Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A real relief

picker

I was blessed to hear some very good news recently. My hands had been shaky for while, and my head had started shaking a bit too. My balance had gotten a little flaky and I had taken some falls, and . I went to a neurologist, and was pleased to find out I did not have Parkinson's Disease, the symptoms of which are similar to what I was exhibiting.

Instead, I have what are called familial tremors.If you saw the movie On Golden Pond, Katherine Hepburn had the same condition. Her head shook very noticeably because of it. It's apparently an hereditary condition that runs in some families. I don't recall any of my older relatives having them, but my older brother tells me he has them too. Thankfully, it's not a degenerative or crippling condition, although it can be inconvenient. So far, it doesn't seem to affect my playing.

The doctor put me on a drug called Propranolol, and it helps a lot. Boy howdy, was it ever a relief to find out it wasn't Parkinson's!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I wish that you didn't have to go through ANY of this AT ALL, I am glad that it isn't as bad as it might be, and that the medication makes a real difference. Wishing you the very best there, picker...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Bad news: you"re suffering from an illness

Good news: it"s not too serious, and better yet, it"s treatable!

I remember reading an interview a famous Metal guitarist- don"t remember which- who got a big health scare. His doctor told him, 'Bad news- I"m afraid you have brain cancer.' Then he said, 'Good news- you have brain cancer!' And after a few seconds of stunned silence, the doc added, 'And the kind you have is usually treated by a quick surgery and some prescription meds for a while. The treatment is over 95% effective, with almost zero relapses after 5 years.'

The guitarist told the interviewer how amazingly mind blowing it was to be happy to have brain cancer.

IOW, always look on the bright side of life!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Picker, It's great to hear you do not have Parkinson's and your condition is treatable by prescription drugs. I too went to a Neurologist and have taken an RX for my condition since '95. They are great doctors that can treat problems other doctors have trouble diagnosing. Wishing you all the best! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Good news Picker,

My next door neighbor had Parkinson's and it was not pretty. After a few years of it he was completely helpless, and needed help in actually feeding himself. One day he slipped coming out of the shower hit his head and went into a coma. He never regained consciousness and after 2 weeks he died.

I was blessed to hear some very good news recently. My hands had been shaky for while, and my head had started shaking a bit too. My balance had gotten a little flaky and I had taken some falls, and . I went to a neurologist, and was pleased to find out I did not have Parkinson's Disease, the symptoms of which are similar to what I was exhibiting.

Instead, I have what are called familial tremors.If you saw the movie On Golden Pond, Katherine Hepburn had the same condition. Her head shook very noticeably because of it. It's apparently an hereditary condition that runs in some families. I don't recall any of my older relatives having them, but my older brother tells me he has them too. Thankfully, it's not a degenerative or crippling condition, although it can be inconvenient. So far, it doesn't seem to affect my playing.

The doctor put me on a drug called Propranolol, and it helps a lot. Boy howdy, was it ever a relief to find out it wasn't Parkinson's!

While not convenient and something you want, it is great you don't have Parkinson's. Best of luck to you and keep on picking!