Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

That does look interesting, I'd love to spend some time with it! (Though I need another octave-fuzz like I need a hole in my head. Maybe I seem to need a few holes in my head... )

I really like the fact that you can blend your clean signal in with the octave or fuzz effects.

I like that about my Foxrox Octron, the King of octave-fuzzes in my humble opinion. Again, I'd love to try this Spaceman Nebula Fuzz.

The recently released Wampler Fuzztration looks to be a very versatile fuzz and octave-fuzz, and I'd also love to try one:

________________ [video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Nice!

I still have to expand on the octave-fuzz category of pedals. If I havent before, thanks for hooking me! ;)

:cool: But of course! Consider me the "Typhoid Mary" of Octave Fuzzes... :thu:

I'm tellin' ya, you'd love an Octron... :rawk:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I'd love to check one out IRL. A lot of those sounds could be generated by Filter effects, even the Step Sequencing? My FLMS carries Source Audio, so when this hits the store, I'll have a hands-on review!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I just ordered the newish Electro-Harmonix digital reissue of a briefly-available analog pedal from the 70's called Attack Delay, which seemed worth a $90 risk as it goes for $125 new so I could flip it for a very cheap "learning experience" cost.

It's labeled as a Tape Reversal Simulator, but appears to be more of a specialized envelope filter with maybe some pre-delay thrown in. Anyway, it seems unique enough to give a spin. The best demos are those that emulate Jeff Beck's mid-70's playing, which can be achieved by other means, but I figure it's worth trying this tool and seeing how it might serve as an alternative to an e-Bow in certain circumstances.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I just ordered the newish Electro-Harmonix digital reissue of a briefly-available analog pedal from the 70's called Attack Delay, which seemed worth a $90 risk as it goes for $125 new so I could flip it for a very cheap "learning experience" cost.

It's labeled as a Tape Reversal Simulator, but appears to be more of a specialized envelope filter with maybe some pre-delay thrown in. Anyway, it seems unique enough to give a spin. The best demos are those that emulate Jeff Beck's mid-70's playing, which can be achieved by other means, but I figure it's worth trying this tool and seeing how it might serve as an alternative to an e-Bow in certain circumstances.

Cool. Somewhat like the venerable and apparently much sought-after Boss SG-2 "Slow Gear", in effect if not in design. It might be even better described as a misguided/repurposed noise-gate, than as a specialized envelope filter, thought envelope-following does play a part in both; in this case, for cutting off the attack of notes to create 'volume-swells'. There looks to be a lot of controls and parameters and options on this EH Attack Delay, it might be capable of a lot more...

I look forward to your report back on it! Keep us posted!

I have and love a VFE BumbleBee, which combines envelope-triggered "swell" effects with an optical compressor-circuit, to keep the tails of notes from being cut-off too short. It's easily the best "swell"-effect pedal that I've ever tried! Certainly better than the Boss SG-1 all around. Definitely a part of my 'signature' sound and style and technique!

I've been using a Malekko Sneak Attack for my Slow Gear-type sounds. Took a good bit of knob-twisting to dial in, but I'm happy with it.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I've been using a Malekko Sneak Attack for my Slow Gear-type sounds. Took a good bit of knob-twisting to dial in, but I'm happy with it.

Good! :cool:

I didn't know about the Malekko Sneak Attack or the BOSS Slow Gear pedals, somehow. My EHX should arrive on TUE at the office. Hopefully I can give it a quick try once home.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I didn't know about the Malekko Sneak Attack or the BOSS Slow Gear pedals, somehow. My EHX should arrive on TUE at the office. Hopefully I can give it a quick try once home.

I'm glad that you scored an EHX Attack Delay. I've never gotten to try one of the old originals, I look forward to your observations! The original is one of those big entries in the history of "swell" effect pedals- and one of many that I haven't found and tried!

