience.

The Gemini sounds would certainly feel different to play in the hammer action of a Crumar Seven or the OP's NE5HP than they would on the non-hammer DMC122 or NE5D. But it is noteworthy that you found the Nord's Rhodes more satisfying than the Gemini's when played from your Nord... maybe Nord has optimized its key response for its samples (or vice versa), a benefit you lose with 3rd party sounds, and most notable when selecting sounds that don't "automatically" tend to play well from that kind of action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Without going through the whole saga, but short versioning it to 2 warranty returns before giving up, I bought a Gemini in a DMC122 as a second rig to my SW Nord Electro 5d. I did have a couple of months of playing with it before it went back for the last time. I know it contrasts what many people here say, but I found it difficult to connect with the modelled Rhodes in the Gemini. I prefer the sound and feel of (some of) the sampled Rhodes in my Nord. I liked the Gemini's Wurly better than what I can get out of the Nord, and I'd be interested to see if playing those EPs on the Seven is a different experience.

Just the opposite for me. I found the Rhodes on the Gemini reacts more like a real rhodes than the Electro 5. When playing rhodes on the E5 the slightest velocity difference would bring in the "bell" tone; I had trouble controlling it. When I owned a real rhodes I found it difficult to even get the bell to ring without really pounding the keys on the attack; you can get their very easy with the E5. I found the Gemini's to be more like a real rhodes, i.e. you need to strike with lots of velocity to get the bellish tone.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

But it is noteworthy that you found the Nord's Rhodes more satisfying than the Gemini's when played from your Nord... maybe Nord has optimized its key response for its samples (or vice versa), a benefit you lose with 3rd party sounds, and most notable when selecting sounds that don't "automatically" tend to play well from that kind of action.

My comparison is between Nord EPs on Nord SW action, and Gemini EPs on DMC122 SW action. I actually preferred the weight of the DMC action to the E5d for EPs - if the Nord is semi weighted, I'd call the DMC two thirds weighted. My main concerns were with the sound, I was never convinced by the modelling. But I'm happy the Gemini has developed a solid user base - I think it's a great product, and I was disappointed it didn't work out for me. The only reason I piped in was to make the observation that the Gemini might not be the magic bullet that an Electro 5 user is expecting.

I'm pretty close to going for a Yamaha Modx, as it crosses off a LOT of wish list items.

That said, I wish it had additional outputs, aftertouch and a decent organ. I have an Electro and rarely do one-keyboard gigs so the organ isn't a real need. The lack of internal power supply has been the biggest pill to swallow, I really hate, hate hate having to use a wall wart. I love having all my gear (including any mixers etc) all being able to use standard power cables.

A small mixer that had two (or stereo) pre-fader monitor sends would be nice, that would enable me to go to FOH and my in-ears in stereo. Unfortunately our mixer only has four monitor outs so getting back a stereo feed isn't possible, so I'd have to do it myself with a submixer.

I've always wondered why Yamaha, Korg, etc. spend so much time on the bread an butter sounds (AP, EP, Clav, Strings) and a lot of sounds that will probably never be used, and then fail so miserably with the Hammond sound. There are a lot of players out there that would love to have one board that will give them a passable organ, without needing to spend $3500+.

How hard can it be? I took my old Korg N364 and created a couple Hammond sounds that were very usable.

Leave out the cheesy percussion, and just go for the 88 80000 00. You'll increase sales right away.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I'm pretty close to going for a Yamaha Modx, as it crosses off a LOT of wish list items.

That said, I wish it had additional outputs, aftertouch and a decent organ.

I think you just described the Kurzweil PC4.

I wish Yamaha made a board or sound module with their CFX piano and GOOD Hammond and Leslie sim. They have tons of sampling and modeling experience, but never even came close to encorporating a usable Hammond. That would be a board all my money would go to in an instant.

They actually nailed a decent Hammond/Leslie sound in the reface YC. Their reface CP has a mod that gets a nice AP sound. Grab 'em both and MIDI them up to your master board and there ya go.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I wish I had less keyboards.

You win the grand prize for being the first person on here to ever say that. Heresy!:chainsaw:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I wish I had less keyboards.

You win the grand prize for being the first person on here to ever say that. Heresy!:chainsaw:

Well, now that I've moved to a place with a smaller office, I have to make some difficult decisions... :cry: hence the above statement.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I love my Arturia Keystep midi controller, I use it for iOS control, or with a Digitone and SE-02, but would like something with full size keys and four octaves. Please Arturia, give us the KEYSTEP PRO. It would sell like hot cakes!
Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

please, give me a keyboard with an USB-C connector and a small USB hub...The keyboards already works as audio/midi interface; a small step would trasform them in a complete dock, needed just one cable from the keyboard to the computer to set everything up.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. What cables are eliminated by adding USB-C to a keyboard?

I'll make you an exemple: using USB-C power delivery USB-C displays with USB-C connection are able to charge your laptop (usually up to 60W, sometimes more), and provide between two and four USB-3 connectors, to use with keyboard/mouse and other stuff.

Imagine a Yamaha MODX 8 with USB-C/PD and a couple of USB-A connected to the laptop: you do not need the power supply for the laptop (ok, you can trust the battery, but you know ...), and if you have additional

accessories (like a second controller keyboard, or a Novation LaunchPad or some knob box) you can connect them directly to the keyboard; smaller cables, simple setup.

Display manifacturer put this kind of add-on on 400/500$ products; while the economy is not at all the same, i imagine it should be possible within a reasonable cost.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

A USB-C port can simultaneously charge your attached laptop, transmit midi and receive an audio stream. So a keyboard with a USB-C connector and built-in audio interface could eliminate the need for an additional audio interface. Right now I get close relying on USB 2 to power both an audio interface and controller connected to a laptop, but it is still a 3 cable, ( power to laptop plus 2 x USB 2), 3 component solution.

