Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Etsy acquiring reverb.com?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. I hope it's as good as the founder/CEO says it will be. IOW, I hope we hardly notice, except that it gets better.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I hear they're offering DIY X-stand kits made from rainforest deadfall

I'm more interested in the guitar pick jewelry. I think I'm making that up...

Actually the combo has the potential to be very beneficial. I think reverb.com is spread in a lot of different directions, which is fine when you're growing. But past a certain point, you need to focus on what works, and jettison what doesn't. As a parallel example, Gibson may not be out of the woods yet, but it is having a resurgence because it has a narrower focus than it did prior to the bankruptcy.

Always concerned about acquisitions/buyouts.

- Founders create a company because they've got a passion about something. That company is their entire life, and they will do anything to stop it going under

- Acquirers buy a company because they think it can make them money. If that acquired company fails, they simply close it down.

Cheers, Mike.

Always concerned about acquisitions/buyouts.

- Founders create a company because they've got a passion about something. That company is their entire life, and they will do anything to stop it going under

- Acquirers buy a company because they think it can make them money. If that acquired company fails, they simply close it down.

Here's a little inside baseball for you: back in 2015, the founder said the eventual goal was to either take it public, or get bought by Etsy. I'm sure Etsy thinks Reverb.com will make money, or they wouldn't be buying the company. But it's a pretty good fit. It's not like Etsy is diversifying into a line of cosmetics.

My vote of confidence is that as of yesterday, craiganderton.com is being hosted officially by Reverb.com. The site is live now, but the actual launch won't happen for a week or two. The goal is to separate my commercial and educational activities. To that end, I've also created craiganderton.org, which is where I'll be putting articles, tips, and the like. I felt that trying to mix "teaching" and "selling" was going to become increasingly problematic as the number of products I have continues to increase - people looking for tips and such wouldn't want to wade through pitches for books and such, while people who wanted to buy the products wouldn't want to have to fish for them. It will take a few months for the .org site to develop (right now it's just the old craiganderton.com site), but I feel good about the change. Reverb.com has been very supportive, to say the least.

maybe they will want you back. :)

I already traded some web copy for a guitar :) But as much as I enjoyed my time at Gibson, I'm getting into some really cool ventures that couldn't co-exist with a full-time gig. I'm on the wrong side of the mortality curve, and I want my last chapter to be about helping people to get started in recording and music.