Those Boss SG-2 Slow Gear pedals were discontinued long ago, and have become high-priced rarities in demand; why, I don't exactly know, as others have made similar pedals, and even better ones, at that. The Guyatone SV2 (I have one) was a very small, similar version that was better than the Boss SG-2, and the VFE BumbleBee completely blows them both out of the water in every way! Both of THOSE are out of production for different reasons. Guyatone also made an SVm5 "Mighty Micro" Slow Volume pedal, that I never got underfoot, but it looked to be an improvement on their SV2. I've never been able to try a Malekko Sneak Attack, but Winston seems happy with its performance, after spending some time dialing its controls in...

I really, really really wanted to try out the (out of production) Pigtronix Attack-Sustain, but never got my hands, ehrr, feet on one; 100% analog (as opposed to what my old Johnson J-Station and DigiTech GNX4 did), control over both attack AND decay- and it was designed with Howard "Mick" Davis, designer of the original Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, Op-Amp/IC based "V4" Big Muff Pi, and other EH classics.

In any case, the VFE BumbleBee really set the bar high and is easily the best "swell" pedal that I've ever used!

Malekko makes a compact pedal called simply the A-D, for a Slow Gear-style effect. 2 knobs, no problem dialing it in.

I would not recommend the Sneak Attack if you're primarily looking for a Slow Gear/Swell effect. It's a very different animal, built around a Synth-style Attack/Decay Envelope Generator, and takes a good bit of tweaking to dial in. it's more of a pedal you play, not simply set-&-forget. Looking over user reviews in some other gear forums, it seems that a lot of buyers got frustrated and returned them. I like mine, but I have a good bit of experience programming Synths, and it still took me some time to get the sound I wanted from the Sneak Attack.

If Boss ever gets around to making or releasing the long-rumored Waza Craft Slow Gear, I expect it will be a bigger seller than the original. Of course, it may exist in the same alternate universe as the long-awaited RI Digitech Space Station. (Don't hold your breath, in other words.)

If Boss ever gets around to making or releasing the long-rumored Waza Craft Slow Gear, I expect it will be a bigger seller than the original.

If so, I'd expect that in a side-by-side comparison, the last iteration of the VFE BumbleBee would absolutely smoke it; over a number of years, Mr Rutter came up with his own superior design, and added further controls to fine-tune it along with an optical-circuit compressor to keep it from chopping off the tails of swelled notes. It's absolutely intuitive once you've dialed it in! And dialing it in isn't difficult at all.

@Caevan - Looking at the VFE website, that's a mighty impressive gear roster, but some of the discontinued effects, like the BumbleBee, seem even more impressive!?!?! I promise, if I ever get the chance, I'll try it.

BTW, am I right in thinking that you have one of the recent Plus Sustain pedals?

@Caevan - Looking at the VFE website, that's a mighty impressive gear roster, but some of the discontinued effects, like the BumbleBee, seem even more impressive!?!?! I promise, if I ever get the chance, I'll try it.

Mr. Rutter had a very impressive line of very impressive pedals there; he's since simplified the business and the line dramatically. I prefer his previous, discontinued creations, such as my BumBlebee (a favorite and a key part of my persona' 'signature sound', a real "desert island pedal" for me!), Fiery Red Horse fuzztortion V1 (I'd love to score a FRH V2, as well), Enterprise Phaser, and White Horse optical compressor. Great pedals!

BTW, am I right in thinking that you have one of the recent Plus Sustain pedals?

I do not, but I think that I'd enjoy one!

The EHX Attack Delay arrived early, on Monday (it was expected Tuesday), but I was so busy at work this week that I didn't get a chance to try it out until just now.

I always use my Fender Champ for trying pedals initially, so that I'm more able to tell exactly what the pedal is doing for me.

It is unlikely that I'll keep this pedal, as I am finding it WAY too hard to control, with high risk of HUGE feedback and volume bursts. I'll try it with an EXP pedal next.

It's very sensitive to settings combinations, as one would probably expect, but I just don't think this is the best way to produce such sounds, in terms of real-time.

That's usually the conclusion I reach with any overly complex or digital effects pedal. Usually there isn't sufficient player-gear connection for good reactive adjustments.

Having said that, there are a few sounds that it really nails, once you figure out how to dial them in, such as Steve Howe's bridge section in "Yours Is No Disgrace".

You know, the thing about these game changers, is that they never tell you WHICH game it is changing? Does it work as a universal control for ALL gaming consoles?

