Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

90's songs please.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play in a 90s band. How heavy do you want to get? The 90s actually provided pretty broad spectrum of stuff. Do you have keys? Do you have both male and female lead vocals? We lean on the heavier yet popular side of 90s. We also cross into 2000s Stuff like:

Possum Kingdom- Toadies

Machine Head - Bush

Smells like Teen Spirit. Nirvana

New Age Girl

I play keys on stuff like -

All Star - Smash Mouth

Touch Myself - D'Vinyls

California Love - Tu Pac

I'm too Sexy - Right Said Fred

We mellow down also with stuff like

Only wanna be with you - Hootie and the Blowfish

What's Up - 4 Non Blondes

3am - Matchbox twenty

From a guitar perspective I like the 90s a lot more now than when it new. Though guitar solos sort of dumbed down the harmonic complexity of the chords increase a lot. There are a lot of cool voiced chords on guitar. I like the Gin Blossums a lot but I find there stuff is too middle of the road. People politely listen to Gin Blossums but it clears the dance floor. Still covering Hey Jealousy but it needs to go.

There is a ton of stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If you have a keys player, Women really seem to like

Hold On - Wilson Phillips ( spent a little while programming the sounds on this)

You Gotta Be- Des'ree.

Those two would be good wedding tunes.

Don't tell anyone but I really like Wannabe by the Spice Girls. LOL

Mostly on the mellower side. We don't have keys(I may be able to get one for the night), and no male vocalist, but I can adapt fairly well.

They can all sing they just don't like to. I may be able to get one to do a few songs for one nighf.

Jenny S.

Female stuff I'm playing guitar on includes

Ironic - Alanis Morissette

You Oughta Know - Alanis M.

Zombie - Cranberries

No keys would be fine on

Linger - Cranberries

What's up- 4 Non Blondes

You Gotta Be - Des'ree. (Real guitar would sound better than the synth guitar on the original)

I never covered it but I love the song....

Stay - Lisa Loeb

Liz kills it on male stuff we do but she is a Alt. Rocket at heart. Our male lead is the mellow one. I'll check my tablet with my Setlist app after work and see if there is any mellower stuff she does.

I keep going in circles on this. Too many of the songs that pop into my head are thematically inappropriate, like 'Ordinary World' by Duran Duran. Beautiful song...about breaking up. Sorta the same problem with The Cardigans 'Lovefool'. Definitely about disfunction.

Hmmm...

"One' - U2

'All I Wanna Do" - Sheryl Crow

'When Its Love' - Van Halen. (1988, but...)

'Bed of Roses' - Bon Jovi

'Something to Talk About" - Bonnie Raitt

'Kiss From a Rose" - Seal

'Diamonds and Pearls" - Prince

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Congratulations to your Mom! Both for the upcoming Wedding, AND for having a GREAT Daughter that wants to something wonderful for her!

Don't be afraid to play stripped-down arrangements, or to 'make them your own', to a degree. Play to the songs'- and your own- strengths.

Just brainstorming here...

Foo Fighters- "Everlong", "Monkey Wrench", "My Hero", "Learn to Fly"

Extreme- "More Than Words" (would probably go over HUGELY well for a Wedding Reception!)

Soundgarden- "Black Hole Sun" (Might be cool to use your tremolo-pedal instead of the rotary-esque modulation on the guitar part in the original.)

The Smashing Pumpkins- "1979", "Tonight, Tonight", "Today"

Radio Head- "Creep", perhaps substituting "you're so 'very' special" for- you know... ;)

Live- "I Alone", "Lightning Crashes", "Horse" ("She Rode a Horse Into My head", the closing "hidden", "unlisted" track on the Album, Throwing Copper)- this one has a nice melody, a slow, loping feel, and some tasty steel guitar on it; it might be fun for you to kinda Hawaiian-it-up a bit... !

