Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cover better than the original?
Dave Bryce #3061153 09/04/20 03:15 PM
P
P
I love EC's music during the time he came to the US and hung out with Duane Allman and Delaney and Bonnie and others up to the 80's. He had some great songs. But his guitar playing on it's own never really impressed me much either, other than some of the early things like Crossroads.

Sound, Studio, and Stage Island
Markyboard #3061165 09/04/20 03:59 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Markyboard
Originally Posted by SamuelBLupowitz
I see you, and I raise you the Derek and the Dominoes version!

I don't know what it is but I've just never been a Clapton fan. I know to say this is sacrilege although I acknowledge his talent, influence and originality. Maybe it's that every 2 bit guitarist in every bar band seems to want to imitate his style and it's grown tiring to me over the years?
idk

Btw I never heard that version of LW. Thanks for sharing Sam but nope, didn't change my mind.
Despite the stellar mix facepalm grin

I'm with you on that. I like some of Clapton's music but I have no idea how the "Great British Guitarist Triumvirate" became Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck.
Jeff Beck can stay, he stands tall on his own mountain. Jimmy Page is a great producer and strummer but pretty much a sloppy hack on lead work. I know, Rory Gallagher is Irish. Ireland is part of the British Empire, no? What about Richie Blackmore, David Gilmore, John Renbourn, Allen Holdsworth, Steve Howe, Albert Lee (I could go on...).

Of course, if we open it up to the world and include guitarists besides rock guitarists then the list of guitarists who have staggering musical talent becomes pretty enormous.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
1 member likes this: Markyboard
Dave Bryce #3061185 09/04/20 06:10 PM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
The graffiti was supposed to say, "Clapton is good."

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Dave Bryce #3061247 09/05/20 03:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Manhattan Transfer - “Birdland”

Forte 7, Mojo 61, Reface CP/CS

Dave Bryce #3062649 09/15/20 09:47 PM
S
S
This:
my favourite cover after All Along the Watchtower

This one isn't necessarily better than the original but it's an invitation to discover one of the greatest unknown bands Klaatu

vs.

1 member likes this: Dave Bryce
Dave Bryce #3062800 09/17/20 03:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I would add George Benson's version of "On Broadway," and I think I prefer Chicago's version of "I'm a Man," although it may just be that I heard that version first.

-Tom Williams
<First name><At>AirNetworking<dot>com
PC361, PX-5S, AX-Edge
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61
1 member likes this: SamuelBLupowitz
BMD #3062805 09/17/20 06:22 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by BMD
I'm quite fond of this cover that Craig did of one of my tunes

It's completely different from the original and all the better for it, I think

But this also relates to the Bob Dylan comments...yes, just about any Byrds version of a Dylan song is way better, BUT the covers wouldn't have existed without the originals. In the case of "Only Ever After You," I would put it in the "indestructible songs" category. You could do a death metal whaling song version, and it would still turn out OK smile

Joe Muscara #3062811 09/17/20 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Joe Muscara
The graffiti was supposed to say, "Clapton is good."
"He's very talented!"

I wouldn't necessarily list Clapton as one of my favorites (he's definitely one of my dad's favorites, so I grew up with a lot of enthusiasm around him), but that Derek and the Dominoes record is definitely in my top ten. Even though I'd heard Layla one too many times by the time I listened to the whole record, hearing it in context made me experience it differently. Aren't albums fun?

Speaking of the "Great British Guitar Triumverate* (*Some Exclusions Apply)," does everyone know the story about the version of "You Shook Me" on the first Zeppelin album? Page produced essentially the same arrangement for Jeff Beck, then turned around and redid it with Zeppelin without saying anything to Beck first. Page must have been a hard guy to be friends with, at least during that era.

Also, I know he was doing the backstroke through a sea of heroin at the time and Plant and Jones were basically left to their own devices to write the album, but Page's solo on "Hot Dog" from In Through the Out Door is one of the worst guitar solos I've ever heard. It doesn't even sound like a first take, it sounds like a joke take he played because he knew they were just getting levels, and then he just said "good enough." Man, when that band was on, though...

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Dave Bryce #3062830 09/17/20 04:45 PM
N
N
You can decide for youself....

nat

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard