Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cover better than the original?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up in the 1980"s i heard more cover songs then the originals, because i was either too young or wasn"t born yet. I heard Venus by Bananarama, before I heard Shocking Blue"s original. No Doubt"s cover of it"s my life. Originally by Talk Talk. 10,000 Maniacs Because the Night. Originally Patti Smith. Gloria Estefan Turn the Beat around. Vicki Sue Robinson, Original. Even Everlasting Love Originally Carl Carlton.

There are two Beatles Songs that i liked the cover of. Here comes the Sun, covered by Richie Havens, and A little help from my friends Joe Cocker. These two songs I heard by the Beatles Originally, even though the had broken up before i was born.

A cover song for me works when the tempo is changed, or the instruments, this is just my opinion.

to paraphrase you, brother dB, what constitutes "better"? :)

certainly the Manford Mann version was more commmercially sucessfull and launched millions of bong hits, but never in a thousand years could they have penned that tune

:nopity:

during the late 1980's early 1990's I preferred Siouxsie and the Banshees cover of The Beatle's "Dear Prudence" over the original. Don't know if I feel the same way today

still prefer Joe Cocker's cover of "A Little Help From My Friends" over the original

for me it's where I am in place and time as to what my preference is

to paraphrase you, brother dB, what constitutes "better"? :)

More likable to whoever is posting. Hence the thread title. :poke:

certainly the Manford Mann version was more commmercially sucessfull and launched millions of bong hits, but never in a thousand years could they have penned that tune

Oh, hell no.

Okay, here's another one. Most people know the Blue Suede version of Hooked On A Feeling...but how many know the original version by B.J. Thomas?

[video:youtube]

(I feel that) the Blue Suede version is WAY better.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Blinded By The Light. Manfred Mann version better than Springsteen version.

There. I've said it. :saber:

dB

I Came for You, as well.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hey Geoff. Thanks for illustrating my point. Both of these renditions of Cloudburst are covers ð

Well ok, Jon Lambert wrote lyrics to a jazz tune so maybe it"s only half a cover.

For those who don"t know about Lambert, Hendrix and Ross please take a minute to go listen to check out this video. In this tune the middle section is a note for note transcription of Lester Young"s sax solo but now with lyrics. I can"t even read the lyrics as fast as Jon is singing them. This is one of my all time favorite performances.

My apologies, dboomer.

I believe the Lambert, Hendrix and Ross rendition was at least the original vocal version, FWIW. Please correct me if I'm wrong (again).

This should be the original version, then (Source):

[video:youtube]YMNFnwRKRF0

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Title says it all.

My (first) nomination: Joe Cocker's version of the Letter.

dB

love that version. I'll raise the bar. TTB version of The Letter. If you havent seen TTB live, you must do so at the next available opportunity. It's mandatory. :cop:

. I'll raise the bar. TTB version of The Letter.

Now we're into a whole different thing - ownage.

To me, that vid is basically TTB doing the Mad Dogs and Englishmen version. Joe Cocker, OTOH, reworked the tune and made it his own.

Don't get me wrong - the TTB version rocks in a big way...but I'm not sure it raises the bar because they're just going to the same place Cocker did. Can't say I blame them at all, mind you - it's a pretty damn fun place, and that band is about as perfect for going there as it gets.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The first one comes to mind for me is Love Hurts. I've heard older versions of it but I don't even recall who originally did it and don't have time to look it up now. The Nazareth version is amazing to my ears.

The Everly Brothers 1960 released in 1961.

Yea, I looked it up.