Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Real Leslie Sighting

Sorry I'm here all the time, but rarely post.

This is just an observance from last nights outdoor concert on the beach.

We saw a band called The Blues Beatles and they were all excellent players. The bass player was mixed WAY too hot for my liking, but that is my pet peeve.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I was hearing a very nice Hammond/Leslie sound but couldn't see what the guy was using from where I was seated.

So I took a walk up behind the bandstand and saw that he was using an XK1c and a road cased 147 with an old original chrome pre-amp stomp box from the 60's.

Well as we all know, there's nothing like the real thing, this rig kicked some serious A$$ like no SIM can do.

As said before, very good player, but great sound never hurts either.

So this observance is not for argument sake, it was just good old fashioned ear candy to me.....and it made my night.

Paul

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always a treat to see/hear a Leslie in the wild. The keyboard player must be well-loved by his bandmates (that or they have a roadie or two to help carry it).

I know it wasn't the point of the post, but "The Blues Beatles" -- I assume they play Beatles covers, but, uh, bluesy?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I've said this a few times here... a certain well-known horn band has a great Hammond player who has a big Leslie on stage. He told me, "I hear the Leslie, the band hears the Leslie â the audience hears a Vent!"

Was the Leslie you saw miked? :-)

Yes all the early classic Beatle tunes with a blues twist. They were tight and it was well done and the crowd loved them.

It was announced that they came from Brazil, we are in Rhode Island, when speaking they did have accents that would point towards that being true.

They did have roadies!

Paul

Nothing sounds better than a real leslie and an XK1c through a 147 sounds very good. As you know the size/weight is the issue. The Vent will never replace the sound of a real leslie but for me it has a sound quality that was good enough for me to leave my Motion Sound Pro3T/Low Pro at home, which honestly isn't that big of a PIA to setup and play. However when you start to add in the micing setup necessary it became apparent to me that the Vent, at my older age, was the way to go. The Vent also provides a consistent sound, regardless of the venue, setup in a corner vs. away from a wall, setup outdoors, etc. All of those variables can change the sound quality of the real leslie, the Vent removes those variables. I'll live with its shortcomings.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

They are a killer band, definitely worth checking out if you haven't

HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

When I provided some backline for the company that booked Eddie Money he had the same idea XK3c through a road cased 147. I don't think it was miced good enough as I remember. A lot of guys are keeping Leslie's under the stage (Stones, Springsteen, etc)

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

A lot of guys are keeping Leslie's under the stage (Stones, Springsteen, etc)
Does that mean Chuck is getting to play through a real Leslie these days? Some years back I read an interview where he said he had switched to running the B3 through a Vent... I'm sure the Stones can afford the real deal. :laugh:

When I provided some backline for the company that booked Eddie Money he had the same idea XK3c through a road cased 147.
Slightly OT, but a band I used to play with opened for that Eddie Money show in Rochester (assuming this was the one around 2014 or so? It was before I played with them). Apparently he was very polite and complimentary of their set, even though there was no way he saw or heard it any of it, haha.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

It was the Majestics Sam I think. It was around then when our Party in Park were by the Public Safety Building downtown. Chuck might have a vent now but Goff Organ did his work in the 90's and like I said in another thread. They had a cage around the Leslie with Mic ports put in. I have the interview around somewhere here where he talked about it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Does that mean Chuck is getting to play through a real Leslie these days? Some years back I read an interview where he said he had switched to running the B3 through a Vent... I'm sure the Stones can afford the real deal. :laugh:

I'll ask him when I see him tonight. Hopefully he'll be able to hear me from the section where my seats are. :lolol:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes Leslie was mic'd

I saw yet another band outside last night and the keys player was using the same setup. you could tell the 145 was close mic'd...lots of doppler effect through the FOH... but sounded good.

But my thought was that he could have easily gotten away with a vent in last nights context.

Paul

I'll ask him when I see him tonight. Hopefully he'll be able to hear me from the section where my seats are. :lolol:

While you're at it, ask him to play "Jessica." I'm sure he loves that. :laugh:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

While you're at it, ask him to play "Jessica." I'm sure he loves that. :laugh:

I think Mick would have been more bothered than Chuck. They have their own songs to play. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI