Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Golf club question

I recently got 'old guy' hybrid irons (Cleveland Launcher HB) and the swing fitting paired me with senior shafts (graphite).

My question is whether it would make sense to put change the regular shafts on my driver, fairway wood(s) and hybrid rescue club?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily.

Without actually measuring your existing R flex driver / woods shafts, you don't know how the shafts actually come in. Many off-the-rack shafts tend to measure softer than the printed label. Don't know if you had the clubs reshafted after purchase.

Also, there's a lot of conflicting opinions / guidelines / rules on shaft fitting on the inter webs, but a lot of folks suggest a flex higher on driver than irons. I don't know why many say that, but presume it has to do with many recreational players loading up driver differently than with their irons.

I would probably suggest go demo identical drivers in R and Senior flex and see what the machine results are - launch angle, ball spin, etc.

Not necessarily.

Without actually measuring your existing R flex driver / woods shafts, you don't know how the shafts actually come in. Many off-the-rack shafts tend to measure softer than the printed label. Don't know if you had the clubs reshafted after purchase.

Also, there's a lot of conflicting opinions / guidelines / rules on shaft fitting on the inter webs, but a lot of folks suggest a flex higher on driver than irons. I don't know why many say that, but presume it has to do with many recreational players loading up driver differently than with their irons.

I would probably suggest go demo identical drivers in R and Senior flex and see what the machine results are - launch angle, ball spin, etc.

Good idea. Thanks.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

It's not just the flex that needs to be considered - there is also the "kick-point", lie angle of the club (although this one would be moot for woods, mostly) ...you also should look at the length of the shaft. Off the shelf sets are all standard based on some average male somewhere hahaha! Even a half inch difference up or down can make a world of difference.

FWIW, I believe all your shafts should be the same. As in, kick points, lie angles and flex. Separate of course for woods and irons.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

FWIW, I believe all your shafts should be the same.

New sig time.

hahaha! You do try, awfully hard don't you. And it is so cute to watch. But If you want a date, you just gotta ask :) no need to keep stalking!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I worked in R&D for one of the big golf mfgs for 4 yrs. I"d tell you it makes a fairly small difference and probably not worth the cost of changing, but that all depends how obsessive a golfer you are. If golf is THAT important - every difference is a difference.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Thanks for all the replies.

At my best, I was a 16-17 handicap. Just started playing regularly after a few years off and am now somewhat north of 20. The last nine I played was typical: bogey, birdie, quadruple... three pars for a 48. (I often do well in a quota game!)

I generally have a wasted shot or two on too many holes, but hit enough really sweet shots to make me think I could be a decent player. Going to a short game school would probably help me more than anything else.

I do like the hybrid irons. When I hit them right, they"re about a half club longer than my old Cleveland irons (TA-7).

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

For whatever it's worth, the lowest my index ever got was a 9. But I think I'm really an 11 - 12 at my best, if I'm ever playing regularly for a whole season. I just don't have the desire to get better at it than that, and I'll never take it very seriously. Mostly it's a pastime to share with my sons, and it's nice to take them out for a round and know I'll have 4 to 5 hours of focused time with them to talk, catch up, impart live advice and such.

That being said, I would suggest the best investment the recreational player could make isn't the equipment - even with poorly matched equipment, you will score well and enjoy the game with some good repeatable fundamentals.

For me, what helped was some good instruction from a savvy pro, then followed that up with Golftec instruction. That's the video lesson thing where the lessons are in person, they film every swing from multiple angles, and show you what they want you to change and improve. That was a real significant thing for me and helped me correct a number of ingrained bad habits. This in turn helps me do a little correction during a round when bad swings rear their ugly head.

In some ways, a lot like keyboards I suppose. Anyway, just my 0.02 from another hacker.

For whatever it's worth, the lowest my index ever got was a 9. But I think I'm really an 11 - 12 at my best, if I'm ever playing regularly for a whole season. I just don't have the desire to get better at it than that, and I'll never take it very seriously. Mostly it's a pastime to share with my sons, and it's nice to take them out for a round and know I'll have 4 to 5 hours of focused time with them to talk, catch up, impart live advice and such.

That being said, I would suggest the best investment the recreational player could make isn't the equipment - even with poorly matched equipment, you will score well and enjoy the game with some good repeatable fundamentals.

For me, what helped was some good instruction from a savvy pro, then followed that up with Golftec instruction. That's the video lesson thing where the lessons are in person, they film every swing from multiple angles, and show you what they want you to change and improve. That was a real significant thing for me and helped me correct a number of ingrained bad habits. This in turn helps me do a little correction during a round when bad swings rear their ugly head.

In some ways, a lot like keyboards I suppose. Anyway, just my 0.02 from another hacker.

I have some friends who have used GolfTec and really improved. Maybe this winter I"ll give it a try (and win a lot of events next summer while my HC is still 20+!).

On a recent outing to Ballyneal, two of us were over twenty and six guys were 10-13. I didn"t finish last in the series of games the member organized. And I"ve found that good players don"t mind a high handicapper as long as you can still play fast and I"ve always been a very fast player despite my relatively poor game.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Unless you"re playing regularly, and are good, I recommend staying away from 'whippy" shafts. They may give you a bit more distance, but that sometimes means just further into the woods. I have a few Callaways and a really nice Ping G5 but tend to always bring my Ben Hogan instead specifically because of the stiff shaft. I just find it easier to draw my drive with it. Your yardage may vary. ;)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Feherty said in an interview once that unless they are pros, people that take Golf too seriously are boring. They are constantly doing this and trying that to get just a little better.

The average golfer just plays for the fun of the game. That's where I am. Hitting that one perfect drive, Knocking the approach shot stiff, chipping in from off the green, draining a long putt, those are what makes it fun. Even though there may only be one of them once in a round, they're still fun. One of my favorite shots was a 7-iron from a fairway bunker that ended only 2 feet from the pin. I still remember that shot.

I don't even keep score when I play

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Feherty said in an interview once that unless they are pros, people that take Golf too seriously are boring. They are constantly doing this and trying that to get just a little better.

The average golfer just plays for the fun of the game. That's where I am. Hitting that one perfect drive, Knocking the approach shot stiff, chipping in from off the green, draining a long putt, those are what makes it fun. Even though there may only be one of them once in a round, they're still fun. One of my favorite shots was a 7-iron from a fairway bunker that ended only 2 feet from the pin. I still remember that shot.

I don't even keep score when I play

A reference you"ll know: for a few years I had a membership at Spessard Holland, over on the beach. Small course, but it had its challenges. The only hole you could really open up on was the one that ran from A1A all the way to the Indian River (13th hole?). It had a mobile home park running the full length on the left. I shanked my share into them. You would hear a metallic CLANG!!! and pray some retiree didn"t come out screaming at you. Fun times! :)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

good players don"t mind a high handicapper as long as you can still play fast
Correct

Feherty said in an interview once that unless they are pros, people that take Golf too seriously are boring.
Some truth to that. I was on the college golf team, playing 4-5 time a week and tons of practice on top of that. It does pretty much take over your life, was shooting mid 70s. Definitely the most fun I ever had playing golf. I don't play much now, but fanatical about pro golf. Got invited to walk a practice round with an up and comer at the Safeway Open in Napa (Ollie Schniederjans), these kids are hitting 3-4 irons 260+ yards, crazy.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Unless you"re playing regularly, and are good, I recommend staying away from 'whippy" shafts. They may give you a bit more distance, but that sometimes means just further into the woods.

Been there, done that. :facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.