Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Get original DX7 patches made by Brian Eno in 1987

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting! Just downloaded and will try to load into Native Instruments FM8 when I get home tonight.
Knabe baby grand, Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Wurlitzer 200A, Clavinet C, Minimoog Model D, Synthesizers.com modular, Sequential Prophet 6, GSI DMC-122 and Gemini module, Kurzweil PC3-X

I remember those patch pages! :cool: Sometimes they would publish patches submitted by readers that were pretty cool. I remember initializing a patch on my DX7 and entering the parameters, one at a time... :crazy: Of course, this was long before we had the internet and YouTube, so we never knew if they'd be useful until we were finished with it. OTOH, if not it was still fun departing from these to create something else interesting.

BTW, the DX7 was actually capable of a fairly authentic Rhodes imitation. It was a reader submission one month. :cool: Naturally most folks at the time were too smitten with the cliche DX7 EP to care, but it could be done!

><>

Steve

I remember those patch pages! :cool: Sometimes they would publish patches submitted by readers that were pretty cool. I remember initializing a patch on my DX7 and entering the parameters, one at a time... :crazy: Of course, this was long before we had the internet and YouTube, so we never knew if they'd be useful until we were finished with it. OTOH, if not it was still fun departing from these to create something else interesting.

LOL, same here! I also got Yamaha's AFTER TOUCH magazine (remember that?). And yes, I entered every parameter by hand on the front panel. Even though I had a computer, I didn't get into MIDI'ing my computer and discovering the joys of sysex until nearly a decade later.

I do remember the Eno patches in Keyboard, but honestly, I wasn't really impressed by them. I don't seem to have any of them saved in my RAM cartridges (I do have quite a few After Touch magazine patches, though).

BTW, the DX7 was actually capable of a fairly authentic Rhodes imitation. It was a reader submission one month. :cool: Naturally most folks at the time were too smitten with the cliche DX7 EP to care, but it could be done!

I don't remember that patch, but I made my own Fender Rhodes sound (a mellow Suitcase Rhodes emulation) some years later. I think I even used one of the single-carrier algorithms (17 or 18) to get that sound.

• 2 years later...

Yes, it was my idea few years ago to collect all issues, scan them and publish. Thanks to contributions from other members of yahoogroup YamahaDX we could do it, with the great help of another colleague Rawl Gelinas.

the same way we did also Dx7 II Supplemental Booklets and other material. Now it's published with the Yamaha allowance and freely downloadable.

Daniel Forro

First patch is Kalimba2. For those who never had a DX7, the original Kalimba patch was IMO the poster child for what FM synthesis could do. Play it extremely lightly and you have a pleasant Kalimba-like patch. But as you increase the velocity the volume, complexity, and timbre-warping gradually change from Beauty to the Beast. You couldn"t get this from subtractive synths or samplers.

Patch pages were fun! And it's all we had back then aside from some synths had tape memory backup. KB Mag did indeed have a "patch of the month" type entry thing for a while and I remember submitting some sounds, none of which ended up being published. I have a recollection that it was a $50 "prize" and I was at one time factoring that into my gear slush fund (the hope of getting the $50) but alas, never was successful.

For my Roland JX-8P, I used an old school typewriter to create a blank template for all the parameters and then I copied that blank sheet so I could use these to make "paper backups" of special sounds. I still have a three ring binder with these somewhere on a shelf. The good old days.