Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my job's going down the toilet

I work for a small software co. in NH (50 people) and last March we were bought out by a 'big and friendly' company. Sure enough, today one of the head guys got canned. Can you say: "familiar scenario"? Since my dept's sales are down this year, I figure I've got about 3-5 months before my own fun trip to the guillotine. Now let me just take this big black magic marker here .. and draw a nice fat guideline on my neck .. that's it .. ok, I'm ready. guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue. Oh, well, 20 minutes to an ice cold beer.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, If they shit-can you, they have the luxury of paying for your 3 - 12 months of vacation/seeking re-employment. : D I can think of worse things to happen! Not to mention, you may land a job thats way better than the one you got now. Hell, I'd be able to go through this shit-heap of recordings I have and mix 'em down, if I had some time off. Sheesh, I'd be so lucky. -Hippie
In two days, it won't matter.

Bvdd, one employment councelor gave me a good grin/piece of advice: For every door that slams behind you, another one opens, but the hallways can be a bitch! With one exception, every layoff I've had resulted in a better and higher-paying job, hope the same happens for you. Good Luck!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I feel for you, Bvdd. I got laid-off in the beginning of June (I was working in Engineering at Texas Instruments). They were nice enough to give me a 3 months severance, which is paying for my summer, but I have to find something before the end of August.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Bvdd, I have been there and I know exactly how you feel. Since my youngest son was born in 1994 I have been on a job roller coaster. I've had 9 different jobs with 7 different companies. It has ended verynicely however and I'm now very happy with my situation. My main gig is Infomaster for Nordea IT which is the IT department for the largest banking conglomerate in Scandinavia. In my spare time I have the priviledge to freelance as a music journalist and write reviews of musical equipment. I also do some commercial music production. With hindsight I must say the umtil I got my present job my job life was awful but it was also a very good learning experience. I gave me the neccessary incentive to try things I wouldn't normally have had the courage to do. It made me try things I didn't know how to do and learn them on the job. I do wish you good luck and hope that your future will be bright. Mats Nermark

Don't you just hate how big buisnesses and companies merges rules our lifes. Our record company was just bought by BMG. It was a nice international company and they did plan a simultaniusly release of our project "www.DarlingNikkie.com" but now all international releases are on hold, and we all have to sit and wait... [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img] That life [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] ------------------ Visit http://www.DarlingNikkie.com/sounds for free MP3's

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

The job market is wide open in areas like Houston....of course I don't know exactly what you do. If you're in a tech field, you can just about walk into a job in short order. Unfortunately, most require travel. I got lucky that my current position doesn't require much. I'm home 90% of the time. When I was in the job market....I tried all the headhunters, but there was no substitute for networking, and courting my potential new employers. The headhunters all yeilded the same results...."move here and triple your salary.....travel 50%/home 50%......", for me that wasn't an option at that point. The East Coast has a glut of workers in my particular field....I just got lucky to find one that didn't have me living out of a suitcase. Plus it's more expensive to live East than say...Austin. I hear Arizona is booming right now, and Utah....our company has mega openings there. Good Luck in your job hunting.....you're welcome to corrospond with me if you're looking for something I can help you with. In my area we have Raytheon, Unidyne, Amsec, DOD stuff, Ford, etc.....lots of companies....that aren't actually in a hiring freeze. I even have some old Navy buddies that do some hiring and firing in some great companies like Brown and Root etc. The jobs are out there.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by bvdd: [b]...I've got about 3-5 months...[/b][/quote] Are you waiting around or gettin' that resume ready? If you are SURE that it is coming...fuck 'em...don't give them the satisfaction...find a job BEFORE you have to. If they don't cut you...you might still find something you like better anyway, or at least you will have prepared yourself for that possibility. Comfortably numb...a nice feeling, but it can be dangerous. Seems the longer I stay at my current position, the more "un-easy" I get about it. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I feel that I might get TOO comfortable and then...WHAM!!! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] "A rolling stone gathers no moss."...who said that?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Thanx all, and you're right .. attitude is everything. I'll wait and see with this bunch but meanwhile, I'm studying programming .. so maybe this is a hint about that 'door' opening. Bill

If you can wire up a studio, record, screw with computers, live in software (DAW) hell, do backups, update drivers, trouble-shoot studio problems, etc., etc. You guys have a hell of a lot more going for you than most of the general workforce out there. If you are doing the above, have no fear, you'll find a good job. Most people that come into my studio think I'm splitting atoms or something, they haven't a clue, ya know? [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/confused.gif[/img] -Hippie
In two days, it won't matter.

Similar situation. dot.com syndrome. The company is consolidating offices and wants to move me to Denver (I'm from the east coast) in several months. I'm not going. I'm going to do freelace web design, play with my bands, drum up some recording business and enjoy my freedom after 10 years of corporate BS. Turn it into a positive thing. You'll do fine.

Tough news. Tough times. A lot of folks are going to be facing this dilemma. The good news is that you'll probably find something you like even better someday. Until then, hang in there and do whatever you have to to get by. Remember that it can always be worse. Read the "George Harrison" thread if you don't believe me.

i had a job at one point in college and it was actually "going down the toilet".. among other things, i had to clean out urinals at this punk rock club (pointless trivia note...comedy central's jon stewart also worked there)..needless to say, that job sucked! -d. gauss

Archived