Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using duplicate effects?

Two Timmys? Nice!

I know of players on other boards who have run similar setups- twinned transparent OD/low-gain boost pedals- for years. Seems to be quite effective.

What style(s) do you usually play with that, petluo?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 Ammoon mini Blue delay pedals, one set for slapback and the other set longer. I have two overdrives, both by Xotic, an EP and an XP. I use the XP for crunch, and the EP for a lead boost. I don't have any duplicates or near-duplicates other than those.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I run a pair of Timmy's when I record DI or play through solid state. One is set for light overdrive and the one behind it in the chain gooses it with lots of volume for solos.

Cool. So you sometimes use the two Timmy's together, one boosting the other? Kinda like how some folks double-up on Tube Screamers and their clones, and also the same with Klons and klones... Or, do you mean, one for light overdrive, and the other for more volume and gain for lead-work?

I have 2 Ammoon mini Blue delay pedals, one set for slapback and the other set longer. I have two overdrives, both by Xotic, an EP and an XP. I use the XP for crunch, and the EP for a lead boost

Do ever turn BOTH delays on for lots of echoey echoed echoes of echoes? :) All these delays take time... ;)

Do you ever use both the Xotic EP and XP simultaneously for big, fat liar sassin' lead-tones?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@Caevan - I use stacked Delay FX often. It can get . . . spacey, but it can also create underlying polyrhythms when I play, or a form of self-accompaniment.

While I don't use mine this way, linking different Delay FX to one another via MIDI Clock at least assures that you won't have something that's horribly off-beat, just be sure you switch Time or Tempo on your Master unit. You can also use a Drum Machine or Sequencer as the Master Clock.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I have 2 Ammoon mini Blue delay pedals, one set for slapback and the other set longer. I have two overdrives, both by Xotic, an EP and an XP. I use the XP for crunch, and the EP for a lead boost

Do ever turn BOTH delays on for lots of echoey echoed echoes of echoes? :) All these delays take time... ;)

Do you ever use both the Xotic EP and XP simultaneously for big, fat liar sassin' lead-tones?

Yes, and yes.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

hey WP

i still got the full gospel business board for most things, but i keep a completely different pedalboard ready to go if i'm laZy.

i actually keep a crybaby and da ff in my guitar gig bag so if i wanna just travel lite, i grab that and a princeton. i keep a spare univibe in the back of the amp, and with that, the fuZzface and the wah, i'm good for almost any situation. which is funny, cuz the big rig is ridiculous these days. the basic board is around 90 lbs, and includes old roland analogs and stuff now. sick shit.

so yeah, i say go for the multiples. i probably have 10 fuzzfaces kicking around. i still have 3 of the 4 boss me 5's i've used for decades now. its always good to have spares for kit you rely on.

rock on J!

p

Hey, so good to see you back in here, brother!

We have a whole season of dates lined up for Novparolo, so having a dedicated 'board that I can "grab-&-go" is just the thing. Having back-ups also means if one of my mainstay effects goes down, I'm not missing a vital part of my sound. (That's one of the big risks with MFX; when your MFX unit goes haywire, that's your whole rig.)

You'd like the Novparolo board; GR-20, with a Messner OD, Keeley Seafoam Chorus and a Malekko 616 Analog Delay in the Guitar S/R loop, then everything out through the stereo Out jacks on the GR-20. All fits on one Pedaltrain PT-1, in a HSC. One-handed rig.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Ah, well, I did it.

Went out to my FLUMS, to trade in some more gear, where they had a Seafoam Chorus, a Malekko 616 mkII, and the Warhorn, so I brought them all home. This was a real stroke of luck, as Novparolo has a show this coming weekend (August 3rd), and I was hoping to have my gear all in order, beforehand. We also have a run of shows from the end of August through the beginning of November, so again, I'm very glad to have a "grab-&-go" rig ready for the next few months.

Ah, well, I did it.

Went out to my FLUMS, to trade in some more gear, where they had a Seafoam Chorus, a Malekko 616 mkII, and the Warhorn, so I brought them all home. This was a real stroke of luck, as Novparolo has a show this coming weekend (August 3rd), and I was hoping to have my gear all in order, beforehand. We also have a run of shows from the end of August through the beginning of November, so again, I'm very glad to have a "grab-&-go" rig ready for the next few months.

Nice. I think I'd like that Warhorn overdrive, and that Malekko 616 MkII, as well.

You'll often lose me at the word "chorus", but that Keeley Seafoam Chorus looks to be a very versatile and tasty device. I'd bet that I could find a few sounds to like in that stomp...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@Caevan - the 616 isn't substantially different from the MXR Carbon Copy, AFAIK, expect for having the Mod controls on top? I just really Malekko's gear, and I suppose I liked the look of the bright red box over the dark green. Used 616's generally show up for slightly less $$$ than used CC's, too, probably because fewer people recognize them.

I really like the Warhorn, but I can't for the life of me see how Walrus says it's "transparent"?!?!? Definitely more Drive & Gain on tap than the Messner. There's some debate as to whether the Warhorn is built around a TS design, but I can tell you that it has none of the over-compressed tone that I associate with the Tube Screamer, and was trying to avoid at all costs. It reminds me of the original Boss OD-1, at least as well as I can recall it after all this time. Nice, open Drive tone, that you can push into Distortion if you really want to.

The Messner is so low-gain, I could see many players using it as an always-on Boost pedal, even for a Clean tone. The Warhorn wants to be an Overdrive. With the Volume and Drive set at right about Noon, running in the S/R loop of my GR-20, with no Amp, the Warhorn growls. In the same position, at the same settings, the Messner barely calls attention to itself. Even so, I wouldn't really call the Messner "transparent," either. The Tone control can take you up into Ice-Pick territory, especially with the Gain cranked.

I tend to like Chorus in one of two flavors; either so subtle, that it really just adds a little thickener to your sound, like the Seafoam, or deep, warbling seasick sounds, like the EQD Sea Machine. For now, I have plenty of bent sounds, so the Seafoam gives me just what I need.