Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GSI vb3-11 virtual tonewheel organ

I checked out the demos of the vb3-11 and were quite impressed. the best virtual Hammond clone I have heard yet. if someone has a better sounding one, post your comments here. what I want to know is how and where can I purchase the vb3-11 and what is the cost.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or if you don't want to use the computer as you sound source, you can also get VB3 in the stand-alone Gemini module.

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43

or in a Mojo keyboard

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=34

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Arturia B3 V2 is a big step forward, but I don't remember the details that I wrote in my initial review. I just don't spend much time with any of these VI's because I still feel that my Hammond XK-1c slaughters them when it comes to how the sounds of the individual tonewheels evolve and interact, leading to more expressive and organic results. But the basic timbre of some of the software solutions is getting closer all the time, and when I compare to some saved tracks and audio from the canceled NI B4 II, I think we are finally at the point where most people no longer need to feel regrets that NI canceled it (vs. porting to 64-bits).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Arturia B3 V2 is a big step forward, but I don't remember the details that I wrote in my initial review. I just don't spend much time with any of these VI's because I still feel that my Hammond XK-1c slaughters them when it comes to how the sounds of the individual tonewheels evolve and interact, leading to more expressive and organic results. But the basic timbre of some of the software solutions is getting closer all the time, and when I compare to some saved tracks and audio from the canceled NI B4 II, I think we are finally at the point where most people no longer need to feel regrets that NI canceled it (vs. porting to 64-bits).

Have you tried all three that Mr. Fudd mentioned? B5, Blue3, and the latest VB3?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How nice is it to have 2, 3. 4 or more developers obsessing over giving us an affordable software instrument that gets as close as they can at this given time to the real thing? Listen to the demos, if the developer allows a software demo install go ahead and do it. Then make your pick, or get two. Or all of them. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well, I think B5 received yet another update right after I sold it a few months ago, so I probably am not familiar with whatever leaps and bounds it made in its latest update. But I owned it until this spring, and also tried demos of the others.

Blue was the one that I couldn't get any feeling of connection with, and yet it is praised by people who are aiming more for jazz tone, as I usually am as well. Tastes differ of course. But what strikes me about all of these software based emulations is that I just don't feel them breathe like the XK-1C. Even if I turn off the effects on everything (Leslie, Chorus, Vibrato, Percussion).

Of course, people are just as opinionated about the hardware clones, with many dismissing Hammond's as snob-appeal. I can't comment on that, simply because I am one or two generations behind in trying the competition at this point. Technically, I'm also one generation behind (finally!) with Hammond, as this time I didn't do the upgrade (XK-5).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have both VB3 1.4 and B-5. Both are are excellent. VB3 2 is in the current Mojo 61 and Gemini. The Mojo's are preferred by some here to the Hammond VASE 3 engine that is in all current Hammonds except the X-5.

B-5 is my go to and the one I prefer, I like its overdrive and transition from clean to sizzling better than VB3. B-5 is a hybrid, samples for raw tone, everything else is modelled.

VB3 is modelled, and will run without hiccups on low end machines or older machines with HDD's.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Here's something else to consider. I don't remember if I read about it here, or elsewhere, but someone raved about how layering two Hammond VSTs yielded fantastic results, i.e., the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. (I don't recall which two software instruments the poster was using.)

Has anyone here tried this?

Dennis

Blue3 is also worth at least the free demo download. It also gives you their leslie sim ("Spin"), and you can also see what the other's sound like through that Leslie sim instead of their own... even more combinations to evaluate!