Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Remembering lyrics

As is the case with Bruce Springstein and other famous artists that have a huge song list, I found that when a musician has a vast number of songs they have accumulated over the years would require some kind of genius to remember everything. A Genius I am not. My list of sequenced songs is at least 140 or 150 songs, as well as songs that I play and sing that are just my vocal and piano. Then "standards" that can come up at Corporate gigs and Private Parties that may have an age swing of 50 years or more will mean The Great American Song Book comes out to do a request.

Over the years, I have spent considerable time rehearsing the songs I had learned previously in order to stay sharp, to play my KB parts that are mission critical to do the song justice. Example, New York State of Mind, Billy Joel. The small piano part at the end of the song should be perfect, so I go over it. Practice makes perfect. I suppose if I was a lot smarter, a better musician, and more talented, I would have less trouble. But looking around my music room at all the equipment I have and how I spent all my money over the years, I realize I have none of those attributes. :cry:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite thing is blowing the lyrics to songs I've been singing forever....after that happens its MONTHS before I feel comfortable singing it again....

Yes, this is my problem in a nutshell. My confidence takes a hit, and I'm angry at myself for messing up.

We worked up "Time after Time" by Cyndi Lauper at practice last night. I sing the male harmony on the chorus. I kept mixing up the "If you're lost" and "If you fall" lines and steam started coming out of my ears, which of course doesn't help at all with remembering! :D

Stay calm grasshopper. Fear in the mind-killer. Anger leads to the dark side. All that jazz.....

I think it has been stated, but it's also pretty obvious to me that if I know the keyboard parts like the back of my hand it really helps my singing. On the chorus of Time after Time, I keep wanting to play an F instead of a G (no idea why) and that was a major distraction. It's one reason I can remember "Some Kind of Wonderful" so much better than some others: no keyboard parts until the end!!!