Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Odyssey Officially Shipping...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people on Gearslutz.com have been waiting for this synth. Apparently, one of the modifications to the Beta Test Units was the addition of FX. No patch memory, which is a shame. The original Odyssey can generate a lot of great sounds,it has a lot of great sound shaping controls that make it a very versatile synth. But it takes time to change all the sliders and check the Tuning before playing it live.

The price is about $450 US dollars. A bargain.

I hope the Behringer OBXa clone is next, but who knows. They shipped the prototype off for Firmware a few months again and it may not be ready for prime time.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I guess I don't really get leaving out things like patch memory. I'm more in favor of putting in "modern" things that make our lives easier to go along with the vintage sounds/engines. Granted, patches do create a disconnect between what you see on controls and what you hear.

I found a great live balance with my Virus...pull up one of a relatively few number of patches and go at it with all the knobs and buttons :) Great fun live!

I wish my band was more synth-centric, I could justify getting an analog or VA board again...as it is I'm eyeing a modx for it's versatility, and the FM doesn't hurt.

I found a great live balance with my Virus...pull up one of a relatively few number of patches and go at it with all the knobs and buttons :) Great fun live!

I enjoy doing that with my Korg Radias. Fun and unpredictable.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I also would really to have one. Patch memory would have been great though...

I got a large ration of insults on Gearslutz.com when I suggested the Odyssey should have had Patch memory. I don't understand why companies will make a modern rendition of a classic synth and build it with the same limitations of the original. I suppose there are a lot more bedroom musicians and players that don't play live to realize how important patch memory is to a musician that gigs. Although the tuning on my Odyssey is good, I couldn't use it in a live situation enough to justify carrying it.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I don't understand why companies will make a modern rendition of a classic synth and build it with the same limitations of the original.

I suppose there are a lot more bedroom musicians and players that don't play live to realize how important patch memory is to a musician that gigs. Although the tuning on my Odyssey is good, I couldn't use it in a live situation enough to justify carrying it.

Mike T.

+1

That´s why I use S|C Scope w/ Prodyssey.

My one-and-only non preset memory synth is my vintage MOOG Minimoog D, the last one which got MIDI and I´m keeping alive.

But today, I don´t buy keyboard instruments w/o patch memory.

For a short time I wanted a Behringer Model D and the BOdyssey, but that was just only the GAS coming up because of their low prices.

A.C.

Ordered mine yesterday from Music Store in Germany - £399!

Back story.....

1981 ended up with Rev 3 as a straight replacement for my faulty MultiMoog ( what a fab synth that was )

2009 reluctantly sold it. Reliability was starting to worry me, keyboard noisy, sliders were stiff, filter went a bit weird sometimes)

2015 Bought the Korg Odyssey - very good but I didn"t like the mini keys so...

2016 Sold it and got the Rev 3 Module. Nice compromise

2017 heard about the Behringer clone - so sold the Module

2018 waited,.....

2019 finally

I have a Neutron and a D - very impressed with both the sound and the build quality. Let"s hope this is as good.

I'm holding out for the Behringer iteration of the Arp 2600. I fear that, like ChazKeys, I will be waiting for a while, even though Uli said something relatively recently about it.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I'd like to address the patch memory issue for a minute. Most people are unaware of what it takes to computer control analog voltage controlled circuitry. If you think that one can just slap an inexpensive microcontroller in there and be done, you would be wrong.

For every point of variable control, the circuit must insert an analog voltage controlled amplifier. For every point of on-off control, the circuit must insert an electronic analog switch.

So for a single oscillator that allows basic control of coarse and fine tuning, pulse width modulation, 3 waveform selections, two modulation inputs, and keyboard tracking, you have added 5 VCAs and 4 analog switches. That's per oscillator, and that's a lot of added hardware.

But wait, there's more! Now you have to hook up the computer to control it all. It will need some extra sample and hold and demultiplexing circuitry to hold the control voltages as the computer cycles around updating each value hundreds of times a second. By the same token, the panel pots and switches are no longer directly connected to the synth circuits. They go thru multiplexing circuitry so that the computer can directly read their values.

This all leads to efforts to reduce the amount of hardware to keep the complexity and cost down. The first thing to go is analog control signals. The envelopes and the LFOs get generated directly in software. So now you have a machine which has a computer sitting between the panel and the instrument, with more and more parts generated in software.

That is why the GearSlutz crowd jumped on you. They want purity and cheapness, and hardware controllers. Your $300 Behringer would cost at least double to add presets.

Moe

---

• 2 weeks later...
I like the way the sliders go all the way up the back of her legs....mmm....

Uh..I've said too much

I wonder about functionality of all the extra buttons and display.

Is that only for FX ?

Or will it come w/ a few memory locations, unexpectedly ?

A.C.

I really don't see the point. What sounds and music can't you make with this that you can't make on anything else?

And I also really don't like Behringer, especially since they tried to sue Dave Smith, who is a hero. Friends don't let friends support a company like that.

I really don't see the point. What sounds and music can't you make with this that you can't make on anything else?

And I also really don't like Behringer, especially since they tried to sue Dave Smith, who is a hero. Friends don't let friends support a company like that.

+1

In my view companies like Behringer are killing jobs and ingenuity. Their strategy is as simple as despicable: steal ideas, squeeze them dry and make a ton of money.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I suppose you could say that about a significant amount of music tech products released over the last 25 years.

They are trying to sue Dave Smith? Why is that?

https://cdm.link/2018/06/behringer-have-sued-dave-smith-instruments-forum-posters-for-defamation/

It was thankfully thrown out but not before DSI had to spend six figures to defend themselves. Ridiculous. I will never support Behringer or the companies associated with the Music Tribe group again (Midas, Klark Teknik, Lab Gruppen, Lake, Tannoy, Turbosound, TC Electronic, TC Helicon, Behringer, Bugera, Coolaudio and Auratone).

I suppose you could say that about a significant amount of music tech products released over the last 25 years.

Certainly. Which is why the DSI Pro2 and Prophet 12 are such fantastic instruments; taking older concepts and doing something new with them. Unfortunately both are now discontinued. The Prophet 12 never got the kudos it deserves, imo. And the Pro2 is a monosynth but completely redefines what that term means.

I will never support Behringer or the companies associated with the Music Tribe group again (Midas, Klark Teknik, Lab Gruppen, Lake, Tannoy, Turbosound, TC Electronic, TC Helicon, Behringer, Bugera, Coolaudio and Auratone).

Are you sure about Auratone, Jim? I can't find anything that says they're owned by Music Tribe, and their site says they "continue to be family owned."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

... steal ideas, squeeze them dry and make a ton of money.

That´s how the music biz works

:D

A.C.

That"s how all business works.

Steal ideas: that"s why we have patent laws to protect innovators, but time-limited to provide value to society.

Squeeze them dry: that"s called competition. It"s really quite good for all of us.

Make a ton of money: some do, and many don"t. Like trips to Vegas, there"s lots of talk about winning and lots of silence about failures.

Regarding law suits, there are many reasons to do them, and the goal doesn"t always have to be to win. I interpret Behringer"s action as a warning shot to discourage its competitors and their employees from making disparaging comments online. Win or lose, the message will get through.