Jane's Addiction- "Been Caught Stealing", "Jane Says"

The Cure- "Friday I'm in Love", "Just Like Heaven"

The Breeders- "Cannonball"

Lenny Kravitz- "Are You Gonna Go My Way", "It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over"

Red Hot Chili Peppers- "Under the Bridge", "Give It Away", "Aeroplane"

Smash Mouth- "Walkin' on the Sun", "All Star", "Then the Morning Comes"

Santana- "Smooth"

Jewel- "You Were Meant For Me"

Mariah Carey- "Fantasy" (could segue into "Genius of Love" by Tom Tom Club with a wink ;) Note that what may sound like steel drums or keyboards might actually be Adrian Belew's guitar... )

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the help, I'm almost there. Two 45 minute sets, the second will be from regular stuff. I don't believe we could learn enough new songs and do them justice. My Grandpa is going to do 3 songs, leaving us to do 8 or 9.

Better together by Jack Johnson will be the first dance, local guy that grew up with.

Do you remember, also Jack Johnson.

Only wanna be with you, Hootie and fhe Blowfish.

2 become 1, Jewel.

They love the Beatles and I think they may have dated in high school, 2 high schoolish songs by the Beatles.

I saw her standing there and I wanna hold your hand.

2 or 3 more.

Jenny S.

Thanks for the help, I'm almost there. Two 45 minute sets, the second will be from regular stuff. I don't believe we could learn enough new songs and do them justice. My Grandpa is going to do 3 songs, leaving us to do 8 or 9.

Better together by Jack Johnson will be the first dance, local guy that grew up with.

Do you remember, also Jack Johnson.

Only wanna be with you, Hootie and fhe Blowfish.

2 become 1, Jewel.

They love the Beatles and I think they may have dated in high school, 2 high schoolish songs by the Beatles.

I saw her standing there and I wanna hold your hand.

2 or 3 more.

Nice choices! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The Way by Fastball...1995 I think...the newest song that I do! A good lovers tune. Here's the lyrics and original:

[video:youtube]]

:cool:

That was a cool tune from day 1. I actually got to hear them perform it live just a few years ago, purely by coincidence.

I was in Austin for a Continuing Legal Education class, and had brought Mom along because she loves the 'shopportunities' in I-35 between that city and where we live in D/FW. It was our last night in Austin, and we decided to have dinner at Threadgills. Our table was near- but not on- the patio. There was a band setting up to play as we were seated, and as they started to play just as our food arrived.

'The Way' was the second tune in the set.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

@ Danny, Cool story! I heard the song when it came out on the radio while on the way to work and thought about what a cool song that was. Then on the same weekend for no reason at all, I had a blank VCR loaded in the recorder and Fastball came on a TV program and started doing the song. I hit the record button and caught the whole thing. Watching the guitar player's fingers, I could tell which chords he was playing and I was able to learn the tune. I have been playing it ever since it came out. When we get together for a party, my buddies keep steeling my material and love playing it too LOL! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

The 1 fastest ways to select material would be to simply consider what she (or her fiance) like.

She is yer Mom & I bet you heard lots of what likes.

Also just check into what might be listed at specialty sites &/or in reference books (like Big Hits Of Pick An Era).

Her's one YT list = https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=90s+hits

& some other list options = 90s hits R&B / 90s hits hip hop / 90s hits love songs / 90s hits rock / 90s hits pop / country / etc

FWIW---if I'm not too late--- I'm partial to this track from the era; it seems fitting to the event & is simple enough to be done a variety of ways !

Slack key, C&W, slow blues...

[video:youtube]

Just be sure to say, "Always been told I've got too much pa-ride..." :D

Best of to all, Jenl !

:clap::w00t::cheers:

-----------------------------------------------

BTW, how was G Clark ?!

d=halfnote

• 1 month later...
My mom is getting married in 8 weeks. I wanted to do 90's music to their reception. We have 0 90's songs on our play list. I'm desperate, HELP please.

I wish your mom and new partner a happy and long lasting marriage, I can't help with 90's songs, I still listen to the 60's and early 70's stuff. And have no experience with 90's songs at all.

Everything went good. I thought we nailed the new songs and it was fun backing up my grandpa. My mom was gorgeous and my new stepfathef was handsome. They're in Santa Cruz, Ca. on their honeymoon. I'm helping my new roommate move in, and then I'm going to sleep for a whole day.
Jenny S.