It is unlikely that I'll keep this pedal, as I am finding it WAY too hard to control, with high risk of HUGE feedback and volume bursts. I'll try it with an EXP pedal next.

It's very sensitive to settings combinations, as one would probably expect, but I just don't think this is the best way to produce such sounds, in terms of real-time.

@Mark - Haven't gotten my hands on one as yet, but I've used a LOT of Attack Delay devices, and here are a couple of tips.

Put it at or very near the front of your signal, where it will always get the same signal strength coming though.

Dime out your Decay Knob at first, then dial it back, once your notes are sustaining more or less the way they should. The Decay control determines the Decay Time of the processed sound, not your Guitar's natural sustain. This is part of what make the Malekko Sneak Attack so difficult for some users.

If you still want the Slow Attack sound, but can't get what you want form the Attack Decay, look online for the recent T.C. Electronics (yes, I know) Crescendo pedal; it's the latest version of Behrnger's Slow Motion, a Slow Gear clone. It will only affect the Attack portion of your signal, without cutting off the natural Decay.

Cool; thanks for the tips. Hopefully I'll have a chance to give those a try soon. Am between gigs at the moment and about to go to another one. I only had the one pedal in the signal path and used the Champ amp so that there would be nothing going on with the amp either, but I didn't read the user manual yet and may have guessed wrong about how some of the on-board controls worked. I'll see if I can match your suggestions about diming it and backing off from there.

TC and Behringer are the same company now, aren't they? I have trouble keeping track, as several companies have changed hands so many times in the last few years. Not sure if they share technology, like Korg and VOX.

TC and Behringer are the same company now, aren't they? I have trouble keeping track, as several companies have changed hands so many times in the last few years. Not sure if they share technology, like Korg and VOX.

If I understand the business relationship correctly, Behringer now owns TC, don't know if they have separate production lines, or ???

A lot of reviewers seem to think that the current round of budget TC pedals, only available at GC and Target(!?!?!?), are re-packaged versions of Behringer's mostly-Boss clones. I honestly don't know? I had the Behringer Slow Motion, which worked just fine as a Slow Gear clone for $20; the Crescendo is around $60, if you can find one. Well worth checking out if you're not happy with the EHX.

...I am finding it WAY too hard to control, with high risk of HUGE feedback and volume bursts. I'll try it with an EXP pedal next.

It's very sensitive to settings combinations, as one would probably expect... Usually there isn't sufficient player-gear connection for good reactive adjustments.

Winston offers very solid advice above. I'll add, that the better your muting and damping chops are, the better you'll control such a device from any maker. You'll be greatly rewarded by cultivating the kind of fingerstyle or pick-and-fingers muting and damping techniques that players like Sonny Landreth, Derek Trucks, and Duane Allman have perfected. This will allow you to trigger the opening and closing of the effectively reassigned noise-gate that such pedals are. Think and play like a slide-player with a high-gain rig that will burst into feedback with the least allowance, always on top of dynamic control, and you'll be its master.

Having said that, there are a few sounds that it really nails, once you figure out how to dial them in, such as Steve Howe's bridge section in "Yours Is No Disgrace".

A volume-pedal will definitively nail that, your guitar's volume-knob will come in a very close second. You're doing well to replicate Howe's steel-guitar style volume-pedal swells there with that pedal!

I've got to say again, that the VFE BumbleBee is amazingly intuitively touch-sensitive for such volume-swell effects. And, again, that fingerstyle muting and damping is key.

Boss hasn't offered anything recently that caught my interest until this -

[video:youtube]

It seems to address both the Synth9 and the SuperEgo: Polyphonic, with a S/R loop for adding other FX into the mix, at right around $200US. I have to say, Roland is known for their Synths, and they're the one company that has stuck with Guitar Synth tech long enough to have become an industry standard, to the degree that there is one. That's a lot of history, and institutional knowledge, to draw on. The Sequencer function alone is very cool.

I'll have to reserve judgement until I can try one, but for anyone here in the Forum who's been curious about Guitar Synth, this looks like a real winner, for price point and function.