Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transcription Help - Soulshine

I don't know what it is (it's probably me) but for some reason I've been struggling to get the EP intro to this version of the tune. I won't even bother you with the various things I think might be throwing me off. If anyone could help me figure it out, I'd sure appreciate it, y'all.

(I don't need the main tune, I have that. I just need the EP part up to around 1:20 when the band comes in.)

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe,

You're asking for a long transcription...

I take it the tremolo on the wurli may be throwing you off.

Maybe it'd be better to let us know what part you're struggling with? If you can do without the exact intro, you might be best to improvise it on your own...lots of blues and gospel riffs going on.

.lots of blues and gospel riffs going on.

agree with Bernie here. Danny Louis is a very underrated keyboard player with excellent gospel chops. Gov't Mule is a jam band. No need to recreate any intro's note for note. Have fun with it (the intro) and then just nail the song. :cool:

:nopity:

Joe, I played Soulshine about five years ago; the band I was with at the time asked me to work up the intro. I didn't transcribe it, note for note; just figured out the chord changes, adding a couple of note cues. If I can find my hastily scribbled chart, I'll scan and send it.

Even after playing through Soulshine with the recording several times and getting the melodic elements worked out, I still felt like my performance of the intro was stiff and uninspiring - and even after gigging it a few times. While there have been signature piano and EP parts I feel I've nailed, this wasn't one of them. Same goes with 157 Riverside Ave., by REO. The notes are there and the chops are cooperating, but something isn't sitting quite right. Sometimes I suspect it's the moment of the original recording, the gear, and particular feel the artist gave the music. That's likely a discussion for its own thread though.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Joe the intro clashes at that 1:20 mark with the Hammond organ part. He obviously is a Ray Charles fan. I don't know if I'd would arranged it that way but regardless they are good players. If I was closer I would work it out and learn it with you.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Same goes with 157 Riverside Ave., by REO. The notes are there and the chops are cooperating, but something isn't sitting quite right.

It's only Rock 'n' Roll.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I would bit that even the keyboardist on this cut would not be able reproduce this intro note for note so why should you? Just learn the chords and throw in your favorite blues licks and have fun with it. Nobody will know the difference with this kind of music.

Now on the other hand it"s a great exercise to transcribe improvisations note for note. I do it all the time, but just for personal growth, not so much for performance purposes. Either way, good luck. If you happen to find a transcription please share it!

I wasn't familiar with this tune, but I just listened to the intro and it sounds like a mash up of Billy Payne and Billy Preston. I'd say go for the feel rather than strict accuracy.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Love that song and that intro... When played live, they always change that... always a mix of soul, blues and gospel there. I improvised a lot when I did with a former band... Also, I'm a big Danny Louis fan, but on that recording it's Chuck Leavell on keys!

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

The keyboard work on the Deep End version of Soulshine is not Danny Louis. It's Chuck Leavell.

And Chuck played both the Whurli and the Hammond parts.

I'm working on this song, too. My bandmates want me to sing it.

Since we're a club band, I'm probably going to leave out the first part of the intro, and just go from where Chuck goes full on Gospel.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Same goes with 157 Riverside Ave., by REO. The notes are there and the chops are cooperating, but something isn't sitting quite right.

It's only Rock 'n' Roll.

That's right, only R & R: the body of the song and solo sections are made of stuff I've been playing for decades. It's the piano intro that has a different kind of mojo; probably in part due to the positions in which Neal placed his hands for those minor blues scale runs. As I understood it, from reading an interview several years back, Neal was a trombone player - with some basic organ/accordion experience - who took on the keys role in the band. So his approach to boogie/blues piano was largely self-taught. Mine was as well, though it was filtered through years of prior classical technique - which has sometimes been a peculiar curse :laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Been covering this tune lately, but we'd been basing it off of the Allman Brothers version, and the Warren Haynes Band version. Greg Allman is Greg Allman, great, and Nigel Hall plays some very soulful keys on the Warren solo version, but DAMN Chuck kills it on this version. Gonna have to see if my drummer will shuffle the tune a little harder for me. :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The keyboard work on the Deep End version of Soulshine is not Danny Louis. It's Chuck Leavell.

And Chuck played both the Whurli and the Hammond parts.

Did not know that. :idk

Chuck Leavell has some pretty good gospel chops also. :)

I did know that Warren wrote that song for the Allman Brothers 25 years ago.

Root Doctor does a really nice cover with Jim Alfredson playing keyboards.

:nopity:

That version has Chuck on keys, Willie Weeks on bass, and Little Milton on Vocals and Guitar.

Deep End was a tribute album they did after the death of Allen Woody. From the Amazon description, "To rise above the tragedy, remaining members Warren Haynes and Matt Abts ambitiously--and brilliantly-- recorded each track with a different bass player and guest vocalist or guitarist, many of them favorites of Woody's and all renowned throughout the music world."

One of my favorites from that album was "Maybe I'm a Leo" with Roger Glover on bass

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Chuck is streaming doing an interview on Youtube today. It came up on my Twitter feed . . .

Wow, what a masterclass. Chuck has long been one of my favorite piano players. Thank you for sharing.

Making that Korg Grandstage look cool, too. Anyone know if that's just what they had in the studio, or if Chuck got pulled away from Yamaha with the Stones?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Hey Joe, don't listen to all these guys, learn the intro precisely, note for note down to the exact tempo and millisecond.

Kidding of course, Chuck Leavell is one of the greatest ever. And with some seriousness, if you can absorb some of Chuck's mojo by nailing this stuff, I think you'll be a happy camper and it will spread out to a lot of your other riffs and songs.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Here is the link:

Yes - thank you for sharing! Chuck is a treasure.

BUT GAWD DAMN... can't these guys give him a decent table stand for his keys? That damn flimsy X-stand was wobbling like crazy. I'd be shocked if that was his normal setup.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Thanks, all. Yesterday was a long day so I didn't get a chance to respond to all your great comments until now.

Sorry, in my haste, I didn't mention a couple of points that you-all brought up including that Chuck Leavell played it. I want to learn this so I can take from it what I want and make it my own. Even when I learn a tune like say, the rest of this one, once I get it going with a band, I'm going to play my part my way. If you check out Danny Louis' versions of this tune online, he does intros of different lengths (usually shorter) and his own thing. I'll never be Chuck Leavell (if I was as good as him, I'd kick his ass, and take his job with the Stones! ;):D ) but I want to steal as much from him as I can.

I wish I could say I'm struggling with this part or that part. But what's happening is that I try the first rubato part, can't get it, jump to another section that seems like it might be easier, not get that, etc. and then I'm just flustered and give up and work on something else. I'm sure I'm letting my frustration overcome me.

Maybe just the rubato part and a bit after that to get things started would get me going. :idk:

BTW, thanks for the link to Chuck's live stream! I'm looking forward to checking that out.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Joe, they are playing in Dallas Sunday at the Bomb Factory. I was hoping to go but can"t!
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Hey Joe, they are playing in Dallas Sunday at the Bomb Factory. I was hoping to go but can"t!

Bummer. I'm more bummed they're skipping Houston entirely. :(

Having finally listened through, I would have to join the chorus of, just nab the swing and the feel and make it yours. In fact, this strikes me as a place in the set that you could open up for a bit and feature--meaning, bring it solidly to your comfort zone and do whatever you do best. The only real requirement is to keep the underlying structure holy so the band can come in when you decide you're done.

Not what you asked for, I know...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Again, that's the plan. But I want to steal stuff from Chuck and then make it my own.