Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Darkglass sorcery

No fewer than 4 bassists I know have gotten Darkglass fever BAD.

What is it about Darkglass that is making reasonable people insane addicts?

No, I'm actually asking. I have yet to audition one in person. What is the glorious thing about their products?

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not heard of them before but, after YewTewbing various demo videos, all I can say is...well, okay.

I mean, they sound good using various settings (at least for the kind of music I play), but their main drive seems to be the distortion effect that you can achieve. I imagine it'd be perfect in a death-metal setting but probably not so much in a Beatles cover-band or to play surf-music. Country and Western are Right Out.

They have an impressive promo video on their website. Lots of flash, exciting music, sweeping camera angles of knobs, jacks, EQ sliders, cooling vents, little rubber feet. I almost expected a teeny-tiny Robert Downey Jr to stride out from behind the amp and start blowing stuff up.

Pretty thrilling, eh?

They didn't mention how it'll stand up to some yutz spilling beer on it at a bar gig. To me, that's a thing.

I'm sure that to some, like your buds, it's the Next Big Thing, but I see it more as a niche amp. Great if that's what you're looking for but definitely not for everyone.

Play. Just play.

The reports I'm getting back is "SVT on steroids" which is, hyperbole aside, probably appropriate for everything that does not require hifi. I'll be checking almost the entire product line this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
So, did you get a chance to audition the Darkglass gear, 0-9? Any insights how? Or did you drink the Kool-Aid, became entranced, and haven't left your rehearsal room for weeks due to being so enamored with it?

qz0mogfmrdtxyg1zb1v393c32f7sv5m7.jpg

at DarkGlass HQ.

nc713cqeciifwspvjs7uooteev2y4rhs.jpg

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

OK, I tried a bunch of their pedals over the weekend. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's definitely the sound I am interested in. At first, since I was at a super-high end store, I played through them using Alembics and Foderas, and then I realized that I may not be getting a true idea of what is going on since I am unfamiliar with either brand. Those pedals sound amazing with American P Basses and Rics. I'm going to have to bring in my Nordstrand to give them a good run. I guarantee I will either have the head or a preamp pedal soon.