A keyboard or controller with USB 3.1 on a USB-C connector reduces that to one USB-C cable, one power cord, controller and laptop.

For me not having to carry one light weight small box and one USB cable is not a big deal but maybe others see it as a big step forward. And lets not discount the time saving of USB-C compared to a USB 2 or 3 connector in not having to flip each end around 3 times before plugging it in the right way up.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

What cables are eliminated by adding USB-C to a keyboard?
Imagine a Yamaha MODX 8 with USB-C/PD and a couple of USB-A connected to the laptop: you do not need the power supply for the laptop (ok, you can trust the battery, but you know ...)

I get close relying on USB 2 to power both an audio interface and controller connected to a laptop, but it is still a 3 cable, ( power to laptop plus 2 x USB 2)...A keyboard or controller with USB 3.1 on a USB-C connector reduces that to one USB-C cable, one power cord

Okay, in both of those cases, I see you do save one cable (if you do not want to rely on the laptop's battery power), the one that plugs your laptop into AC.

I have always assumed that Yamaha believes the mighty Electone is better than the Hammond sound, and sooner or later, everyone will come to their senses and abandon drawbars for those nostalgic red, yellow and white levers & rocker switches.

Here for the gear.

That said, I wish it had additional outputs, aftertouch and a decent organ.

I think you just described the Kurzweil PC4.

Ironically, the modx will replace my pc361 for live use; it will "retire" to home studio use. The key action is great on it. However, the screen is starting to go out, it has refused to boot at a gig, and once in a while it has gone out of tune (I had to doublecheck it wasn't me hitting a controller, but it does it on every patch when it happens). Based on these experiences, not going to consider the pc4. Also, I want the light weight of the modx7, this plus my electro will be a real easy rig to move around.

There's also the "want to try something different" factor. I've done 300+ gigs with the Kurzweil, getting something new might kick-start some creativity!

I have always assumed that Yamaha believes the mighty Electone is better than the Hammond sound, and sooner or later, everyone will come to their senses and abandon drawbars for those nostalgic red, yellow and white levers & rocker switches.

That's probably true... in Japan. I once played a C55 I think. Horrible thing...

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

Maybe its a point of pride for Yamaha, AFAIK an organ was their first product +100 years ago.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Maybe its a point of pride for Yamaha, AFAIK an organ was their first product +100 years ago.

1887... the reed organ:

pho_002.jpg

But I wouldn't reed too much into it. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Well, to be fair, the Electone line did include the GX-1, and technically the CS-80 as well, so they weren't ALL crappy.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

My wishlist changes over the years. For a while, I wished for polyphonic aftertouch on more keyboards... then things got so bad that I wished for more keyboards that had ANY kind of aftertouch... and now things have turned around (mostly - see below), so I am on to wishing for other things...

I wish that more devices had USB-A Host ports so you can plug in a USB controller directly to them. These days it should be a no-brainer on every synth that costs more than $199... and actually, on modules at ANY price, since 5-pin MIDI makes hardware bigger and bulkier. This is especially true on portable interfaces for music making: the Korg plugKEY has a 5-pin MIDI In, which means you can't play an iPad from any of Korg's own wired USB controllers. To quote Rhodey: "I'm sorry, what?"

In fact, I would like to see more USB-centric studio design in general. So many cables can be eliminated, and so much networking can be done without UARTs and cheapass converters and and and.

I wish more companies were less draconian about drawing the line through projected feature lists and saying, "Everything below this line has to be left out." You can't please everyone, but there are SO many keyboards out there that are upsetting almost-rights... Korg and Yamaha are big offenders, putting out synths aimed at pros with no aftertouch. Hell, the minilogue xd can't even understand aftertouch over MIDI! What the actual EFF?

If I want to go completely pie in the sky, I would wish for a keytar that's actually designed to be useful and playable and expressive rather than a glitzy half-useless joke. There are valid practical reasons for them that have nothing to do with dancing around like an idiot, and I shouldn't have to pay upwards of $400 on Reverb for a 30-year-old design because anything newer SUCKS. Seriously, people, this isn't nuclear physics! (And I should know.)

No stupid angled bottoms so you can't put the damn thing down without it falling over. Ditto for ports on that edge of the case. Actual forethought ergonomic left-hand controls that are set up so they can be used by normal humans rather than placed to look cool. Provide a variety of them if feasible, to encourage different kinds of performance idiom. Smaller key sizes, perhaps, for lighter weight and smaller form factor, but give them aftertouch -- it's CRITICAL for keytars, because so much has to be done with only one hand!

And for God's sake, we don't need them to look like Klingon battleaxes!

Give me 15 minutes and a sketchpad and the attention of the people who supposedly think about this stuff before designing it, and I could design a keytar that would be easy to manufacture, affordable, fun to play, and outright useful for all kinds of musicians.

Fade out grumbling....

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I think maybe USB Host may not often be easy/feasible to implement, unless you've got a computer-based hardware/software platform, where that hardware is built in and the OS includes the underlying support for it, already written. I think the gear that supports it may all be linux based at its core. Certainly that's the case with Kronos. I think the V3, Gemini, and Dexibell modules do it, I'm curious about what their underlying architecture is.

I still prefer standard MIDI connectors because the connections are more rugged (and you don't have to worry about possibly having to get rid of noise), but I see the convenience of USB as well.

I like the current Roland AX-Edge in functionality. Yes, the look is a bit ridiculous for me, but I'm old. Still, it works well, I've used it on a few gigs. I'm glad they brought back aftertouch, which their keytars haven't had since the original Axis.

I like the Electones, maybe because a lot of 70"s Asian music i listen to uses them. Such as the YC-45D, E70, and D85.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.