Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you also confused? Played a few keys at GC today

Have been having trouble deciding, keep going back and forth from the Korg PA 700/1000, and the MODX7. The Korg has powerful built-in speakers, a harmonizer built-in with volume and other controls on the top panel, select sounds designed with articulations, and a really decent feeling keybed with AT. The Yamaha has awesome sound quality and design possibilities, 2 assignable and 2 switch ports (!), crazy light weight, volume knob for USB audio, audio interface built-in, a 4 slider mod matrix and mixer, 76 keys (!) just a ton of good stuff.

I tried the MODX7 keybed today, it reminded me a bit of the FA06 keybed, felt kinda loose and unfocused. It's really the biggest drawback. It's one of those things, been playing my NS 88 Classic alot lately, and the weighted keys sure feel nice. Also played a Yamaha Arius YDP 189? About $2,200. What a pleasure to play on a well amplified keyboard with such great action and sound! And damn isn't that shell some fine looking furniture-

I'm rambling. But you get the point- with my limited funds and as well as my desire to have one keyboard at a time that I'm putting my time and energy into, this has been a weird journey. First I'm all in on the PA 700, then realizing that with the 600 songs I've recorded from my jam sessions that the MODX7 makes more sense 'cause it's a natural for downloading those songs into my laptop and adding more keys using a DAW. Then I hear AnotherScott talking about having gotten a PA 1000, about $2k, and suddenly I'm remembering how much I loved having a keyboard with powerful built-in speakers, and this one even has a harmonizer for the mic input, perfect for my melodica and alto recorder musings.

FWIW, even with only 61 keys and being pricey, I'd go with the PA 1000 now. I suppose that could be the subject of a new thread: "I'd like the keybed of X, with the sounds of Y, the lightweight of Z, and the knobby controls of W.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very different features, these arrangers and 'gigging' boards. You can get a lot of the sounds on both models these days, but the extensive styles really much more so on the arrangers.

Unfortunately you don"t get these manufacturer"s best semi weight synth actions in their budget models.

Just put an MODX7 next to a Montage 7 or Genos.

Or stick a Roland Jupiter-80 next to an FA-06.

Sucks really. Roland had decent actions on the D-50 and XP-80.

Are those days gone? I fear yes.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Unfortunately you don"t get these manufacturer"s best semi weight synth actions in their budget models.

And this is why I have a Montage 8 and a Roland Integra-7. But I don't gig - I only play at home, so I don't have to worry about weight.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

H

I tried the MODX7 keybed today, it reminded me a bit of the FA06 keybed, felt kinda loose and unfocused. It's really the biggest drawback. It's one of those things, been playing my NS 88 Classic alot lately, and the weighted keys sure feel nice. Also played a Yamaha Arius YDP 189? About $2,200. What a pleasure to play on a well amplified keyboard with such great action and sound! And damn isn't that shell some fine looking furniture-

I'm rambling. But you get the point- with my limited funds and as well as my desire to have one keyboard at a time that I'm putting my time and energy into, this has been a weird journey. First I'm all in on the PA 700, then realizing that with the 600 songs I've recorded from my jam sessions that the MODX7 makes more sense 'cause it's a natural for downloading those songs into my laptop and adding more keys using a DAW.

I say this all the time. One has to get clear on his keyboard requirements and priorities.

The MODX7 is simply budget. Its a key bed compromise, whatever. IOW, I will not enjoy the action.

Thus, no sale.

Secondly, you should make an effort to confirm that your 600 jam sessions will export sufficiently into MODX and the DAW you are using.

Thats what I would confirm since its a top priority for you.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

H

I'm rambling. But you get the point- with my limited funds and as well as my desire to have one keyboard at a time that I'm putting my time and energy into, this has been a weird journey. First I'm all in on the PA 700, then realizing that with the 600 songs I've recorded from my jam sessions that the MODX7 makes more sense 'cause it's a natural for downloading those songs into my laptop and adding more keys using a DAW.

I say this all the time. One has to get clear on his keyboard requirements and priorities.

The MODX7 is simply budget. Its a key bed compromise, whatever. IOW, I will not enjoy the action.

Thus, no sale.

Secondly, you should make an effort to confirm that your 600 jam sessions will export sufficiently into MODX and the DAW you are using.

Good points about getting clear on what's needed and getting up to speed with the DAW. Unfortunately I won't know how slam dunk hooking up the MODX to a Win10 laptop will be until I have the board.

Thus, no sale.

Good points about getting clear on what's needed and getting up to speed with the DAW. Unfortunately I won't know how slam dunk hooking up the MODX to a Win10 laptop will be until I have the board.

One of the written strong points of MODX is its DAW integration. But how songs are recorded and expected quality can vary.

You have about 30 days to put in a bunch of time to verify if your material will fly into MODX/DAW.

I was thinking of your return window.

This is also my plan with MODX [ possible purchase late this year]. I believe its easy to get immersed in MODX, time

flies, etc etc.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Actually, if I buy from GC, I've got a 45 day return window and they're local, so if I decide against there's no return shipping. Makes a try-before-buying purchase from GC more appealing, even if I end up paying more than an online shop.